GDT: World Cup of Hockey Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Burn down Team USA, from its philosophy to its leadership

John Tortorella was hired for three reasons. The first was always asinine: Because he wasn’t currently in an NHL job, which was a requirement for GM Dean Lombardi and the Team USA braintrust. That way, he could completely focus on building and managing this group ahead of the World Cup.

Great plan! Oh, darn, look at that: John Tortorella was hired by the Columbus Blue Jackets, and thus had to do NHL things. You could have named Peter Laviolette coach after all!

The second reason was that Tortorella would give this team a discernible identity, matching management’s philosophy on selecting players: ‘Gritty Jammy Sandpaper That Can Maybe Beat Canada’ guys. The team had skill, but not enough of it, as offensively talented Americans were left home in favor of old soldiers and role players.

The third reason was that Tortorella, for all his failings as a tactical coach and all his outdated philosophies on how to win in today’s NHL, would at the very least be the kind of coach that would light a fire under his players and have them prepared for a short-sprint tournament like the World Cup. A master motivator, if you will.

And then they lose their first two games of the tournament and are eliminated.

Not saying that Torts was the reason we got the result we did, but I think this just the perfect example of how this team was built for all the wrong reasons from the start.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is everyone forgetting that the US hit three posts in the final 8 minutes or so? All of those shots had cleanly beaten Price, especially Stepan's where he barely moved.

If those had gone in there would have been a completely different narrative today, I.e., what a gutsy comeback by a bunch of character players.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Is everyone forgetting that the US hit three posts in the final 8 minutes or so? All of those shots had cleanly beaten Price, especially Stepan's where he barely moved.

If those had gone in there would have been a completely different narrative today, I.e., what a gutsy comeback by a bunch of character players.

you have a point there, but the game wasn't particularly close either. In a best of three?

USA will certainly push to have its U23 guys if this happens again.

Management reminded me all too much of the WJC debacle: leaving a guy like Kyle Connor off in favor of, say, Ryan Hitchcock. You still win hockey games by scoring more goals than the other guys, right?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

For me, the Canada game isn't issue #1. I don't ever expect to beat them. Had they beat Europe, who they should've beaten, a win against the Czechs and they move on. The Europe game was the unforgivable one.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

Sorry, but we, as Wild fans, see plenty of games where we outplay the other team yet end up losing because the bounces didn't go our way. That's just not what happened last night. This US team completely went through the motions for the entire game last night and I wouldn't feel any better about their performance had the "puck luck" gone their way. If those shots had gone in, I think the narrative would have been more like "what a lucky comeback by a bunch of uninspired players that should count their blessings that Canada sat back and played dead".

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

True, but...

Canada completely outplayed Team USA, pretty much from beginning to end.

And, as Dr. Jan Itor said, the Canada loss wouldn't be a huge issue if they had beaten Team Europe.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
For me, the Canada game isn't issue #1. I don't ever expect to beat them. Had they beat Europe, who they should've beaten, a win against the Czechs and they move on. The Europe game was the unforgivable one.

100% agree.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sorry, but we, as Wild fans, see plenty of games where we outplay the other team yet end up losing because the bounces didn't go our way. That's just not what happened last night. This US team completely went through the motions for the entire game last night and I wouldn't feel any better about their performance had the "puck luck" gone their way. If those shots had gone in, I think the narrative would have been more like "what a lucky comeback by a bunch of uninspired players that should count their blessings that Canada sat back and played dead".

No way. Team USA would've been "clutch", and Torts a "motivator" .

Look, Canada has the better talent. Adding Okposo and Kessel(both mediocre defensively) will not change that. I would like to see Mathews and Eichel on Team USA...Jones is no biggie, for me.

The U23's losing Ekblad is a huge loss for them.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Is ESPN tiling like a mofo for anyone else? I'm on Comcast. Tried a new HDMI cable, switching ports on my TV, SD and HD channels, both are awful.

The one time I'm actually glad I have ESPN, and it's nearly unwatchable...

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
If only all teams in the NHL can Put skill on all four lines.

If they remove the cap. - it will end up with Barcelona vs Real Madrid in soccer.
A rich NHL club will buy all the best players = less entertaining league. :)

And Hockey is a much smaller sport compare to soccer in the world.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
If they remove the cap. - it will end up with Barcelona vs Real Madrid in soccer.
A rich NHL club will buy all the best players = less entertaining league. :)

And Hockey is a much smaller sport compare to soccer in the world.

Ok fine then if only all teams in the NHL played like team NA.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Haula back for this game? They could use his counterattack ability.

The success of the tournament now depends on Finland winning. Is there any reason to tune in to watch Jay Bouwmeester take on Patric Hornqvist, or Dmitry Orlov vs. Vanek?

I'm not sure what the refs were thinking yesterday...I've seen worse displays of officiating, but it was like they knew Team NA had to win and went out of their ways to make sure Sweden got equal opportunities.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Haula back for this game? They could use his counterattack ability.

The success of the tournament now depends on Finland winning. Is there any reason to tune in to watch Jay Bouwmeester take on Patric Hornqvist, or Dmitry Orlov vs. Vanek?

I'm not sure what the refs were thinking yesterday...I've seen worse displays of officiating, but it was like they knew Team NA had to win and went out of their ways to make sure Sweden got equal opportunities.

I have more faith in Finland playing for pride over the US team playing for pride.

This tourney turned into International Men's basketball when US fields their pro team. It's Canada and then everyone else is playing for second, or a huge upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad