OT: World Cup of Hockey

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, no Phil is surprising but then you look at the coaches/management and then it's not so surprising.

Sully is assistant coaching Team USA btw.

Marns

Jul 31, 2006
Toronto, ON
www.thestretchpass.com
Yet Jack Johnson gets a run. Torts is picking his boys, end of story.

I feel for USA fans. When you have the best players out there, you're one of the more enjoyable international teams to watch. Unfortunately, this one is being run by a bunch of knuckle-dragging mouth breathers.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Anyone looks at ticket prices for the games at Consol? Why are they so expensive?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm not even mad about the Kessel ommision because he's not even the worst snub there. What moron decided to not being Shattenkirk, Johnson and Faulk? Just dumb. Faulk and Shattenkirk are both debatable for the 2nd best USA defenseman and neither are on the team.

Eh, I'd call Kessel our 2nd best scoring threat so it's pretty damn close.

This is why you don't give the keys to an international tournament to a ****ing caveman.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Jack ****ing Johnson made the team over Faulk, Shattenkirk, and Fowler. That's ****ing *********. Torts gonna Torts. 3 Olympians from the last team passed over for somebody who is god awful along with EJ and Niskanen. :facepalm:. Let alone the exclusions of Kessel, Johnson, Stastny and Okposo. For Dubinsky, Callahan, and Justin Abdelkader. Like I said, Torts gonna Torts.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Sorry, Americans, but I hope this ends in humiliation. I hate the kind of hockey and decision making this is showcasing, that **** needs to end badly. Also **** Torts.

At least Phil will be safe from a stupid injury, though.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Torts entire game strategy is to stand his five players in front of the goalie and block shots, so the less skilled players he takes the better.

Also what the hell is this team north america silliness? The more I read about this the dumber it gets.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
It was already going to be difficult to root for a team with Patrick Kane on it, but with this joke roster I think I'm out completely. Sucks.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Just the first name and last name on the list alone are enough to make a person say WT F. I truly don't get it. This is tournament hockey and we leave some of our best skill players at home? When we have a skill deficit compared to some of the other top teams?

The USA's weakness before the roster was even picked was probably center depth. Then they go and leave their two most skilled centers off the roster, weakening it even more.

One of Team USA's biggest strengths before the roster was picked was the winger depth. Then they go and ruin that by leaving off the leading Olympic scorer/front-runner for the Conn Smythe, a 30-goal scorer this year in Kyle Palmieri, and a guy with some grit that actually can score in Kyle Okposo in favor of Abdelkader and Callahan.

The sad part is, even though I'd swap out both Johnsons and Niskanen for Faulk, Fowler and Shattenkirk without blinking, that is where (goalies aside) they messed up the least. At least they didn't put Orpik on there this time.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'm American and I could care less really. Don't give a hoot about this tournament. Consider it one step up from preseason hockey. Which means I'll watch of course, but that's not saying much.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'll be rooting against team USA because I don't think those sort of roster decisions should be rewarded with even a fluke victory.

There's nothing wrong with heart-and-soul guys that play hard and simple, and chip pucks in and block shots. But completely omitting talent is just not the way the game of hockey should be played. I understand team USA can't match up with Sweden, Russia or Canada in terms of overall talent from top to bottom, but you can't beat those countries with 23 Ryan Callahans either. Someone has to move the puck up to the forwards and some of those forwards have to be able to create offense from nothing every now and then.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Sadly, yes. Though Roenick wasn't there for that. The ****ing Hatcher brothers were.

Two years later, with Roenick, they got knocked out of the Olympics in the quarters, so they trashed their hotel.

Jc what a crime against humanity. Maybe they should have been flogged for such a travesty. :rolleyes:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What a stupid roster for US. No Tyler Johnson or Phil Kessel? Freaking morons.

Maybe Callahan and Dubinsky can board enough dudes from behind to get a win or two.

I'll be rooting for the young guns.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm trying to figure out how Team Canada takes a look at what PK Subban can do, and says, "you know what? We don't need that on our team."

Team USA also making utterly baffling decisions (Abdelkader and Callhan? Seriously?) makes it really easy to just root for "Team North America" at this point.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm trying to figure out how Team Canada takes a look at what PK Subban can do, and says, "you know what? We don't need that on our team."

Doughty, Burns, Weber, and Pietrangelo. Who shouldn't be there?

There were bigger snubs on Team Canada. Someone like Taylor Hall should have made the team. Especially with how well he clicked with Crosby at last year's World Championships, and how difficult it seems to be to find a winger to click with Sid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad