World Jr Thread: All WJC talk here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I heard rumors that if Nylander was off the board the leafs would have drafted Ehlers or Larkin. If these rumors are true or can be validated by anyone else here (not just my imagination), then I am pleasantly surprised and happy about the leafs scouting staff lol. Larkin seems to be doing amazing at this tournament so detroit obviously got another good one lol and Ehlers has been the best Dane next to Bjorkstrand.

However the Nylander pick looks better and better every game. The kid plays an amazing game and despite rumors etc of his "floating" or lack of two-way game...he seems to always be in good defensive position and has an extremely active stick.

Take a look at the Russian goal. Nylander was completely guilty of floating on that play. Hey, he's a terrific prospect, but there are parts of his game that need work.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Russia looked really good in the 2nd. But that was probably expected since Sweden looked much better in the first. So now they have had one period each and one goal each. Lets hope for a thrilling 3rd period with Nylander getting the winner.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
It's been said before but let me reiterate - Nylander might seem to be floating but he's actually a very smart player. His talent and his hockey IQ are so high that he's always in the right position without much effort. What seems like floating is just his smarts getting him in the right spot without needing to work so hard. Hence why he steals a lot of pucks and always seems to come out of board battles with the puck, despite being lighter than most players.

It's like he sees the game 2 steps ahead of other players, and has the talent to take advantage of it.

Sounds like Alexander Mogilny when he played for the Leafs...

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Take a look at the Russian goal. Nylander was completely guilty of floating on that play. Hey, he's a terrific prospect, but there are parts of his game that need work.

Yeah I saw that but other than that he's been pretty solid im pretty impressed by his stick work which is something that usually develops with maturity in a player

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I honestly don't care much about the point totals right now, you can tell that Nylander has more raw talent than just about every player in this tournament (save Eichel and McDavid).

Peace Frog

Jun 18, 2009
Yeah I saw that but other than that he's been pretty solid im pretty impressed by his stick work which is something that usually develops with maturity in a player

TBH, I haven't seen much of Nylander, so I'm not trying to say that I know everything about his game. From the little I've seen though, a lot of his "floating" is just him being in the right place and not needing to be skating his butt off.

But there are other times when he's just plain guilty of floating. There's no doubt that he has the tools to be a very special player for the Leafs. With continued progression in his development, he will be all that he's projected to be.:yo:

Peace Frog

Jun 18, 2009
Yeah, I'm not sure why they don't lean on Nylander more. They should be double shifting him, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad