Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
1669929085753.png
vs.
1669929347166.png
Teams: Japan v. Croatia
Time and Date (CST): Monday, December 5, 9:00 AM
Venue: Al Janoub Stadium
Storyline: Going into the World Cup, this matchup would not have been entirely shocking, although Japan was certainly an underdog to advance from a group featuring European powers Spain and Germany. However, even those thinking Japan would face Croatia likely would have guessed that this matchup would be on the other side of the bracket. The Japanese team had a wild group stage, beating both of Spain and Germany in come-from-behind 2-1 wins while losing to Costa Rica, the clear 4th place team in the group. Japan's infectious positive attitude showed in their soccer, but it would be a mistake to ignore their talent. Bolstered with talent throughout their lineup, they play well together and will be a tough out for the 2018 World Cup runners up, who will likely be considered the favorites here.

Croatia, meanwhile, had an up and down group stage, featuring two 0-0 draws. Croatia's first match against eventual group winners Morocco was fairly evenly matched, with Croatia slightly edging the xG battle but neither side really looking dominant. Croatia then went down to Canada early, before potting four goals and winning handily. They then matched up against Belgium and held on to their clean sheet on the back of some bad Lukaku misses. Even with those inconsistent performances, Croatia is the likely favorite in part due to star midfielder Luka Modric and burgeoning star defender Josko Gvardiol, who are 17 years apart in age but equally important to the team.

The nations have faced each other 3 times before, with a 1-1-1 record, including two matchups in the World Cup, in 1998, when Croatia won 1-0, and 2006, when the team drew 0-0.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
PLS no Spain. I'd rather play Brazil, France, England, anyone...
So, need Japan or Costa Rica pls.

We need the ball to play football. Those f****rs never let you have it...

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
this is not the same Croatia...they'll get destroyed this time around
Croatia's better than the EUROs. Sosa, Gvardiol, Juranovic, Erlic, Sutalo - all in the team, Majer, Sucic as spare parts in the midfield, and while there's no improvement in the attack, there's not been any downgrades either.

Anyway, obviously relieved to not play Spain. We're favorites vs Japan and we need to play like it.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Mateo Kovacic has been an absolute beauty in this tournament so far and I don't see that changing. Being frank, I don't know this Japanese team well - don't watch a lot of Bundesliga - and they're clearly greater than the sum of their parts, but I think Croatia's quality sees them through here.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Nobody wants to play against Croatians. They are tough as nails and know how to play football.
I voted Japan, though, because I hope they aren't aware Croatia is dangerous. I want non-European or American teams in the quarter-finals.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The only way Japan gets though is if Croatia's midfield can't keep up with their running.
That’s what we’ve seen a lot of this World Cup though. The old teams that can’t run are struggling against their inverse

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Japan's fans have been amazing over here. Got to support them.

Oh plus they have Mitoma!

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
lets go croatia.. always loved there colours plus they got a spurs player so yea lol.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
3 or 4 wild crosses in a row on the same play lol ffs just start the quarter-finals already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad