Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Just awful PKs.

They're playing for PKs in extra time but are terrible at it. Why? They actually had the ability to break Croatia down.

They weren't even placed well.

They're side-footing it halfway between the post and the keeper. Easy saves. Plus they telegraphed where they're shooting.

Just put your head down and strike it.
Like the USA and crosses. We play for them but Jedi isn't good at them Dest is better but...

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I was hoping Japan would go on and we'd get a South Korean upset. Would be fantastic quarterfinals, especially if Portugal and Spain advance. A lot of fun storylines.

Reactions: Tryamw

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Thank god, had no faith in Livakovic but the pens were poor. Think we will be blitzed by Brazil anyhow

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Brutal pens from Japan.... Such a fun team to watch, really wanted to see them progress.
A shame because Japan can create decent chances off the counter. They should have just been braver in attacking because Croatia looked completely gaased but seem resigned to taking it to penalties which is exactly what Croatia wanted.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
They have called this WC of the rattlers. Will end up with 6 European teams and 2 South American teams in the quarterfinals.

Yet people will always be surprised by the lack of parity. The suggestion that other nations are catching up is a mere fallacy. We have been beating this drum for over 3 decades.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Food for Brazil
Maybe.

I don't think you watch us play though.
We try and slow the game down and play a controlling sort of football. We have no speed and limited acceleration, but if the midfield is on, we'll control it, have 1-3 chances per game and the opposition will do the same. It's boring, but since we have to crawl the ball up the pitch, it's the only way.

We are offensively challenged, with fullbacks (if Sosa doesn't play) who have decent-but-not-great crosses, can't beat people 1v1 and our strikers are absolute rubbish. I think Dalic will go back to playing Kramaric as #9 vs Brazil, an out of position Kramaric at least has a chance to do something, the Petkovic/Livaja/Budimir are just so subpar it's like playing a man down.

Anyway, f++k it. We got 4m people and are in the quarters again.
Bring on Brazil. We may get spanked, but the boys won't roll over for anyone.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yet people will always be surprised by the lack of parity. The suggestion that other nations are catching up is a mere fallacy. We have been beating this drum for over 3 decades.
To be fair, KSA beat Argentina, Japan beat Spain and Germany, Tunisia beat France, Denmark didn't make it out of the group stages, Italy didn't make it to the World Cup, Croatia made it to the semi-finals last year, etc.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021

CONCACAF, AFC and CAF will never catch up unless they starts to develop some tactical display. They have a lot of players playing for european clubs but as a unit they are not able to adapt to the occasion.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Maybe.

I don't think you watch us play though.
We try and slow the game down and play a controlling sort of football. We have no speed and limited acceleration, but if the midfield is on, we'll control it, have 1-3 chances per game and the opposition will do the same. It's boring, but since we have to crawl the ball up the pitch, it's the only way.

We are offensively challenged, with fullbacks (if Sosa doesn't play) who have decent-but-great crosses, can't beat people 1v1 and our strikers are absolute rubbish. I think Dalic will go back to playing Kramaric as #9 vs Brazil, an out of position Kramaric at least has a chance to do something, the Petkovic/Livaja/Budimir are just so subpar it's like playing a man down.

Anyway, f++k it. We got 4m people and are in the quarters again.
Bring on Brazil. We may get spanked, but the boys won't roll over for anyone.
Croatia got through experience today. Midfield was poor today. To many misplaced passes. Perisic played well and Gvardiol what can you say a superb player. Like you said Croatia lack speed and a top class striker. No Mandzukic is a big difference. No Rebic either who gave them speed last World Cup.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
To be fair, KSA beat Argentina, Japan beat Spain and Germany, Tunisia beat France, Denmark didn't make it out of the group stages, Italy didn't make it to the World Cup, Croatia made it to the semi-finals last year, etc.

Upsets usually happen in the group stage when the giants or favorites dick around or prematurely lose focus after going up a goal. However it's the same cast of nations winning in the QF's once those teams regain their focus. I have no faith in ever seeing an AFC, CAF or CONCACAF nation reaching the finals in my lifetime. I been waiting 26 years.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For as long as I've been following football, since the 70's. It was probably occurring before that.

IMO this was the weakest Concacaf showing in quite awhile. Seems to be a low ebb for several of the Concacaf sides and only Canada experiencing improvement in qualifying.

Mexico have consistently had the best Concacaf sides and they are a diminished quantity now. Not advancing from group stage which they usually accomplish.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Spain was so scared of having to run into us again if they made the final, that they would've thrown that last game even if Japan had turned up at the wrong stadium :sarcasm:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anything can happen in group stage. Theres a difference between upsets in group vs in knockouts when sides are more settled into the tournament. Europe and South America continue to represent the quarterfinal sides. Nothing has changed in that regard. Unless Brazil falls apart it won't today either.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Anything can happen in group stage. Theres a difference between upsets in group vs in knockouts when sides are more settled into the tournament. Europe and South America continue to represent the quarterfinal sides. Nothing has changed in that regard. Unless Brazil falls apart it won't today either.

*fingers-crossed*

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You'd suggested multiple times that Croatia were going down today.

Brazil haven't been eating much since 2002. Nor have they been impressive in this tournament.
I did. They barely survived, (in my opinion were out Played),and won on PKs. Brazil May or may not have been impressive, but they have certainly shown more than Croatia. I guess we will find out next week

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I did. They barely survived, (in my opinion were out Played),and won on PKs. Brazil May or may not have been impressive, but they have certainly shown more than Croatia. I guess we will find out next week
Croatia had the better attempts on net and most of the initiative and play in this one.

Croatia were not outplayed. You seem pretty down on Croatia. They had the best moments in the match and the stunning Perisic crusher and the excellent Modric thumper on goal. The game was decided there without an excellent stop. Japan got their usual squib kick goal creating chaos in the box. In the shootout the Japanese inability to finish convincingly from anywhere but 5yds around net let them down. not too surprisingly. Those were pathetic penalty kicks.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Croatia had the better attempts on net and most of the initiative and play in this one.

Croatia were not outplayed. You seem pretty down on Croatia. They had the best moments in the match and the stunning Perisic crusher and the excellent Modric thumper on goal. The game was decided there without an excellent stop. Japan got their usual squib kick goal creating chaos in the box. In the shootout the Japanese inability to finish convincingly from anywhere but 5yds around net let them down.
Eh agree to disagree, i don’t think you are too far off those. Either way, to me I think it’s very clear Croatia,s experience is what won them this game, and it was by the skin of their teeth. dont think they get past Brazil

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Happy we have moved on and I am going to take the day to enjoy the win. It will certainly be a tall task to take out Brazil.

For a small country, Croatia’s World Cup pedigree speaks for itself. Ajmo Vatreni!
Try to slow the game down and beat them to hell and back. Brazil doesn't know the meaning of class, so don't show any to them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You'd suggested multiple times that Croatia were going down today.

Brazil haven't been eating much since 2002. Nor have they been impressive in this tournament.

Agree to disagree on this. I missed their last game against Cameroon, but even before today, they've been one of the most impressive teams at this tourney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad