GDT: World Cup of Hockey Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Laine is an awesome kid, although he needs to get faster hands and legs. In a small rink there won't have as much time for decision making and shot release. Training training and one day he will be a great hockey player. He is already big, physical and talented scorer. You can't buy those qualities.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Watched a bit of both games this past afternoon.

That Russian Panarin is so good. Man I love watching that guy play.

I liked what I saw from Koivu today. Didn't play close enough attention to really catch a ton of Haula. The Fins had it figured out on 3v3 though, don't put Koivu out there. Too slow. Was fun to watch, Granny was out there quite a bit in overtime.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Team NA was fun to watch, they owned Europe. Chara looked old and slow. McDavid was amazing.

When I noticed Nino on the ice it was for board play mostly. The NA FWDs looked to be a level above Nino.

It was the first game, exhibition at that, so hopefully Europe finds something to their game. Otherwise they won't really be competitive at all.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Watched a bit of both games this past afternoon.

That Russian Panarin is so good. Man I love watching that guy play.

I liked what I saw from Koivu today. Didn't play close enough attention to really catch a ton of Haula. The Fins had it figured out on 3v3 though, don't put Koivu out there. Too slow. Was fun to watch, Granny was out there quite a bit in overtime.

Yeah Koivu has his strengths but 3on3 hockey is definitely not among them. Hopefully Boudreau figures that soon. Otherwise pretty good game from Koivu and looks like he's in great shape again. Granlund was solid as always (after Barkov the best forward) when wearing national jersey, hopefully Staal works so Granlund can be on the wing next season. Haula was great on pk and was buzzing from time to time. He's constantly a threat with his speed and got break-away but Markstrom made a great save. From different sources (mouth to mouth) i hear that Haula has really put some effort on his off-season work-out and is in great shape. Last season was a great lesson for him.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I find it a bit surprising that Team Europe left Nik Ehlers off, especially with Paul Maurice on staff. Old and slow might not be the way to go in this tourney. I'm sure Team Europe will have better performances, but that was a pretty sound whuppin.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I find it a bit surprising that Team Europe left Nik Ehlers off, especially with Paul Maurice on staff. Old and slow might not be the way to go in this tourney. I'm sure Team Europe will have better performances, but that was a pretty sound whuppin.

Might be that Maurice is happy that Ehlers isn't playing, and wants to save him for the season. They could use him...Europe looked pretty bad.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

I agree with this. Europe was second to every puck last night. Team NA is a serious contender IMO. That speed is huge, especially in September when guys are not playing their best yet. Also as many have said, they have zero pressure...which is a massive advantage. They can just go out there and play.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Suter was outstanding today. Positive. Looked like he got a lot of PP time. Negative.

True that he was outstanding. On the PP he did slow it down a little bit too much at times. But nothing like what it was with the Wild last season.

Also he was a threat to shoot on the PP at least he looked like it and that is enough. He definitely wasn't that last season when the puck just died on his blade and it looked like he wasn't even trying to find a shooting lane. Or that he wasn't even thinking about making a quick and crisp pass to make the box really move.

To be fair I think he was given a surprising amount of time and space on that PP last night. Anyway I was really happy to see him actually QBing that thing for a change.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Granlund took a roughing penalty for a scrum with Silfverberg. Koivu jumped in to the scrum and Landeskog took him from behind.

Landeskog being Landeskog.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Koivu with a goal and an assist.

Granlund has looked pretty good, has had some chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad