OT: World Cup of Soccer and General Soccer Talk

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
USA will have little trouble qualifying for Qatar. This was an odd cycle that became an unfortunate tragedy of errors. US Soccer in general lacks a killer and competitive instinct. Mexico laid down to Honduras in their final match of the cycle with the sole intent of assisting us in not qualifying. We should have done the same to them in the '14 cycle.

Klinsmann flirted with failure in the last cycle so it was no shock he derailed the team. Gulati failed by replacing him with Arena. US Soccer is a joke.

The new kids are good. A new coach (assuming Sarachan will remain interim only) will have the capability to build a competitive team. Pulisic has the skill set to be our first world class player.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Whaaaaaat? Arguably the number 1 sporting event on the planet. If you mean you dont like football (ie soccer) I get that. It is not the best sport to watch if you dont like/understand the nuances of the sport.

I was being sarcastic and just playing on the "X sucks" theme of this board lately.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Interesting goal Spain had in the 90th minute to tie Morocco yesterday.

Sideline judge called off sides but upon review in Toronto it was determined to be no offsides or goalie interference and the call was reversed.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping

Sideline judge called off sides but upon review in Toronto it was determined to be no offsides or goalie interference and the call was reversed.
Well, to me it was pretty clear he was inside the goal crease. o_O

Tonight is the most important match so far, i'm referring to swe vs mex of course. With the influx of swedish hockey pros in Arizona I hope you guys will cheer for the swedes.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Well, to me it was pretty clear he was inside the goal crease. o_O

Tonight is the most important match so far, i'm referring to swe vs mex of course. With the influx of swedish hockey pros in Arizona I hope you guys will cheer for the swedes.

I wouldn't necessarily count on American soccer fans specifically cheering for Sweden, but you can always count on us to root against Mexico.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Offsides should be stricken from the rule book. We might then get some scoring.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Normally I'd cheer for Sweden with gusto... but I lived in Mexico for a few years as a youngster, so my loyalties lie with El Tricolor in this game!

EDIT: And it seems as though my fandom is being rewarded in the same way the Coyotes reward it. Sigh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sthlmyote

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
All Germany had to do was score one goal on their 24+ shots before stoppage and the result swings and El Tri gets sent packing. This has been my worst World Cup. Nothing is going the way I desire. Except for Halldórsson saving the Messi penalty. Halldórsson's Saga will be an Icelandic legend.

Reactions: ck26 and Heldig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad