• Netherlands

Votes: 41 83.7%
  • USA

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It would basically be a back 3 with Dest as a wing back on his side and Weah drifting in as a second striker, coming into the space created by Reyna's movement.
Yeah, I understand that, but despite us having the wingbacks for it, we've never played a 3 back system (and I wouldn't want to start Robinson in such a system).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, I understand that, but despite us having the wingbacks for it, we've never played a 3 back system (and I wouldn't want to start Robinson in such a system).

That's fair. Just feels like a good fit for dealing with the dutch...who can possess the ball and hit you on the counter, but aren't the most dangerous when a defense is in shape...given your personal.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That's fair. Just feels like a good fit for dealing with the dutch...who can possess the ball and hit you on the counter, but aren't the most dangerous when a defense is in shape...given your personal.
I actually think that America has been very strong against the counter. Adams in particular has been great in shutting them down. We've struggled when numbers are thrown forward and we can't relieve pressure

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I haven’t even watched the US yet, but I have seen plenty of Holland and I will say that I can’t imagine the US not having a chance here. The Dutch are getting results and managed the group stage well, but it was an easy group and they didn’t look great. Midfield is Frenkie and whoever they decide to rotate in and they’re limp in attack apart from Gapko with Depay just coming back from injury. So much static play in possession today. However, the Dutch have a good back line that has been performing well since De Ligt was dropped. Also though, if Van Gaal has the guts and the brain to shake things up they could be notably better. Frimpong and Malacia should be given a shot and one of big Luuk or more likely Xavi Simons should replace Klaasen. The former would mean a formation change and I’d got the latter route, but Van Gaal has/had in form players at his disposal and they’re not playing. Just look at his subs today.

Reactions: DaveG

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
LVG made a comment about his fullbacks implying that you can only have one attacking fullback. That it’s like a steering wheel. So as far as we go that helps us. He’s just so risk averse that it helps.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Puli is hurt but not so hurt that he's fully out, could be a blessing. He's way better as an impact sub than as a starter, and he's had some good luck in the past against VVD. Could also experience some joy isolating Ake one-on-one (given that Ake sucks).
He's fine. Got hit in the balls by the Iranian keeper. They say he'll play.

And it's a completely different situation than the one at Chelsea, so the impact sub thing isn't the way to go for us. We can't sacrifice most of the game to maybe get something later in the game. Could be 3-0 by that point.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I suspect the Dutch pull out a 1-0, but this could be like 3-1 Dutch or 1-0 USA.

I think the USA have a pretty good shot in this one. Dutch are not that good. USA are playing very well. This is the best they've played under Berhalter. They completely took it to Wales and Iran, score adjusted, while against England they played them very even, and likely shaded it.

I won't totally rule out Dutch simply overpower the USA with a convincing performance and USA put up their first bad performance, but this probably will be a very close game. Neither team scores much or gives up many. Likely a 1-0 game, and it'll be a question of which team can get a goal.

Reactions: Tryamw

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I actually think that America has been very strong against the counter. Adams in particular has been great in shutting them down. We've struggled when numbers are thrown forward and we can't relieve pressure

Again fair enough. But the dutch counters are likely to be more dangerous than Iran's or Wales' and they're so inept when defenses are back that I would prioritize handling Gakpo & Depay's speed.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I’ve never seen Oranje in worse form than in this tournament. LVG is making horrible decisions. Five defenders is bad as it is, but he adds 3 defensively orientated midfielders on top of that vs Qatar.

The consensus in Holland is just to get it over with. No faith whatsoever.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
For a team that has trouble scoring, I simply would not be starting a player to make him World Cup debut against Virgil van Dijk. Doesn’t seem like a great idea to have someone with zero club minutes since October and zero goals since September against those Dutch defenders. But maybe that’s just me. I also don’t like brining Zimmerman back in. He has not been good.

For USA to win
- Play a full 90 minutes, doubt USA has a chance if they do another 30-60 minute effort.
- Keep putting bodies on Frenkie De Jong like it’s a hockey game; can’t let him dictate the pace of the game.
- They probably aren’t going to get a ton of chances, so they are going to need to be clinical.
- adding to the above USA need to show they can be strong in both of the boxes

Pregame thoughts
- This really would have been a good game for Reyna. Reyna is one of the only USA players that can keep Netherlands honest with his skill. He hopefully comes off the bench but ugh.
- the Captain America nickname for Pulisic needs to be retired. Adams clearly is Captain America. Pulisic is NRA-mar.
- This really feels like a 1-0 Netherlands win to me but we will see. USA does have a path to win, but they are going to need to do some things they haven’t show they can do yet.

Last edited:

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
USA’s massive area of strength their midfield is where the Dutch are their weakest. They need to take advantage of that.

Problem is that they have done so in every game they have played. But at the end of the day, if they don’t have the finishers to put the ball in the back of the net, it doesn’t really mean much.

Reactions: Tryamw

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I expect a 1-0 result. The US can manage one goal if their defense and GK are solid.

The Dutch aren't as strong as they usually have been. The US has a real chance to advance today.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
doesnt the dutch got someone better then klass for midfield spot?
Probably, but he has been pretty good and the manager trusts him. Xavi Simons is their young star and he could definitely play there

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If it's true the Dutch team has a flu outbreak, I consider the U.S. chances pretty good. Would be a bit of an asterisk, but that's of course irrelevant in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad