OT: World Cup of Soccer and General Soccer Talk

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I picked Portugal to go all the way this year. Now I look like a fool. Uruguay has a solid defence though. With Cavani and Suarez up top, they are a dangerous team.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Crazy kick save...and a bute!

russia-spain-pks-akinfeev-world-cup.jpg

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The knock round has been more thrilling so far. Russia with an unexpected performance in the game vs Spain as another World Cup contender is out.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
That lower half of the bracket seems wide open now. I got maybe England as a favorite to make it to the final. But it doesn't look impossible for Sweden to repeat the magic summer in US '94.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
COLOMBIA TIES IT UP IN EXTRA TIME.

As a neutral fan (USA), I want this game to go as long as possible.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
England / Colombia was pure garbage. If only they could both have been eliminated. Yuck. Putrid offense, so much diving, so much whining, all the dark side of soccer without any of the beauty, skill and creativity.

France / Argentina and Japan / Belgium were great though. 4 teams that never gave up and left everything on the field to get a win. Beautiful goals, too. Can't wait for Friday. I'm thinking France & Belgium will advance, and whoever wins that game will be champion.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
If only they could both have been eliminated. Yuck. Putrid offense, so much diving, so much whining, all the dark side of soccer without any of the beauty, skill and creativity.
This. Exactly why I'm not following any soccer anymore besides the big international tournaments.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Pretty good final after a fairly un-memorable World Cup. Thought Croatia dominated the first hour or so and deserved better than what they got today.

Pre-tournament prediction was Germany / France, so half right. Thought France and Belgium were the best teams. Now back to club soccer ... wonder what big, Cup-inflated transfers are in store for us next week ... anyone want to bid 250m Euros for Kylian M'bappe?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
For the love of Pele, how can the MLS allow playoff games to end in a tie?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm guessing because they play home and away. I'd imagine if after the 2nd leg, the combined score was tied they would do extra time and then penalties.

Don't know the rules. Sporting KC up 1-0 in 2nd half. Hopefully they hold on.

Edit: 1-1 :speechles

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I'm guessing because they play home and away. I'd imagine if after the 2nd leg, the combined score was tied they would do extra time and then penalties.

I have a feeling the away goals rule would really blow some minds..."but we tied! How come *they* win?!"

Edit: haha, they do use it in MLS, except for extra time (some competitions do there too)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad