Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Morocco

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah Griez has been better than Mbappe.
Mbappe has been subpar, like he has this year, but he still scores goals because he's that good.
To be fair, he's played injured all this tournament.

Congrats to Morocco. Wonderful tournament and they clearly showed they belong.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Terrible finishing and touches as always been what has plagued African teams from taking the next step. Morocco made it this far thanks to incredible organized defense.

Football is incredibly taxing over a tournament. I found myself incredibly gassed after playing 3 games in 8 days and would eventually lose my mental focus and ability to process the play well. It's really incredible how your brain can sometimes go before your legs.

Morocco had a ton of injuries and barely anything in the way of bench options. They were incredibly gassed and nothing about their build up was crisp...too many mental errors chalked up to fatigue.

You need a good XI and many bench options and sadly, many of the CAF/AFC and CONCACAF teams don't have the depth that Argentina/Brazil along with the UEFA teams have. A team can have a Cinderella-type run to a QF or SF but will often succumb to fatigue.

Reactions: Panteras

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
I don’t understand how you can watch the same games and say Greizmann is “clearly” the MVP of that team over Mbappe lol
If you think Mbappe was more valuable to this team than Griezmann than you probably should rewatch the games. Especially the last two games showed it

Reactions: Peen

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Morocco played very well tonight, didn't expect them to push France back like that. France did have some good chances but overall left me wanting more as they usually do. Think if they would play like Morocco tonight they would just run over teams but okay, DD likes his football cynical, and he wins with it.
At the very least Morocco deserved a goal but it just wouldn't go in.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Your boy Messi had not either before this year.
But he has now.

Also, I haven't talked about the fact Luis Enrique commented after his team's loss that he was impressed with the #8 (Ounahi). He asked "where does this guy come from".
See, the arrogance and the lack of professionalism should never happen at that level.
There's not a single opponent Deschamps and his crew don't know about. And we're not even talking about some low level pros in a low level league. Ounahi is playing in a top 5 league.
THAT is exactly the arrogance DD doesn't have. He never underrates anyone.
In 24 years, France has reached 4 WC finals and 2 Euro finals. DD was captain or coach of 5 of these 6 events.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Tough for Morocco as a person who grew up in a muslim household seeing a team like that represent our causes at the top level of sports would have been big :(

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
If you think Mbappe was more valuable to this team than Griezmann than you probably should rewatch the games. Especially the last two games showed it
Greizmann was good against England, Mbappe owned Poland. This game against Morocco Mbappe is the reason why both goals happened… again, I still don’t see how Greizmann is “clearly” the MVP of this French team in this tournament which is what you’re stating. Clearly? Nope.

Reactions: luiginb

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Great fight by Morocco, they had some periods of real pressure and couple good chances as well. Not only the parked bus that people predicted. Ofc can't park the bus when you get scored on early, but a solid showing by Morocco imo.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Greizmann was good against England, Mbappe owned Poland. This game against Morocco Mbappe is the reason why both goals happened… again, I still don’t see how Greizmann is “clearly” the MVP of this French team in this tournament which is what you’re stating. Clearly? Nope.
Mbappe made some games really look easier than they should have been, agreed. Poland is a prime example (2G, 1A).
But Griez has been consistantly good in every single game and made huge work defensively and offensively.
It's tough to compare because they're playing different positions and different things are expected of them.
But Griez has surpassed every single expectation.

BTW, Griez beat the NT assist record (28 assists) last game, and he jokingly (but half seriously) said his record won't last long because Mbappe is only 10 behind.
Mbappe is also closing in in the scorer's department.
If healthy, I expect him to get both records in a few years.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Mbappe made some games really look easier than they should have been, agreed. Poland is a prime example (2G, 1A).
But Griez has been consistantly good in every single game and made huge work defensively and offensively.
It's tough to compare because they're playing different positions and different things are expected of them.
But Griez has surpassed every single expectation.

BTW, Griez beat the NT assist record (28 assists) last game, and he jokingly (but half seriously) said his record won't last long because Mbappe is only 10 behind.
Mbappe is also closing in in the scorer's department.
If healthy, I expect him to get both records in a few years.
I was going to ask you, if Mbappe wins this WC, equals those records, and goes on to maybe win a CL. Where would he stand compared to a guy like Maradona?

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
All my respect to Morocco and their magnificent journey through the tournament

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Konate is France’s second best player, and I think he’s closer to best than third best. Can put that in the hot take thread. I don’t care. It’s true.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I was going to ask you, if Mbappe wins this WC, equals those records, and goes on to maybe win a CL. Where would he stand compared to a guy like Maradona?
Tough to compare this early. We'll have to see when all is said and done, but Mbappe is heading towards one of the best careers of all time.

Reactions: Panteras

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But he has now.

Also, I haven't talked about the fact Luis Enrique commented after his team's loss that he was impressed with the #8 (Ounahi). He asked "where does this guy come from".
See, the arrogance and the lack of professionalism should never happen at that level.
There's not a single opponent Deschamps and his crew don't know about. And we're not even talking about some low level pros in a low level league. Ounahi is playing in a top 5 league.
THAT is exactly the arrogance DD doesn't have. He never underrates anyone.
In 24 years, France has reached 4 WC finals and 2 Euro finals. DD was captain or coach of 5 of these 6 events.

That is something I do give him props for, as well as his man management, and it's something Jogi succumbed too badly. By the end his staff were doing the absolute bare minimum.

Still wish he weren't so naturally conservative tactically...because with your talent you could play more open, attacking football than you have...but as a german fan I can't criticize anyone for winning pragmatically :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Tough to compare this early. We'll have to see when all is said and done, but Mbappe is heading towards one of the best careers of all time.

At this point if he doesn't end up a better version of CR7, I'll be a little disappointed :laugh:

It is wild that with Messi eventually fading away, we'll have Mbappe & Haaland to pick up the slack.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Messi has to go through the defending champions. Feels like the way it should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad