GDT: World Junior Championships 2013 - Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Sunaya Sapurji ‏@sunayas
I asked Elias Lindholm what Swedish coach @RRnnberg said to them before the shootout: "He said 'enjoy the moment'" #WJC2013

This made me smile, sounds like a nice coach.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
knowing spott...it'll be subban again.

If our team has some flame left or supposedly had some flame for the game that they were suppose to show up for in the morning, they better show it against the russians.
I think that Russian game is going to be ugly. At least Russia should be fired up about winning one for their fans. Can't imagine Spott being able to motivate his team to be much better than they were today.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
With this much talent, the blame has to be on the coaches, no?

Easy to blame the coaching, IMO.
This tournament is difficult due to the fact the medal round is a knockout competition. One sub-par game and you are done. There isnt much between the top teams. Canada still has the most depth in terms of talent, but the other teams do play more together througout the year with evens the field, IMO. Bottom line, Canada could probably put a 2nd team into this tournament and they would challenge for medal also.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
This is definitely on the coach. I've never seen a team come out that flat. The first period was atrocious and it was downhill from there.. Spott wasn't the coach to get this done.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Top to bottom, everyone involved on the Canadian side. Spott should never be back, and the pathetic performance these kids put on shouldn't just fall on him.

This blowout is on everyone. Never seen a Canadian national team play with less heart, and a lack of guts, like they did this morning.

RNH? Huberdeau? Jenner? They all rolled over. Pathetic.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Or maybe an acknowledgement that other teams have talent too?

IMO, this was a weaker than average US team. In terms of overall skill level I would rate even last years US team higher.

They had guys like Zucker, Saad, Coyle, Bjugstad, Etem, Watson, and they had skilled defence in Tiniordi, Trouba, Merrill, Clendenning

This US team led by Phil Housely was coached excellently. Notice how Jones has been paired a lot more with Trouba since the first Canada game, or how Housley moved Grimaldi off the top line

I cannot stress this enough. When Canada had a PP with 7 minutes left in the game, the PP QB was a guy who had 0 points to this point in the tournament.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
pretty sad tourney for canada. IMO they didn't look good in any of the games, before or during the tournament.

bad enough that they always take two lines of "grinders" every damn year no matter what, but even worse when they lean so hard on underperforming vets ahead of super talented youngsters.

they never looked good IMO, and even worse they never even tried to shake things up to try something different.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Didn't see any impact of coaching really ... Seriously looked like guys playing on a beer league team, rolling whatever lines they felt liked worked, having no system really, and making very little adjustments to the gameplan

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
certainly as not embrassing as russia last year...

but um.. i do feel usa will win
amazing team, ****EN AMAZINNNNNGGG

strong D... great fowards, #13 and galchen

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Time to bring back the Frenchie goalies. We used to dominate when we had Q goalies in nets. What has happened the past 4 years is our goaltending has not been able to steal games for us when it mattered.

When was the last time a goalie stole Canada a game? Carey Price?

Its funny how we always play the Russians in these Subway Series or Summer Challenges. We gotta start playing the Americans they are our true rivals now. Enough of this nostalgia 1972 and the Russians are the enemy and the team to beat. The Americans are the one to beat now.

They stole our system and are working it just as well as us now.

Subban vs USA round 1.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
The funny thing is, as a Canadian, I saw this coming before it even happened based on the selection of this team, the way the lines were structured, and the rotation of players on the ice. There is just so much different than what even the casual hockey fan would do. And it failed.

As I have said before, I find this tournament entirely meaningless based on it's sample size and the over-hype from commercialization, patriotism, and economics. However, even with that said, if this is not back to the 'drawing-board' for Canada, then I do not know what is. I think it's time to start changing how the Canadian style of hockey is used to select for this tournament.

The Americans had a clear strategy based off their elite goaltender and strength from defense from two of the best blue-liners in the tournament. This was their identity. What did Canada have? Can anyone hear even definitively state what the identity of this team was? The system was completely ineffective by 'role-players' who did not even perform their basic task, which supposedly got them on the team. The other key players and their strengths were not utilized enough, though everyone saw how effective they were in the small amount of ice-time they were given. Rielly and Jenner come to mind in this regard.

Worst of all, it seemed like the Canadian players were fine with this result and are happy to be playing Russia in the Bronze Medal game. Not one single player or coach ignited this team. No passion, which surprisingly, I thought Canada would maintain regardless of circumstance. I guess not. On to next year, as they say.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
Spott's love affair for Murphy all tournament was disappointing. I'd like to see the TOI for our lineup, specifically defenceman. Anywhere to find that?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Holy **** that was a godawful game. They looked more uninspired than me playing a game of shinny. Jesus Christ. And I'm so done with Ryan Murphy. I thought he'd played okay up until last game, and then this game he totally **** the bed. I'd be hard pressed to name a worse single-game performance than that. Wow. Rielly was not good either. Toe drag, five hole from the top of the circles every time. Nobody showed up for Canada but Binnington. Pathetic game. They deserved the loss.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I thought there was definitely too many MIA's on Canada's squad throughout the tournament. Sure some of them got points against the weaker teams but barely noticed most of the bottom 6 forwards. Huberdeau wasn't good enough at all.

Hamilton wasn't good enough for a top defenseman and Murphy was massively overplayed.

They could have used some big time energy players. I think the penalties/suspensions that Jenner, Lipon, Camara and MacKinnon got over the last couple games for their hits definitely softened the team. They were so afraid to take a major penalty.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
RNH was not nearly as dominant as I thought he would be in terms of consistency. I understand it's probably hard to get motivated for this tournament though.

I know he missed the cut when it was his year, and that should have given him some extra 'fuel', but I'd imagine the heartbreak of not making the WJC team ends pretty quickly when you put up the type of numbers he did in his first season. If I'm in his shoes, I'm not nearly as upset about not getting the gold as some of the other kids who are heading back to junior. I wonder if the CBA talks heating up, point more towards an NHL season, had any impact on his mindset.

The lack of physicality was also really disturbing. I know the exhibitions games didn't help when every other shift there was a penalty called. Still, whenever the games are in Canada it seems like Canada hits teams out of the arenas. Maybe it has to do with rink size, but still I expected more from them.

The American team is extremely talented though. The quality of their top players are more dominant then who they had last year IMO. Specifically Trouba/Gaudreau were elite at their positions (although Gaudreau started slowly, he was always dangerous).

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
USA played well the last two games, the confidence & momentum was on their side. Not making excuses, okay yes I am, but two days rest is a KILLER. The confidence builder dies down. That said, I told you the US team were good. Congrats to them!

USA vs Sweden... OMG!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
RNH was not nearly as dominant as I thought he would be in terms of consistency. I understand it's probably hard to get motivated for this tournament though.

I know he missed the cut when it was his year, and that should have given him some extra 'fuel', but I'd imagine the heartbreak of not making the WJC team ends pretty quickly when you put up the type of numbers he did in his first season. If I'm in his shoes, I'm not nearly as upset about not getting the gold as some of the other kids who are heading back to junior. I wonder if the CBA talks heating up, point more towards an NHL season, had any impact on his mindset.

The lack of physicality was also really disturbing. I know the exhibitions games didn't help when every other shift there was a penalty called. Still, whenever the games are in Canada it seems like Canada hits teams out of the arenas. Maybe it has to do with rink size, but still I expected more from them.

The American team is extremely talented though. The quality of their top players are more dominant then who they had last year IMO. Specifically Trouba/Gaudreau were elite at their positions (although Gaudreau started slowly, he was always dangerous).

I believe it was a combination of issues: When you leave Tom Wilson home you know what type of team we are getting. Spott Benched Strome several times in this tourney and he was our best player....yes he plays with an edge. " you have to let your thoroughbreds run and he kept them in the barn"

I feel that players played scared.....afraid to make a mistake and get benched. That is a death notice to players. Spott ripping on players who take penalties in the media. No support from your coach and the whole team concept gets lost. Remember Steve Downie and Sutter...that is what we were missing.

I would have like to see just how good Mackinnon, Hamilton, Rielly would have been under Housley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad