WJC: World Junior Championship Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Every country inquires about eligible players playing for NHL teams, not just Canada.

No one is denying that. It's a much bigger advantage (possible) for Canada though. What's up with the persecution complex though?

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
No one is denying that. It's a much bigger advantage (possible) for Canada though. What's up with the persecution complex though?

Not feeling persecuted. Your post I responded to implied to me at least that only Canada "request" NHL players.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Not Finland...

It was a while since Finland had a u-20 player in NHL, Nokelainen and Bergenheim is the last ones I can think of.

Before Karlsson/Hedman/Pääjärvi/Josefson/Ekman-Larsson/Larsson/Landeskog it was very unusual that Sweden was missing players. I can't think of any case in the previous years. Möller played in NHL but also in the wjc.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
the number of people who don't understand how this tournament works astounds me. 3 teams from the Sweden/Russia/Switzerland/Slovakia/Latvia group HAVE to be in the top 6.

Unless you're just saying which teams you think are best which isn't really a prediction

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Just out of curiosity, if for some freakish reason, Canada was to be the upset of the tourny finishing (far?) out of medals, what do you think Hockey Canada's reaction would be?

Would they request to bring in NHL players next season?

BTW, I'm not saying Canada is bad by any means. They look like a gold contender to me, but anything can happen.

Hockey Canada would likely be upset, and there would be some discussion nationally, but even then I doubt they would bother asking the NHL to release all eligible players. The request would just be too ridiculous.

Always been suprised that some nhl players should weigh so much for canada, with hockey being their number 1 sport combined with their number of players they should have like 10 A teams

Well ten consecutive finals appearances, with all the available players only participating in one of those tournaments, is not too bad.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
For those complaining about players in the NHL, Connolly and Smith-Pelly have been released to play for Canada. With Connolly you get a returning player, with almost 30 NHL games to his credit, and a lot of talent. With DSP you get a physically mature beast, whom in all likelihood plays a bottom 6 role

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Every year I look forward to the TSN World Junior Preview show and every year I am disappointed. I know they try, and James Duffy and Bob McKenzie are great, but I would like to see more indepth comparison of countries than profile pieces.

Anyway, I watched it tonight while my gf made cookies. I then ate the cookies when she was not looking.

Now she is mad because she says she does not have enough for Christmas.
Now I feel sick (way too much sugar) and hate myself for ingesting all those empty calories.

:)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

So... if Canada gets 3 back as Bob McKenzie hinted might happen...

That has to improve our chances. Let's hope it happens.

LOVE THIS TOURNAMENT !!!

:naughty:

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Gold- Canada
Silver- USA
Bronze- Sweden
4th - Russia
5th- Finland
6th- Denmark
7th-Czech Republic
8th- Switzerland
9th- Poland
10th- Latvia

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Think of how good Canada COULDVE been. Nugent-Hopkins, Couturier, Connolly, Seguin, Hall, Smith-Pelley, Gudbranson... we would've been stacked this year, especially if Seguin came down to play... guess hopes ended for that when Boston won the cup with him though.

200th post! weeeo.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Think of how good Canada COULDVE been. Nugent-Hopkins, Couturier, Connolly, Seguin, Hall, Smith-Pelley, Gudbranson... we would've been stacked this year, especially if Seguin came down to play... guess hopes ended for that when Boston won the cup with him though.

200th post! weeeo.

Forgot Skinner :)

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010

200th post! weeeo.

Hall is not eligible, but yes just like every other year Canada would be stacked. However, Canada are still a very good club even without those players

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
With Connolly and DSP added to Team Canada, I think they have to be the favorite ahead of Russia at this point.

This will be the most talented roster Canada has sent in years.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With Connolly and DSP added to Team Canada, I think they have to be the favorite ahead of Russia at this point.

In terms of forwards? Sure.

Goaltending has to be the worst they have sent in years, while defensively it's decent but not great.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC

They have been the favorites all along. They are the number one favorites pretty much every single time this tournament is played but for some reason the Canadian media/fans don't like saying that.

Last year the US had a strong team on paper and Sweden the year before that but Canada can send a sick team every time, even with a few of the top players in the NHL because of the sheer amount of hockey players that they have. Sweden missing Landeskog/Larsson is a much much bigger blow to that team than Canada missing the likes of Skinner/Gudbranson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad