GDT: World Cup of Hockey Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Not sure where to put this Suter was named alternate captain for team USA. Also is it bad that I'm not cheering for US?

Last edited by a moderator:

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I still resent the NHL for butchering this up. North American youngsters and European leftovers... seriously?

114.gif

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm fine with the European conglomeration because none of them are going to be asked to play against their own country. Team U23 North America I'm very much not a fan of. I get that they want to showcase more young talent, but its just wrong.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Kane's kind of a head-scratcher when it comes to leadership positions...

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Thing is the Olympic pool is no better. If you don't allow teams with growing programs or hockey traditions like Latvia, France, Italy, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Denmark - just to name a few - to participate, then how can they be expected to commit resources? How are the players supposed to grow? Instead they have a three pool tournament (that features the host team) and will result in the same old medalists as ever.

At least Team North America brings some of the best players in the league together. They will be the most fun team to watch by far.

But the whole WC is a goofy Bettman boondoggle that will undoubtedly result in a severe injury impacting some team's fortunes (hope not). A chance to roll out ads on uniforms and water down interest in player participation in the Olympics. I don't mind if the NHL doesn't do the Olympics because the spirit of the thing is an amateur competition, but if you're going to do a World Cup then make it a bit more inclusive. Or maybe just allow each province to enter a squad - I have little doubt a Team Manitoba would be competitive in international tournament play. It would be nice for the rest of the world to have the chance to catch up as well.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I still resent the NHL for butchering this up. North American youngsters and European leftovers... seriously?

114.gif

This format is embarrassingly ridiculous but even that wouldn't really matter if the NHL wasn't planning on skipping the Olympics and replacing the tournament with this abomination. Hockey is not played on paper and simply a list of good players doesn't make for a great team. At least some Finnish players (like Koivu) seem to be skeptical when it comes to the leftover teams' motivation and team effort. I can only imagine what their reaction would've been if the NHL had dismantled Team Finland and instead created Team Nordic.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I like the U23 and Europe teams. It's a different feel than the rest of the country tournaments. All the players should be at their healthiest, but maybe a bit rusty. So should be some good hockey.

All the NHL players need to stay healthy for it to be a success. It's not like NHL owners/Bettman really care if a KHL player gets hurt. But if Crosby (or his caliber of player) gets injured and misses a chunk of the season, owners might be a little reluctant to have another one of these before the season starts.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
IDGAF about the team compositions or if this is a gimmick or whatever. Just give me some hockey and preferably with good teams playing. This tournament gives me that.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
IDGAF about the team compositions or if this is a gimmick or whatever. Just give me some hockey and preferably with good teams playing. This tournament gives me that.

Yep, that's where I'm at.

Ideally, if this was the only best-on-best tournament, you wouldn't have the U23 team and the "European Leftovers" team, but I love international hockey enough that I will gobble this tournament up.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
FIN v SWE soon. Also ordered a pizza.

This should be an excellent evening.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Honestly, I just want this stupid gimmick tourney OVER ASAP!!!

Get me real NHL hockey soon, or I might lose it.

(Thank gawd the NFL is starting, so at least I will be comforted by that for a while)

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Just saw a smallish but marvellous movie: The Happiest Day in The Life of Olli Mäki. Ate some fried vendace and puikula potatoes. Now Finland-Sweden gimmick-hockey and a few beers. Not a bad day.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Finnish broadcast said Granlund is in excellent shape.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Is it bad that I'm already scared of facing Laine next season?

Fast, big and has a great shot.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Guess it would've been more fun to play in front of full arena, but ticket prices made sure there are empty seats. Could've been there too if the prices were at least moderate.

Although surprisingly small amount of empty seats, at least what can be seen on TV.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Is that at Quebec's arena?

Edit: Nvm, saw this one is in FIN. Europe/NA is at Quebec.

Yeah, here first and in Sweden on Saturday. Me and my son would've cost 79€+39€=118€, tickets only. The cheapest alternative available when I was looking for tickets. The cheapest tickets were already gone though. And this is a preliminary game..

Heard that in Sweden the most expensive tickets are like 80€ (no source though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad