GDT: World Junior Championship 2015

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
The Finnish powerplay managed to look even worse than ours. 0/21 in the tournament. Can't win with that.

I hope we somehow get Puljujärvi in 2016. Probably not though as he will be a top 3 pick.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24931661
The U.S. will come away from this World Juniors with the feeling of bitter disappointment. They had a lot of high expectations going in and they never totally looked like the team on the ice that they seemed to be on paper. One reason for that could have been Team USA's youth. This was an abnormally young team with five draft-eligible players on the roster. They'll have many returnees next season, which will definitely help, but even with their youth, the group they had was good enough to compete. Lack of execution and discipline seemed to outweigh the lack of experience. It's another woefully disappointing result for Team USA at the World Juniors, as they can finish no higher than fifth.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Point's goal @ 3:13

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/ca...s-leg-knee-injury-against-013829007--nhl.html
Canada's world junior team has lost forward Robby Fabbri for the remainder of the tournament due to a high ankle sprain.

The St. Louis Blues' prospect suffered the injury after throwing a routine body check at Denmark's Anders Krogsgaard on Friday early in the first period of Canada's 8-0 quarter-final win.
Groulx responded to Fabbri's injury by promoting Brayden Point to a line with team captain Curtis Lazar of the Ottawa Senators and Connor McDavid, the presumptive No. 1 pick in this year's NHL draft. Point, who was Canada's 13th forward entering the world junior championships, gave Canada a 7-0 lead in the third period for his second goal of the tournament.

"Brayden Point did a great job of stepping in," said Lazar. "He fit in nicely with me and Connor, we were happy to get him a goal. ... He's been a competitor and a player, for something to happen like that, it is the game of hockey and the way she goes sometimes but now there's extra more motivation to win it for him."

Point was modest about his performance, instead expressing concern about Fabbri's injury.

"I thought we did a good job, you never like to see a teammate go down," said Point, a draft pick of the Tampa Bay Lightning. "I thought we did a good job. We have a lot of skill guys."
Groulx is uncertain of how his lines will look Sunday when Canada faces Slovakia at in the semifinals, but liked what Point adds with McDavid. IIHF rules prevent Canada from replacing Fabbri on the roster, so 12 healthy forwards remain for Sunday's game.

"I just think Connor needs that a little bit with them, a guy that can play with him, that can make plays with him and maybe the line of Nic needs another shooter with them," said Groulx. "We like to balance our lines with speed, with size, with skill."

Point, who has 17 goals and 44 points in 29 games with the Moose Jaw Warriors of the Western Hockey League, was in unfamiliar territory as the 13th forward.

"It's a little different for sure, but I don't think it's tough. It's awesome when we're winning games," said Point. "The goal is the gold medal so it's definitely not tough to watch other guys compete. I thought I played pretty well going into a bigger role. You never like to see anyone go down."

When Point made the team as the team's extra forward, the coaching staff used the Martin St. Louis analogy. St. Louis was part of a group of forwards who played the role of the extra forward at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi.

"The coaching staff told me about Martin St. Louis (at the Olympics)," said Point. That's a guy that's making $6 million a year. It's part of the team."

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Canada leads Slovakia 3-1 at the 2nd intermission.

If Canada wins, they'll go on to face Russia for the gold.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Russia needs to weather this. Canada's energy level can't last forever, but they can do a lot of damage while it lasts. Pretty insane.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That penalty approaches Richard Panik levels of stupidity.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I like me some Russia, put those smug Canadians in there place. Refs just need to let them go but they know the Canadians are too soft and are protecting them.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
NecessarySlowFlyinglemur.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad