GDT: World Junior Championships 2013 - Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger Mayhew*

Jones is getting too much hate. He just had an off game, and his bad plays have been over-scrutinized.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
It's not hate. Most people realize that one off game doesn't define a player. Often times, games like this are good for kids. It's a learning experience. He can sot down with the staff, watch the tape, and move forward.

He'll be fine. Dynamite player. Canada has to find a way to limit his skating room.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We all knew that there would be players that get no attention in North America that look pretty good when they're on the ice with their peers.

Russia is a little different than Germany.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
We all knew that there would be players that get no attention in North America that look pretty good when they're on the ice with their peers.

Russia is a little different than Germany.

Camar sounds like a perfect example. Danault to some extent as well.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
^^THIS.

USA got PWNED today. Jones' had an off game but he'll bounce back. Russia impressed me, especially Mackie in net. Canada will have to get bodies in front of mackie.

I thought there was ebb and flow in this game and both goalies made some good saves. Russia had a couple clear chances that were stymied that might have really turned the game into a route, but in the 2nd. the Americans controlled much of the game.

A few people on the draft thread had Nichushkin rated quite high ... they may have been Euro posters, but obvious he can skate and is a bull. Not sure about his hands or IQ.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=84966
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
The CAMARA hit was clean. He didn't leave his feet, and people like to think it was dirty. Unfortunate the guy got hurt that was the basis of the penalty according to the rule book.

Russia had a couple clear chances that were stymied that might have really turned the game into a route, but in the 2nd. the Americans controlled much of the game.

Russians dominated the 1st and 3rd periods. Mackie was outstanding. Valeri stood out to me... and Yakupov is a selfish player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Anyone that likes European no touch hockey will love the Camara 5 and a game. Even the ref said it was a clean hit. Said it again, hockey was invented by us and we have these no touch pansy euro's calling 5 and game penalties for sneezing on players. Terribly calls.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Have to say this, Finns lost. Atleast one poster isn't surprised when all you read last week was they were a gold worthy team. Haven't heard Barkov's name much yet.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Have to say this, Finns lost. Atleast one poster isn't surprised when all you read last week was they were a gold worthy team. Haven't heard Barkov's name much yet.

If only a game decided a players worth then Ruslan Fedetenko would be a star in this league and Maxime Talbot would be better than Sidney Crosby.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Americans lost. But it isn't like anyone was saying they were the best team. :sarcasm: I heard quite a lot about Jones watching the winning goal. :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Judging by the highlights that game could have gone either way. And its the Russians, tournament favs for gold, I maintain the pre tourney games home ice, ref advantage in Finland games were basically meaningless, I am not trying to be negative as to being realistic with all the Barkov, Finn bandwagon talk.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Judging by the highlights that game could have gone either way. And its the Russians, tournament favs for gold, I maintain the pre tourney games home ice, ref advantage in Finland games were basically meaningless, hey I am not trying to be negative, just being realistic with all the Barkov, Finn bandwagon talk.

Maybe we should temper the Jones hype then?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If only a game decided a players worth then Ruslan Fedetenko would be a star in this league and Maxime Talbot would be better than Sidney Crosby.

Valeri Nickhuskin just did, it showed what type of prospect this kid could be on the game winning goal, its the reason why I am so high on this kid. What a power rush to assist on that key goal, and to make it mean more, it was at a key moment of the game. Things I touched on about him months ago. He's going to be a good one.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Valeri Nickhuskin just did, it showed what type of prospect this kid could be on the game winning goal, its the reason why I am so high on this kid. What a power rush to assist on that key goal, and to make it mean more, it was at a key moment of the game. Things I touched on about him months ago. He's going to be a good one.

The point I am trying to convey is that a game or two games doesn't define a player or a prospect, neither does a tournament. Rielly a game back wasn't making much of a spark but if I was someone else who had no idea on what he is capable of, just took that game for my assessment then I'd easily say he's a non-factor player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The point I am trying to convey is that a game or two games doesn't define a player or a prospect, neither does a tournament. Rielly a game back wasn't making much of a spark but if I was someone else who had no idea on what he is capable of, just took that game for my assessment then I'd easily say he's a non-factor player.

My point is just as someone can downplay the significance of the tourney, more times than not, this is the tourney most hockey people consider as the most important for hockey prospects since they are playing an intense brand of hockey against their own peer group. This tournament means a lot to all nations, and it does it can be a great predictor of talent as it has been for many great NHL players.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
My point is just as someone can downplay the significance of the tourney, more times than not, this is the tourney most hockey people consider as the most important for hockey prospects since they are playing an intense brand of hockey against their own peer group. This tournament means a lot to all nations, and it does it can be a great predictor of talent as it has been for many great NHL players.

You are forgetting Barkov is also one of the youngest in the tourney. Not to mention we have been in this same area in the past with wellwood, carlo coliacovo and steen. Pogge being the most obvious one. Out of those guys steen has probably made the best impact as a solid two way player. Pogge is still a work in progress and not many are sure if he'll hit it. This tournament might boost up rankings but it doesn't always define the prospect. Yes I see the value of this tournament as it's a fight between nations for pride but it won't define how their careers will take off nor will it define their true potential and skill, it can only give us a little view on what's possible not probable.

You like Huberdeau as he's quite the player so it's surprising you are underplaying the skill Barkov as they are similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad