Pre-Game Talk: World Junior Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castle1*

its against Germany... So don't expect the most exciting game

Canada better win...something like 4-minimum. Odds are the Horvat line continues to play well...especially in this first game.

Nov 1, 2011
I think being at the WJC in Vancouver and having had tickets to the whole tournament ruined this event for me.

I'm excited to see Horvat but I know that most of the teams don't even field semi-competitive rosters and that we as Canadians are the only market that seems to care about it which is mostly due to TSN needing some filler for the Christmas season.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I think being at the WJC in Vancouver and having had tickets to the whole tournament ruined this event for me.

I'm excited to see Horvat but I know that most of the teams don't even field semi-competitive rosters and that we as Canadians are the only market that seems to care about it which is mostly due to TSN needing some filler for the Christmas season.

i agree we are the only country who seems to care about it... but it doesn't bother me.. Its their loss. Its great hockey..

about most teams not bringing a competitive team... theres enough that make it interesting anyways at least its interesting to me.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Same. I used to passionately care about this tournament as a teenager in the early-mid 1990s.

The older I get, the less and less I care. It's hard to get too worked up about a tournament that nobody else really cares about. And our attitude and the hype around this thing is becoming very 'American' ... it feels like a bit of a masturbatory pom-pom waving exercise.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Same. I used to passionately care about this tournament as a teenager in the early-mid 1990s.

The older I get, the less and less I care. It's hard to get too worked up about a tournament that nobody else really cares about. And our attitude and the hype around this thing is becoming very 'American' ... it feels like a bit of a masturbatory pom-pom waving exercise.

Most years it's a competition between 4 teams—that's not very exciting. I personally don't like tournaments that last less than 9 games. I *love* NHL playoffs and the possibility for 28 grueling, grinding games to prove the champion.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Most years it's a competition between 4 teams—that's not very exciting. I personally don't like tournaments that last less than 9 games. I *love* NHL playoffs and the possibility for 28 grueling, grinding games to prove the champion.

ya but its nice because we get to experience what winning a championship feels like!

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
actually I really like the WJC's because you get a really good idea of what the future of the NHL will look like, and I don't just mean from team canada but from well lately seems to be USA and Sweden Dominating.. Its really impressive the amount of hockey players Swedens turns out for the population of that country...

Also .. I wasn't aware of this but hockey is super popular in Slovakia, but they don't give a **** about the WJC.. They only care about the world championship and the olympics

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
actually I really like the WJC's because you get a really good idea of what the future of the NHL will look like, and I don't just mean from team canada but from well lately seems to be USA and Sweden Dominating.. Its really impressive the amount of hockey players Swedens turns out for the population of that country...

Also .. I wasn't aware of this but hockey is super popular in Slovakia, but they don't give a **** about the WJC.. They only care about the world championship and the olympics

With 2009 the intrest in WJC increased in Sweden. Before that it was a very marginal event, some years before 2009 almost no coverage at all. I think it is a cultural difference in general between European sports and NA. That college sports is popular in NA is for example a completely alien concept in Europe (not a very homogenous continent but in this respect one can generalise).

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
With 2009 the intrest in WJC increased in Sweden. Before that it was a very marginal event, some years before 2009 almost no coverage at all. I think it is a cultural difference in general between European sports and NA. That college sports is popular in NA is for example a completely alien concept in Europe (not a very homogenous continent but in this respect one can generalise).

College sports are pretty unpopular in Canada as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad