World Cup of Hockey Discussion III

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I was reading an article from Dreger he earlier that was a bunch of tidbits about the World Cup. He cited a report from Lebrun that we're trending towards Team North America & Team Europe not being included for the 2020 tournament.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I was reading an article from Dreger he earlier that was a bunch of tidbits about the World Cup. He cited a report from Lebrun that we're trending towards Team North America & Team Europe not being included for the 2020 tournament.

Wasn't that pretty much stated when they first introduced this? The thought was they didn't have enough time to do a complete qualifying round for other countries and kind of just put Team NA and Team Europe in there to get 8 teams

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Yea, it was suggested why they did it this way. But Team NA was so ridiculously popular, I think they have to stick with them. Honestly I didn't see a big deal, If you yank Team Europe out and replaced with the 8 countries its made up of would ANY of them challenge some of the better teams?

What are the 8 teams?

Germany
Swiss
France
Italy
Slovakia
Austria
Norway
Denmark

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Wasn't that pretty much stated when they first introduced this? The thought was they didn't have enough time to do a complete qualifying round for other countries and kind of just put Team NA and Team Europe in there to get 8 teams

I have no idea. I really didn't pay attention enough when it first got in motion.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I just heard a sound clip of Tortorella's presser wherein he says something along the lines of "everybody loves to poke holes after the fact, but look we had 20 scoring chances and they had nine"...and literally a sentence and ten seconds later he says "we didn't have enough high quality scoring chances".

That's literally two completely contrary statements in terms of what he meant by it being stated back-to-back. How does this man still get work ever? How does the USA braintrust think this way?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I really don't understand the gripes of team NA and Europe. Team Germany or Team Swiss would be awful compared to the other teams and most of the kids on team NA wouldn't end up playing for their home country besides maybe McDavid? Perhaps any player for team NA can only play on NA once? Team USA should be significantly better next time.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I just heard a sound clip of Tortorella's presser wherein he says something along the lines of "everybody loves to poke holes after the fact, but look we had 20 scoring chances and they had nine"...and literally a sentence and ten seconds later he says "we didn't have enough high quality scoring chances".

That's literally two completely contrary statements in terms of what he meant by it being stated back-to-back. How does this man still get work ever? How does the USA braintrust think this way?

Well, they may not be that contradictory. When you bring players like Justin Abdelkader, I would agree that 20 scoring chances aren't enough. ;)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I really don't understand the gripes of team NA and Europe. Team Germany or Team Swiss would be awful compared to the other teams and most of the kids on team NA wouldn't end up playing for their home country besides maybe McDavid? Perhaps any player for team NA can only play on NA once? Team USA should be significantly better next time.

Gaudrea, Matthews and Saad would have made Team USA.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Gaudreau, Matthews and Saad would have made Team USA.

Not sure if I believe that. Team USA management made way too many questionable decisions for me to think much of them. They continually bring Jack Johnson over far superior players.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Gaudrea, Matthews and Saad would have made Team USA.

Saad would have. Not convinced Gaudreau would and Matthews definitely would not have. Especially since Lombardi went ahead and doubled down on his philosophy.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I'll be sitting in the bottom left corner of the rink in the front row. It's right where the camera cuts off during game play but maybe you guys will see me. Wearing my Giroux Winter Classic jersey.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
The game is at 7pm, i.e. starts in 90 minutes, correct?

I am checking because my sleeping habits are kicking in again, just like when Canada played Cze... :)

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
So Russia had 4 players on the ice during the first goal for Canada.

Canada was not on the PP...

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I just turned it on about 5 min ago - right before Crosby's goal. I haven't seen Giroux yet - I guess he isn't playing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad