OT: World Cup of Soccer and General Soccer Talk

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Does anyone actually have BeIn Sports?

Apparently I do. I just have the sports package that gets you NHLN/MLBN and such. The channel is way up in the 300's on COX IIRC but it's not in an obscure package tier far as I can tell.

I also don't watch soccer so it's not all that useful :laugh:.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
A 1-1 draw.

My thoughts on the game from the soccer sub-forum
Bradley played very well against Honduras, but he was awful tonight. At this point, the USMNT is better when Jermaine Jones is out of the lineup. I'm content with a point from this one given how poor the U.S. were.

Still though, the refereeing was horrid. Somebody said that Honduras racked up 5 fouls in 10 minutes, something that would draw a yellow in any credible league in the world. The constant pushing and shoving was annoying. The U.S. struggles in the air, and that was a major factor in Panama's control. Altidore's a striker who thrives when he has service and is bad when he doesn't, so I hope Arena plays Pulisic in the 10 role regardless of circumstances. I think this night just showed how vital Geoff Cameron is. The back line is what it was but getting Yedlin back as somebody who can move the ball from the right back position will also help.

Also, it is rumored that Phoenix Rising have successfully signed Didier Drogba. He'll play for them this year but eventually transition to an ownership role in their bid to get into the MLS!!!

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Ended up watching it on telemundo. Back line looked awful, but was decimated by injury. Bradley plays well when he's in a role that suits him. Don't think he thrives as a DM in a 4-2-3-1

Also don't like Jozy playing alone in that formation. Would have liked to see Clint move up into a 4-4-2.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Drogba? Here?

Any other I'm On Setanta Sports/Special 1 TV fans from 8-10 years ago?

<thick Cote d'Ivoire French accent>
"No! Gaffer! please, come back!"

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/06/us-canada-mexico-joint-world-cup-bid-2026

A joint bid from the US, Canada and Mexico to host the enlarged 2026 World Cup is expected to be finalised this year for submission to Fifa, according to Victor Montagliani, the president of the region’s Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf). Speaking to the Guardian before Saturday’s annual Concacaf congress on the Caribbean island of Aruba, Montagliani contrasted the prospect of the countries’ cooperating on a World Cup with the division represented by the wall along the border with Mexico planned by Donald Trump.

Has there ever been a professional football player-chairman? | The Knowledge
Read more
“Canada, the US and Mexico are aiming for a joint bid, the idea has been around for a while, discussions are continuing and it is a very exciting proposition if it comes to fruition,” Montagliani said. “We have had nothing but positive remarks about it and it is a very strong sign of what football can do to bring countries together.”

A 3 country joint bid?

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Doesn't make sense to me. Could be beneficial in the long run to countries, in regards to bids and basically going bankrupt for the world cup or the Olympics just to build stadiums. But the US doesn't need Mexico or Canada to make a bid.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Doesn't make sense to me. Could be beneficial in the long run to countries, in regards to bids and basically going bankrupt for the world cup or the Olympics just to build stadiums. But the US doesn't need Mexico or Canada to make a bid.

True but US Soccer also needs to navigate the wanton corruption and geopolitical b.s. of FIFA. We had the most logical bid for 2018 & 2022 and still failed on both fronts.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Curious. Does people in the USA watch the world cup?

Not being qualified is a perfectly normal situation for some of us. My country, Norway, has not being qualified for a while, but the World Cup is still the number 1 subject the weeks it's on.

I guess you don't reach the Euro level, as soccer apparantly is not a big sport with you, but still: you hear talk about it? The Mexicans are hyped, I guess, at least?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Curious. Does people in the USA watch the world cup?

There are over 300 million of us, wait a minute and I'll ask. Seriously, many do, but probably down this year without team USA. I'm NOT a soccer fan, but I'll watch some games because I like high drama sporting events. Seeing Iceland "beat" Argentina was fun. Looking forward to Germany v Mexico.

The 2015 World Cup final match was the most-watched soccer event in US television history (men's or women's) with approximately 26.7 million viewers. (World Cup Fast Facts - CNN)

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad