Pre-Game Talk: World Junior Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
So they don't mean have a giant, using a pol vault with a blade on the end, as a stick, when they say bruins hockey...

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
So he's been a part of 4/8 of Canada's goals and over 90% on the dot.

Yeah. He's sure been terrible.
Well to put things into prospective....good thing the Leafs kept the tournament MVP in 2006 over some journeyman goalie prospect (some obscure guy named Rask - I'm not even sure where he's playing now).

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
So he's been a part of 4/8 of Canada's goals and over 90% on the dot.

Yeah. He's sure been terrible.

I know that in terms of zone starts London has Bo starting in his own zone often, is the same happening with team Canada?

That face off percentage all but guarantee's Horvat will be used in critical face off situations. Gaining possession off the dot at that rate is an advantage for Canada.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Did you guys even listen to what was described when they said "bruins mold"?

It's not about hitting. It's about supporting the puck and breaking out as a unit not playing a stretched game with long passing.

The statement had little to do with physical play or after the whistle stuff.

And after I typed all that I see tc23 was listening.

And lo and behold, the team looks slow and unskilled vs. a better team like Sweden.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Well to put things into prospective....good thing the Leafs kept the tournament MVP in 2006 over some journeyman goalie prospect (some obscure guy named Rask - I'm not even sure where he's playing now).

Are you talking about Justin Pogge?

arsmaster*

He's 17 in a couple weeks, but I agree - this kid is unreal. He's going to put up bigger season's point wise than Crosby did.

Sorry. I just don't see it at this point.

I think it's unfair and unrealistic to expect this kid to be better than Sid.

Sid was better at the same age IMO.

If McDavid matures physically and his legs become tree trunks like Sid's then there is a chance because he has elite vision and sense, but Crosby is a freak and has so much lower body and core strength it seems unlikely Connor gets there (at least it's hard to come up with that projection when the kid look 13 years old).

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
McDavid could probably play in the NHL right now and not get completely overwhelmed. At 16. That is insane.

He looks better than guys like Laughton who are three years older.

I dunno about that. He still plays largely a perimeter game at the Junior level which likely wouldn't translate well. He's just not physically there yet.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013

If McDavid matures physically and his legs become tree trunks like Sid's then there is a chance because he has elite vision and sense, but Crosby is a freak and has so much lower body and core strength it seems unlikely Connor gets there (at least it's hard to come up with that projection when the kid look 13 years old).

Crosby had more points in the Q then Mcdavid is putting up in the OHL. But McDavid looks better so far in the WJC's then Crosby did.. Crosby scored some pretty goals and had some points as a 16 year old but he didn't look as Dominant as McDavid has looked IMO

arsmaster*

Crosby had more points in the Q then Mcdavid is putting up in the OHL. But McDavid looks better so far in the WJC's then Crosby did.. Crosby scored some pretty goals and had some points as a 16 year old but he didn't look as Dominant as McDavid has looked IMO
The tournament hasn't even started?

I don't get the basis for that comparison, and I don't think McDavid has looked all that dominant. Just looks like a really good player.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
The tournament hasn't even started?

I don't get the basis for that comparison, and I don't think McDavid has looked all that dominant. Just looks like a really good player.

In the three pre tournament games..

And I think he has looked dominant. Fastest skater on the team creates space where it looks like no space can be created..

I guess we will see how he does starting on boxing day.. I don't remember how close Crosby was to his 17th birthday , but I remember he only got to see PP time in 2004 in 2005 he was definitely used more as a 17 year old but I still didn't think he dominated.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

That would be the only seperation, Crosby's a physical beast even though he's not that tall. Like I said at the prospects board once McDavid morph's from a gangly teen to a man in his early 20's look the **** out.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Re: McDavid, it's almost a shame the Nucks probably won't suck enough to have a chance at him. Wouldn't be surprised though to see the Oilers with another top pick, and still somehow find a way to **** it up.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Still think Gaunce's experience on the big ice would have helped a lot - it's a shame he didn't make it.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
So is Bo our only prospect at the wjc's?

Shy

I think So... I was hoping Cole Cassels might be considered for the American Squad , but I guess they are to deep of a team to even consider him even if he's having a great year. I think we drafted mostly Canadian plays at this years draft. And from 2012 I can't remember anyone outside of Gaunce at the moment.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
What time is the game at I saw... 4:30 am Pacific is that right? I saw another that said 4:00 am pacific

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
What time is the game at I saw... 4:30 am Pacific is that right? I saw another that said 4:00 am pacific

From the WJC board:

Thursday, December 26 - Germany vs. Canada - 7:30 am ET

Sounds like luongo321's right - pre-game at 4 and game at 4:30.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Ugh 430 start is absolutely terrible.

Going to watch the third at 630 and then head downtown for some shopping I guess.

Edit: Will TSN be streaming or will I be using firstrowsports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad