OT: World Cup

I watched more the World cup this year than in years past. I thought the games were good up until the the semi-finals and final.

I went through a phase around 2007 or so (probably coincides with a horrible era in Kings hockey) where I was watching some Premier League games for a few years. It is an interesting game to watch at times but it is so easy to lose interest because there can be long stretches where nothing happens. Then guys start laying on the ground holding their leg and I get mad. I did have the revelation this year that soccer is the only sport where play is pretty much continuous for 90 minutes with few substitutions. That's impressive and it obviously takes a considerable amount of endurance to play.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I watched more the World cup this year than in years past. I thought the games were good up until the the semi-finals and final.

I went through a phase around 2007 or so (probably coincides with a horrible era in Kings hockey) where I was watching some Premier League games for a few years. It is an interesting game to watch at times but it is so easy to lose interest because there can be long stretches where nothing happens. Then guys start laying on the ground holding their leg and I get mad. I did have the revelation this year that soccer is the only sport where play is pretty much continuous for 90 minutes with few substitutions. That's impressive and it obviously takes a considerable amount of endurance to play.

The biggest problem I have with soccer was highlighted in the Netherlands/Argentina game. It's not the low scoring that's an issue. I've enjoyed plenty of low scoring hockey, football, and baseball games.

It's when you see a stat like after 70 minutes of gameplay, one team literally has only 3 shots on goal. It'd be like if each football team went 3 and out for the entire first 3 quarters of the game.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The biggest problem I have with soccer was highlighted in the Netherlands/Argentina game. It's not the low scoring that's an issue. I've enjoyed plenty of low scoring hockey, football, and baseball games.

It's when you see a stat like after 70 minutes of gameplay, one team literally has only 3 shots on goal. It'd be like if each football team went 3 and out for the entire first 3 quarters of the game.
That was an horrible game to watch, no denying, I was annoyed too. Probably the worst game of the tourney.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That was an horrible game to watch, no denying, I was annoyed too. Probably the worst game of the tourney.

Agreed, total bummer.

You usually see that later in the tourney when teams are totally gassed though. I think even the most casual audience really enjoyed the early rounds of the event. I've played soccer alongside hockey my whole life and while I can appreciate the ball possession as well as the fatigue in later rounds I can admit it has to be hard to watch otherwise as it's low-event soccer. Maybe the parallel for me is that I love watching MMA/Boxing undercards because it's usually two not-so-elite fighters going balls out with no defense where the main events are usually very strategic :P

I truly think the no commercials thing makes it tough for american audiences. When football teams are going three-and-out repeatedly, the monotony is broken with a tv break on change of possession.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad