World Cup of Hockey Discussion III

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Meh....this whole tournament was kind of lame. Canada winning equally lame. Glad this is over...let's get on with the NHL season..

I was actually looking forward to it back when it was materializing like two or so years ago. My interest level then just dwindled with each news trickling out about it then ultimately the tournament itself.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The concept of a Team Europe and Team NA didn't help to establish this tournament. Team Europe making it to the final only made it worse.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
image.jpg

You know and I know....the fitness level of the curlers in Canada gave come a long way.

Crazy that Canada is 16-0 in the last 3 best on best tourneys.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Meh, I didnt even know it was supposed to end tonight already. As rebelbully said, the rat has killed that tournament for me. I will remember this as a "could have been" event. - American roster, Canadian roster, Giroux's usage, Glassborik staying healthy...

And as mentioned above, non-anthem team EU did not help one bit. I have been very excited to watch the American young guns, but the EU just did not feel well. "Could have been" in their case was definitely not using The Final Countdown. :laugh:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Meh, I didnt even know it was supposed to end tonight already. As rebelbully said, the rat has killed that tournament for me. I will remember this as a "could have been" event. - American roster, Canadian roster, Giroux's usage, Glassborik staying healthy...

And as mentioned above, non-anthem team EU did not help one bit. I have been very excited to watch the American young guns, but the EU just did not feel well. "Could have been" in their case was definitely not using The Final Countdown. :laugh:

The young guns were the best part but even that was a dumb decision. The best part of these tournaments are the young guys who come out of nowhere on their team and make a name for themselves. How much more exciting would it have been to have Matthews, Eichel, Ghost, and Gaudreau on team USA being introduced to the general public. Or McDavid with team canada?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Team North America was the most enjoyable part of the tournament. With a best of 3 final in Toronto there was no chance anyone would beat Canada in the finals.

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey guys haven't really been following the thread, world Cup was pretty boring to say the least; But does anyone know why the **** Giroux was sitting in the press box while O'Reilly and Couture were playing, even though they were the injury replacements? Seems like a really weird decision. I know he took that hit in the pre-tournament game but as I recall he wasn't injured. I mean sure I'm glad he didn't have the chance to get hurt before the season starts but seeing Giroux on TC finally was the only reason I was even slightly excited for this tournament. Anyone who can clarify that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hey guys haven't really been following the thread, world Cup was pretty boring to say the least; But does anyone know why the **** Giroux was sitting in the press box while O'Reilly and Couture were playing, even though they were the injury replacements? Seems like a really weird decision. I know he took that hit in the pre-tournament game but as I recall he wasn't injured. I mean sure I'm glad he didn't have the chance to get hurt before the season starts but seeing Giroux on TC finally was the only reason I was even slightly excited for this tournament. Anyone who can clarify that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Easy, it's because TC is run by a group of idiots. Management, coaches, everyone. Injury replacements somehow take the place of people already on the roster, even though they're inferior players. Also, being a #1 overall pick is more important than actually performing (Stamkos).

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Easy, it's because TC is run by a group of idiots. Management, coaches, everyone. Injury replacements somehow take the place of people already on the roster, even though they're inferior players. Also, being a #1 overall pick is more important than actually performing (Stamkos).

That's pretty much what I figured. I just don't see how they can possibly justify putting injury replacements in the lineup over a player who was picked for the original roster. Where's the logic in that? You were ready to leave those guys at home and now all of a sudden they're taking the place of someone who should be an absolute lock for your lineup? Makes zero sense. Lost a lot of respect for Babcock in this joke of a tournament.
Also just as a side note, I'm one of the most passionate people around when it comes to Team Canada, and that was easily the most boring TC I've ever seen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's pretty much what I figured. I just don't see how they can possibly justify putting injury replacements in the lineup over a player who was picked for the original roster. Where's the logic in that? You were ready to leave those guys at home and now all of a sudden they're taking the place of someone who should be an absolute lock for your lineup? Makes zero sense. Lost a lot of respect for Babcock in this joke of a tournament.
Also just as a side note, I'm one of the most passionate people around when it comes to Team Canada, and that was easily the most boring TC I've ever seen.

Babcock does not like Giroux. It was a disgraceful slap in the face decision IMO.

Babcock is an arrogant ***** and I hope he withers away the rest of his career in Toronto. Matthews gives them hope of turning it around but i'm praying they still **** it up.

You don't pick a guy for a team and then bench him for replacements when he had done nothing to play himself off the team. Hell, he wasn't even getting the ice time to play himself off the team.

O'Reilly, Couture, Duchene, Perry, and a few others had absolutely no business playing over Giroux.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

There is none. At least nothing solid.

That's why Canada does stupid ****, that's why team USA is a complete joke, that's why the same idiots get jobs over and over again after proving they're not qualified.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
When did Babcock become an arrogant POS? His comment "This is what we're building in Toronto"

What the ****? He's claiming that Toronto will field 12 elite forwards and 6 #1/#2 Defensemen?

I don't remember him being like this in Detroit, now all of the sudden, he's surly looking, almost Bill Belicheck like. It really makes that team even more unlikable, he seems to have this **** don't stink attitude and that the league needs to expect the Maple Leafs to be elite soon. They'll be a nice bulls eye on that team from the rest of the teams.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
When did Babcock become an arrogant POS? His comment "This is what we're building in Toronto"

What the ****? He's claiming that Toronto will field 12 elite forwards and 6 #1/#2 Defensemen?

I don't remember him being like this in Detroit, now all of the sudden, he's surly looking, almost Bill Belicheck like. It really makes that team even more unlikable, he seems to have this **** don't stink attitude and that the league needs to expect the Maple Leafs to be elite soon. They'll be a nice bulls eye on that team from the rest of the teams.

better watch out, Leaf fans will accuse you of being jealous :sarcasm:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think Babcock, just like everything Canadian to the Canadian hockey media, is crazy overrated. They love their cliches and fabricated storylines, he's just another one. He had a long run of success in Detroit, but I guess we're sop posed to be ignoring the players who were there? It was all the coach? Not Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, etc? Of course the Canadian gets the praise as much as the Russian and two Swedes. They also overrate what coaches provide to a team. In the end it's the players make a team successful or not. That doesn't mean a bad coach can't screw things up (Berube) but if they're not doing stupid **** that gets in the way of the players then there's only so much that they actually do.

The media gets all worked up about the success of TC over the last few years... but they really think it's Babcock and not the insane teams they have every tournament? If Canada didn't win most tournaments it'd be a massive failure considering the insane depth they have at every position.

And one thing that made me want him to lose even more was when his dumb ass went with the whole "don't Make any changes after wins" philosophy (and that had nothing to do with Giroux, like I said, I'm glad he didn't play and risk injury). It's so stupid to think like that, that if you win you can't improve the team. What if you win in spite of a very obvious problem? It's not impossible for that problem to **** you over next game so take care of it as soon as possible. It's as if you know your car has a problem but you refuse to fix it until after it breaks down completely and can't run.

Now that he's a Leaf he can eat an extra large pile of ****. It was easy to just ignore him in Detroit but everything Maple Leaf has to get shoved down the throat of every hockey fan.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I too have noticed this change since he made the move to Toronto. This is what happens to some people when they get pumped up by the media and their peers.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Oh for ****s sake.

I swear typing on my phone is the hardest **** in the entire world. I always make a ton of mistakes and then go back and correct them... but of course I still missed it.

Had it been any other poster on this entire website I wouldn't have pointed it out - but because it was you I felt like it had to be done. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad