News Article: World Junior Championship: Minnesota Wild Edition

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm not seeing above average speed in Khovanov, nor above average strength. He seems to have a good shot and offensive IQ(positioning, vision), but I am not seeing the quickness that some of the other Russian players have. In other words, he's a smart, talented, offensive player for that level, but I am not seeing any eye catching athleticism.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I'm not seeing above average speed in Khovanov, nor above average strength. He seems to have a good shot and offensive IQ(positioning, vision), but I am not seeing the quickness that some of the other Russian players have. In other words, he's a smart, talented, offensive player for that level, but I am not seeing any eye catching athleticism.
Gretzky didn't have some of those and look how he turned out. OMG WE GOT THE NEXT GREAT ONE BOYS!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
In the Canada game, Khovanov displayed a ton of speed.

He looked like one of the fastest players between both teams in that game.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
All I see is a guy that might play center. To the top of the dream future depth chart he goes. Right next to Kaprizov. Looks good to me.

Reactions: SMTHook

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Good write-up on Khovanov in the Athletic: 'He can just take over': Wild prospect Alexander Khovanov...

Here's a snippet if you aren't a subscriber:
Brett Turner, Moncton’s assistant director of hockey operations and a longtime QMJHL scout, believed that if anyone didn’t think Khovanov was a star yet he’d convince them by the time the tournament was over.
“At the Canada-Russia Series, he was unbelievable and I think he can do it on that stage. Khovanov likes those big-stage moments, and I think he’s a guy that can certainly take over and have a big tournament,” Turner said. “Honestly, I think the kid has it all when it comes to skill set. He’s got soft hands, he’s got vision, he can wire it, and he can skate, too. When it comes to the skills, I think Khovanov has just about everything you need in an NHL player.”
The article emphasizes how he is playing healthy for the first time in nearly 3 years and how high hopes for him have reappeared.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Khovanov from today:

Glove didn’t stay on very long after that goal

He has had some really nice passes in this tourney. Appears to have really solid vision and feel for the game as far as anticipating where guys will be. If he can make it work at the NHL level and ends up feeding Kaprizov, that could be a lot of fun.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He has had some really nice passes in this tourney. Appears to have really solid vision and feel for the game as far as anticipating where guys will be. If he can make it work at the NHL level and ends up feeding Kaprizov, that could be a lot of fun.
Yeah, he looks like he’s gonna be a half wall guy in the NHL, which is exciting to see

Reactions: AJ Thelen

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Yeah, he looks like he’s gonna be a half wall guy in the NHL, which is exciting to see

I have watched as many highlight videos of the kid as the next guy and always felt his skill was his scoring, but it was interesting to see in the Athletic article he talks specifically about his passing as what he finds to be a strength.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I have watched as many highlight videos of the kid as the next guy and always felt his skill was his scoring, but it was interesting to see in the Athletic article he talks specifically about his passing as what he finds to be a strength.
I think he may be in the koivu/granny mindset where he has a pretty solid shot and could score 30+ a year but prefers to pass it. time will tell.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Sandelin probably shouldn't get a call for quite a while.

Yep, guys that win three NCAA titles are just bad coaches...

such a dumb, tired take

No problem if USA Hockey gives some other deserving candidate a call but to blame the coach? Give me a break.

the USA didn't have the skill to beat Finland. It's a one-goal game. His best players were not playing well and never really clicked. So he's damned if they're out there, and he's f***ed if they're on the bench. It's a fast tournament and in the elimination round... shit happens. The USA will never have SISU.

Also, not sure Boldy would have helped but it is kind of nice when the team bombs without your prospect.

Go Finland

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
USA was an embarrassment today in their QF against Finland.

So much this. I couldn't believe the sore loser mentality they were displaying in the last 20 seconds. I get it. You wanted to win. Lose with dignity kids....you're gonna lose a few more times in life, I promise.

Reactions: Imppair

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yep, guys that win three NCAA titles are just bad coaches...

such a dumb, tired take

No problem if USA Hockey gives some other deserving candidate a call but to blame the coach? Give me a break.

the USA didn't have the skill to beat Finland. It's a one-goal game. His best players were not playing well and never really clicked. So he's damned if they're out there, and he's ****ed if they're on the bench. It's a fast tournament and in the elimination round... **** happens. The USA will never have SISU.

Also, not sure Boldy would have helped but it is kind of nice when the team bombs without your prospect.

Go Finland

It's a results based business. I'm sure he understands it. He succeeded at UMD and he'll be coaching there a long time because of it. He has failed at the WJC and he can take break now because of it.

It was his job to construct the roster and the roster disappointed. You can point to individual players, you can point to line combinations and you can point to ice times. It all mattered.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Everyone that wanted Caufield, just remember he had 1 goal and 1 assist in WJC...

Holy Crap, the draft that Los Angeles had last year:

Alex Turcotte, Tobias Bjornfot, Arthur Kaliyev, Samuel Fagemo, Lukas Parik, Kim Nousiainen, Anders Lee...

They got 5 legit prospects out of the draft including Nousiainen who is Finnish's best defensemen apparently. They nailed it.

So, they got the pick for Nousiainen by trading Nate Thompson (who LA Kings traded for with Dion Phaneuf for Nick Shore and Marian Gaborik) and a 5th round pick. They got the pick for Lukas Parik along with a 6th round pick for Carl Hagelin (who they traded Tanner Pearson for). Got the pick for Fagemo, for a 3rd and 5th round pick. and got Bjornfot for Jake Muzzin (Sean Durzi and Carl Grundstrom was also traded with the pick).

Last edited:

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
It's a results based business. I'm sure he understands it. He succeeded at UMD and he'll be coaching there a long time because of it. He has failed at the WJC and he can take break now because of it.

It was his job to construct the roster and the roster disappointed. You can point to individual players, you can point to line combinations and you can point to ice times. It all mattered.
It was a conglomerate of USA Hockey executives and coaching staff to put the roster together.

it was Sandelins' job to manage their ice time / line combos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad