OT: World Cup of Hockey

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So Oshie was taken and not Kessel so far. The optics of that is interesting for Pens fans.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
They probably factored chemistry into everything a bit, in the sense that most players in the league probably hate his guts, and he's not so good that it doesn't matter.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I think it would have been better to have a Quebec team instead of the youth team. What's the point of putting a team out there that has absolutely no chance?

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Glad Kessel's not going. In fact, I'd be okay with no Pens going to this farce that the NHL is pretending players care about as much as the Olympics. It's in Toronto, the corporate cash will make it a resounding monetary success, etc, but really, I'm surprised each team didn't get a 30 man roster so each NHL team could be represented. Because you aren't going to see them go at it much harder than at an All-Star game, and I can't blame them.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I prefer the NHL rules and regs to the Olympics and IIHF, so I'm looking forward to that aspect. But they shouldn't have made fake teams, like Team North America and Team Europe, for something they want the players to take seriously.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
You're not really playing for your country, if it's not the Olympics. It's a money grab by the NHL. My hope is that Phil called them after the initial list came out and told them they could kiss his ... and that's why he's not on there.

I'm a long time Leafs fan and I don't like to see Auston Matthews on the team. Watch him get injured before he plays a single game for the Leafs. I wish he didn't make it.

I mean it's pretty cool to show your grandkids your Olympic medal, but who the hell cares about a World Cup medal? Nobody.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
That's simply false. Playing in an international competition like this means one is representing their country, unless it's some made up team like Team Europe and TNA.

The WCoH could be the biggest of the international competitions because of it uses the NHL rules and regulations, but they have to get it right.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Canada will win, but I'll definitely be catching every game of Team North America. I'd love to see those kids make it through to play Canada.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Just when the USA finally managed to become likable again, the appointment of Tortorella alone takes them back to the days of Chelios, Roenick, Hull, Tkachuk, Amonte, Suter and Leclair.

God, what a ****heel team that was.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
So how is this going to work in relation to training camp? I thought this was going to be held before camp but I now see that it runs at the same time camp usually does.

I'd rather not have Sullivan, Sid, Geno, Maatta, Horny, Murray, and Hags miss camp. Especially since it would be Sully's first camp.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Just when the USA finally managed to become likable again, the appointment of Tortorella alone takes them back to the days of Chelios, Roenick, Hull, Tkachuk, Amonte, Suter and Leclair.

God, what a ****heel team that was.

Didn't those guys win in 96 or am I making stuff up in my head?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Sadly, yes. Though Roenick wasn't there for that. The ****ing Hatcher brothers were.

Two years later, with Roenick, they got knocked out of the Olympics in the quarters, so they trashed their hotel.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Sadly, yes. Though Roenick wasn't there for that. The ****ing Hatcher brothers were.

Two years later, with Roenick, they got knocked out of the Olympics in the quarters, so they trashed their hotel.

Oh yeah...haha that was some funny ****. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad