News Article: World Junior Championship: Minnesota Wild Edition

Frederik95

Oct 19, 2019
Its the most wonderful time of the year and while the Wild doesnt have many representatives at the Juniors, there is plenty to see and talk about for Wild fans this holidays. Some of which i attempted to discuss in this article. Did i forgot to mention something or someone not going and what do you all look forward to watching in the world juniors?

World Junior Championship: Minnesota Wild Edition - Overtime Heroics

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Watching the Czech-Russa game: not a great start for the Russians. Khovanov just made an errant pass that led to a 2-on-1 and a goal for the Czechs. 2 past Askarov before the 8:00 mark.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
On the upside, Khovanov's powerplay unit got Russia's first goal. Generating lots of chances.

Edit: Looks like Khovanov picked up an assist on it, too.

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Wow, the Russians can't stay out of the box all of a sudden. Czechs just made it 4-3 on a 5-on-3, they go back to 5-on-4 and Russia immediately takes another penalty.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Rough game for most of Team USA.

Notable Team USA TOI totals:
Drury 20:17
Ford 12:28
Turcotte 10:51
Kaliyev 10:05
Zegras 9:23
York 2:24

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Liked Brink, also. Kaliyev...you can see his shot being effective at any level of hockey, and he looks to be a smart player. Lafreniere was at a different level than any other player. Liked Veleno, Cozens.

I don't understand why Zegras, Kaliyev, and Turcotte weren't getting more time. York only played 2:24?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That Zegras kid is pretty good. Always been a fan.

Nice pass!

He's in on all 4 of the goals so far today

Last edited:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Zegras with 4 assists today in the 6-3 win over Germany. He had 10:04 TOI

Kaliyev 8:11 TOI (1 assist)
Turcotte 11:59
Caufield 12:52
Parker Ford 16:07

They really need to get Caufield going and I feel like the easiest and simplest way to do that is to put him on Turcotte's wing. The TOI thing is still mind boggling to me as Zegras and Turcotte especially still seem to be completely underutilized.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

They really need to get Caufield going and I feel like the easiest and simplest way to do that is to put him on Turcotte's wing. The TOI thing is still mind boggling to me as Zegras and Turcotte especially still seem to be completely underutilized.

I've given up trying to figure out what's going on. They seem to be going heavy on two way play despite the fact that they have the firepower to contend with anyone. They've lost to Canada and beaten Germany. They play Russia on Sunday, and if they lose, I would take it as a pretty good sign that they're not long for this tournament. Maybe they beat Russia, beat Czech and finish second in the pool, I would doubt they're going to make much noise in the elimination rounds.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Oh and Shane Pinto is probably going to come out of this tournament being hyped through the roof, with people acting like he's the next Toews or something. So that'll be fun for a couple of years.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't pay a lot of attention to the stats when playing against the lesser teams. Some teams(and players), run up the score, others play down to their opponents. I am interested in how players perform against the big dogs, in big moments. I have to admit to being mystified by Ford's presence, and TOI.

Probably best to wait till the whole tournament is over before i make any grand statements. For all I know, Ford might have a hat trick in the Gold medal game.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

You know the moment Zegras steps on the ice too, because he's always finding a way to get the puck. He literally dominates possession when he's out there. The other team has it? He quickly takes it away. He gets bumped off the puck? He muscles it right back and makes a play.

He's like a 6'2" Johnny Hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad