WJC: World Junior Championship Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latex*

Oh, and neither is Partanen. Also, Ruuttu's name is typed with two t's.

member 30781

Oh, and neither is Partanen. Also, Ruuttu's name is typed with two t's.

Teravainen was a mental lapse, but didn't Partanen participate in last year's WJC as a D man, or am I thinking of someone else?

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Teravainen was a mental lapse, but didn't Partanen participate in last year's WJC as a D man, or am I thinking of someone else?

Partanen didn't even make the team last year. And yeah, Salomäki is awesome, definately top 5 player for Finland.

Last edited:

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
You could be thinking of Sami Vatanen, the last name is remotely similar.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
How are you considering Team Finland an underdog? Their team is loaded with talent from top to bottom this year and I'm almost certain they're considered one of the favorites with Russia. This is the first year in a while where Canada isn't considered the favorite and it's all because they have a ton of players in the NHL.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
How are you considering Team Finland an underdog? Their team is loaded with talent from top to bottom this year and I'm almost certain they're considered one of the favorites with Russia. This is the first year in a while where Canada isn't considered the favorite and it's all because they have a ton of players in the NHL.

Well, it´s Finland, they´re the eternal underdogs. Even if they have a really great roster most people will likely underestimate them and have them behind Canada, Russia, Sweden and US.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Finland is an underdog because coach Helminen has never been headcoach anywhere before. Anything is possible from relegation round to silver medal.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
I guess Finland can be considered an underdog, but their team has been beaten pretty badly in Salt Lake (by the US and Sweden) and in Finland (they played a tight game and won against the russian B-squad but were crushed by Sweden). Granlund didn´t play in any of these games so maybe he can make a difference.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Canada isn't considered the favorite and it's all because they have a ton of players in the NHL.
please, stop using this argument.. it is problem of Hockey Canada that thay are not able to put all best together. I see no reason why not to make a deal with NHL.. NHL clubs hurts Canada national team in first place, they should think about it.. not only about money :P I hope NHL lock out will be next season :P

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
please, stop using this argument.. it is problem of Hockey Canada that thay are not able to put all best together. I have no reason why not to make a deal with NHL.. NHL clubs hurts Canada national team in first place, they should think about it.. not only money :P

It's not an argument. It's a fact...

Try to take the gold medal from this team:

Skinner-NugentHopkins-Seguin
Couturier-Johansen-Connolly
Huberdeau-Schwartz-Toffoli
SmithPelly-Scheifele-Howden
Strome

Gudbranson-Gormley
Hamilton-Pysyk
Murphy-Murray
Oleksiak

Any goalie.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
in my eyes, it is sentance of crying baby.. every year the same.. If I were boss of Hockey Canada, I would make a deal with NHL.. end of story.

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011

Try to take the gold medal from this team:

Skinner-NugentHopkins-Seguin
Couturier-Johansen-Connolly
Huberdeau-Schwartz-Toffoli
SmithPelly-Scheifele-Howden
Strome

Gudbranson-Gormley
Hamilton-Pysyk
Murphy-Murray
Oleksiak

Any goalie.

Canada isn't the only team that can do this. Often , Swedish and Russian players go to the NHL early as well.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Canada isn't the only team that can do this. Often , Swedish and Russian players go to the NHL early as well.

lol isn't there only like 22 Russian NHLers right now? I doubt 8 of them are U20 eligible.
I could really care less if Canada wins gold or not, I watch the tournament to see prospects. This season I'm picking Finland as my team to watch because of the strength of the team. I'm picking Canada as my team to fail because they don't have a good roster due to the simple fact that 8 guys are in the NHL. That's a serious kick in the nuts to a team. If it was only 1 or 2 like other countries, I think Canada would be able to compete.

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS

whos Sweden/ Russia missing?

Landeskog, Larsson and Burmistrov?

while those three would be difference makers for sure, it doesnt make up near the difference of Canada having a top 6 of all solid NHLers.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
guys, complain to Hockey Canada and NHL.. it is their problem. If you want NHL to release junior for WJC, dont watch NHL, make protests or so.. but dont cry.

Look if KHL (Elitserien, SM-Liiga) acted like NHL we would not see Kuznetsov, Arzamastsev, many finns and swedes... EVERY league allows their juniors to play at WJC, only NHL does not.

and yes, Kuznetsov is a key player of KHL leader, Traktor

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
guys, complain to Hockey Canada and NHL.. it is their problem. If you want NHL to release junior for WJC, dont watch NHL, make protests or so.. but dont cry.

I understand your English is weak but I clearly stated that I could care less if Canada wins gold or not. I don't think anyone is crying at all. I stated Canada won't compete for gold this year and why. That isn't crying, it's stating what I believe...

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Look if KHL (Elitserien, SM-Liiga) acted like NHL we would not see Kuznetsov, Arzamastsev, many finns and swedes... EVERY league allows their juniors to play at WJC, only NHL does not.

and yes, Kuznetsov is a key player of KHL leader, Traktor

Okay, you try to convince Edmonton & Carolina that they should send down their leading scorers for a tournament right in the middle of the season. See what they tell you lol

Also playing in the NHL and playing in the KHL, Elitserien, or SM-Liiga are 2 completely different things. That comparison is a waste of time.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
His numbers this season in the SEL don’t speak for his play on both sides of the puck. Likely picking up first line duties for Team Sweden, Zibanejad will be the player to watch out for most in this year’s tournament.

Johan Larsson will be the player to watch out for.

Also curious, why do you think Sweden won´t make it past the quarterfinals this year?

Edit: quarterfinal

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
There will be a time when a deal to allow NHL eligible junior players play in this tournament.
When the USA is negatively affected more than anyone else.

As for the opinion of the OP. I think it's a good assessment.
Though anything can happen is a short tournament I think gold is the Americans to lose.
Though if Canada plays Russia for bronze I'd say the Russians win. Canada has a history NOT to show up for bronze medal games.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Johan Larsson will be the player to watch out for.

Also curious, why do you think Sweden won´t make it past the quarterfinals this year?

Edit: quarterfinal

The loss of Adam Larsson & Gabriel Landeskog is huge for Sweden. I don't think they have enough to top Russia/Finland. I wouldn't count them out completely but I just think Finland/Russia will overpower them.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It is really annoying to hear the complaints every year about Canada not having their best team. It is going to be like that basically every year, so just get used to it. It is also very annoying when the overly ignorant posters get on and say that Canada's B team would win this tournament regularly. Obviously this is not the case. That being said, statements like this are also very annoying:

I would love to see a list of Swedish or Russian players that are being kept out of the world juniors that is nearly as impressive as Seguin, Skinner, Nugent-Hopkins, Johansen, Gudbranson, Connolly, Couturier. That list includes the three best eligible players for this tournament by far. Canada is missing essentially their entire top 6 and their #1 defenceman. Sweden is missing Landeskog and Larsson, definitely two great players, while Russia is missing no one that I am aware of.

A similar situation comes up every year. Last year it was Duchene, Seguin, Hall, Kane, Skinner and maybe someone else. It absolutely is whining when Canadian fans complain about the missing players every year, but it's ridiculous to say that other countries are regularly affected in a similar way. If all junior eligible players participated every year I honestly don't think Canada would lose more than once per ten tournaments, which would ruin this tournament.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
tbh i think Canada has so much depth that even without some top juniors you have to consider them as favorites. But i'm also seeing Finland and Russia right there with Canada. Sweden seems to be the underdog in this tournament in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad