GDT: World Junior Championships 2013 - Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
RNH was not nearly as dominant as I thought he would be in terms of consistency. I understand it's probably hard to get motivated for this tournament though.

I know he missed the cut when it was his year, and that should have given him some extra 'fuel', but I'd imagine the heartbreak of not making the WJC team ends pretty quickly when you put up the type of numbers he did in his first season. If I'm in his shoes, I'm not nearly as upset about not getting the gold as some of the other kids who are heading back to junior. I wonder if the CBA talks heating up, point more towards an NHL season, had any impact on his mindset.

The lack of physicality was also really disturbing. I know the exhibitions games didn't help when every other shift there was a penalty called. Still, whenever the games are in Canada it seems like Canada hits teams out of the arenas. Maybe it has to do with rink size, but still I expected more from them.

The American team is extremely talented though. The quality of their top players are more dominant then who they had last year IMO. Specifically Trouba/Gaudreau were elite at their positions (although Gaudreau started slowly, he was always dangerous).

I would add to this post, none of the high picks have had what would be termed as dominant tournaments.

Yakupov, Huberdeau, Reinhart, Galchenyuk, Hamilton, Strome, Scheifele, and even Rielly can be included into the list.

For me Yakupov, Huberdeau, Hamilton, and RNH have been particularily disappointing. Expected a lot more from them. Was looking more from Galchenyuk but not as surprised he has had virtually no impact in the last 3 games, but it is interesting to add to RNH, how most of the high picks were so lacklustre this tourney.

JMcLeaf

Just finished watching Russia Sweden game. Much more entertaining than Canada's game.

Hope Sweden wins gold!

Nice to see Nilsson get POG award

JMcLeaf

So... Three questions:

1. What the hell happened in this game?

USA showed up and we didn't. Canada played like they didn't give a ****. It was painful to watch.

2. How did Rielly play in this mess?

He struggled like the rest of the team today. He screened Subban on the 2nd goal.

3. Did Biggs look good at least?

I didn't notice him that much except for on the PK where he looked good

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I really wish we had NHL head coaches in the WJC instead of guys like Spott. We were the most talented team going into the tournament and to go out getting a bronze at best is a disappointment.

The American team played really really good and Canada just didn't show up for this one at all. USA made adjustments after their loss against us...I'm not sure that we were quite prepared for them at all.

Entire team was terrible and goaltending alone can't be blamed for a loss this big.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Just finished watching Russia Sweden game. Much more entertaining than Canada's game.

Hope Sweden wins gold!

Nice to see Nilsson get POG award

Yeah, one of our prospects will win gold. Nilsson or Biggs.

I think we've got a good D in Nilsson, he's a ferocious physical D...the kind of guy you would be "scared" to play against.

JMcLeaf

Besides a different coach, what other changes to this team do you think would have brought us success? Any players you felt should have made it over somebody that was on the team?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Biggest let-downs of the tournament were by far and away, RNH and Huberdeau. No excuses. Lacked leadership, and lacked pretty much everything that we thought gave us an advantage.

Biggest smile on the face comes from Nilsson. Really stepped up and played well when forced into an increased role.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Besides a different coach, what other changes to this team do you think would have brought us success? Any players you felt should have made it over somebody that was on the team?

Anyone but Murphy on the back-end.

JMcLeaf

Biggest let-downs of the tournament were by far and away, RNH and Huberdeau. No excuses. Lacked leadership, and lacked pretty much everything that we thought gave us an advantage.

Biggest smile on the face comes from Nilsson. Really stepped up and played well when forced into an increased role.

RNH should not have been captain. He had some good moments, but disappointing overall considering he was in the NHL last year.

Huberdeau was very disappointing for me as well. Didn't show up when we really needed him.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto

Derrick Pouliot should have made the team instead of Ryan Murphy.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011

The Canadian team lacked grit, and net presence. If you look at the US goals from today, Subban had no chance on most of them. In contrast, Gibson saw the vast majority of the shots he's faced.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

The selection of Murphy was a minor error. While he was among the candidates for that #7 spot, he didn't give the team something we lacked. Dumba brought a big-time physical presence that team Canada's blueline lacked. Once Murphy showed he was out of his league, that should have been the end of his ice time, but Spott decided he was going to pile errors upon errors, and just create a big mess.

Up front, I don't understand how Tom Wilson was left off the roster. His physical play was a must-have.

Also, Monahan's versatility should have locked him into the 13th forward spot. His game is just so complete, I don't understand what Spott as thinking on that one.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah, one of our prospects will win gold. Nilsson or Biggs.

I think we've got a good D in Nilsson, he's a ferocious physical D...the kind of guy you would be "scared" to play against.

Really liked him for a long time, but I'm glad he's developing so well .. Even Burke sounded impressed by his latest comments, Nilsson is becoming more than just a hard hitting physical defenseman

Really surprised by the lack of leadership in the group .. And while RNH has scored a lot of points, I'm surprised he didn't dominate more .. His presence on the ice wasn't standing out to me personally

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
The selection of Murphy was a minor error. While he was among the candidates for that #7 spot, he didn't give the team something we lacked. Dumba brought a big-time physical presence that team Canada's blueline lacked. Once Murphy showed he was out of his league, that should have been the end of his ice time, but Spott decided he was going to pile errors upon errors, and just create a big mess.

Up front, I don't understand how Tom Wilson was left off the roster. His physical play was a must-have.

Also, Monahan's versatility should have locked him into the 13th forward spot. His game is just so complete, I don't understand what Spott as thinking on that one.
Pretty much agree with all of this. Binnington should of also been the starter as he was much better in camp.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I was shocked and I bet the other teams relieved when Wilson did not make the team.....must have....yes!

Apr 1, 2010
Spott was an idiot to keep Rielly on the bench. He double shifted him a bit towards the end of the first today but, over the whole process he really didn't give Rielly a fair shake.

Didn't play him during selection because he was a lock, but then sat him on the bench in favour of a bunch of guys who couldn't even stand up today.

I only saw the first 2 periods and one of the most dangerous moments was Rielly's 1-on-5 solo rush and quick shot.

Spott sucks.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
We can question how the roster was put together all day long, but imo it was the best roster in the tournament.

They just thought they were better than they were and the USA unpleasantly knocked some sense into them.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County

Ryan Murray would have been great if he wasn't hurt. :(

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
RNH played absolutely outstanding until today. I was WAY more disappointed with Schiefele and Huberdeau. For two guys that were supposed to play in the NHL this year, they didn't stand out at all. Expected them to do alot more.

Didn't like Murphy at all, although I'm not sure there were better options with Murray injured. I really don't think sending Dumba/Corrado/whoever instead of Murphy would have made a huge difference.

Agree with Dreakmur on Monahan. I thought for sure his ability to play both a top 6 and bottom 6 role would have gotten on the team and make an impact.

That said, I'm not sure any changes would've made much of a difference. Simply put, the years of Canada making the gold medal game nearly every year are over. The playing field has evened with USA, Russia, Sweden, and Finland having a legitimate chance to medal every year. Not to mention upset potentials like the Swiss, Czechs, and Slovaks. And in a single knockout tournament, if Canada doesn't bring their A game in an elimination game (like they did today) they can and will get beat.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
RNH played absolutely outstanding until today. I was WAY more disappointed with Schiefele and Huberdeau. For two guys that were supposed to play in the NHL this year, they didn't stand out at all. Expected them to do alot more.

Didn't like Murphy at all, although I'm not sure there were better options with Murray injured. I really don't think sending Dumba/Corrado/whoever instead of Murphy would have made a huge difference.

Agree with Dreakmur on Monahan. I thought for sure his ability to play both a top 6 and bottom 6 role would have gotten on the team and make an impact.

That said, I'm not sure any changes would've made much of a difference. Simply put, the years of Canada making the gold medal game nearly every year are over. The playing field has evened with USA, Russia, Sweden, and Finland having a legitimate chance to medal every year. Not to mention upset potentials like the Swiss, Czechs, and Slovaks. And in a single knockout tournament, if Canada doesn't bring their A game in an elimination game (like they did today) they can and will get beat.
Agree with everything in this post Terryyyy

Also, Hamilton was extremely unimpressive. Expected him to do much more for all the hype he's received. Not a fan of his game tbh.
Murphy is trash. Period. Has great offensive tools though. Awesome skater, rocket of a shot, but his hockey IQ is CLEARLY lacking... His games suited for a men's league lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad