World Cup of Hockey Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Granlund rings the post and Ovechkin with a sensational set-up to Tarasenko. Damn.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He played for the WC team this year and played well so I'm sure he was on the short list.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is it possible for Canada and Russia to both lose on Saturday? Ugh.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I found it weird Lombardi mentioned Wheeler & Kesler amongst Abdelkader, Backes, Dubinsky, etc. as if those two were apart of the questionable roster decisions at his press conference.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I found it weird Lombardi mentioned Wheeler & Kesler amongst Abdelkader, Backes, Dubinsky, etc. as if those two were apart of the questionable roster decisions at his press conference.

They dont even know what they did wrong.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So Ryan Suter just scored on Team USA to give Czech the lead. Lmao.

Also Pavelski is terrible at Center.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ugh Abdelkader scored. Guess we will see him on the next Olympic team.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Wheeler is one of the BEST players who is an American. Their constant mis use of him in international play just doesn't make sense.

it is baffling. The guy can play the game. Probably doesn't hit and block enough shots man.
I get and understand shortly after this loss that the coaching staff and management group is not going to throw anyone under the bus.
But if this group still thinks going forward that this type of group is good enough in future international events then I am really not going to be happy at all.
The talent that was left off this team both up front and in the back was a massive blunder.
if Torts is coaching US hockey in 2018(if the NHL goes) then I am going to be pulling whatever hair is left on my head out. Get that clown out of here. dude is a clueless idiot who is still living off that Cup run in Tampa.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think any of the big players in management & coaching will be back after this flop. Sochi was considered a big disappointment & there they at least had their shot at Canada to advance to the end. I'll give ESPN credit for once in that they really didn't let up on making it known how much of a flop this was during their broadcasts. I can't imagine the brass at USA Hockey are too pleased with all the egg on the face right now.

Their talent pool is shifting anyway though. The main core from the last three major tournaments are getting older now. A lot of these guys if they even make it will likely be playing smaller roles by then just like what we saw with Backes this tournament. Team North American had 12 Americans on it. A lot of these guys are either going to make it or at least be on the short list come 2018. There's more high end talent especially down the middle compared to the last core. You also could also have some guys rise up that aren't really discussed legitimately right now too.

I ultimately think they'll do what they did in Vancouver when they decided to generally go younger with their roster establishing a new core (Kane, Pavelski, Parise, Suter, Kesler, Backes, etc.). Some of those guys will likely be back in veteran roles like Rafalski, Langebruner, Drury, etc. were there.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't think any of the big players in management & coaching will be back after this flop. Sochi was considered a big disappointment & there they at least had their shot at Canada to advance to the end. I'll give ESPN credit for once in that they really didn't let up on making it known how much of a flop this was during their broadcasts. I can't imagine the brass at USA Hockey are too pleased with all the egg on the face right now.

Their talent pool is shifting anyway though. The main core from the last three major tournaments are getting older now. A lot of these guys if they even make it will likely be playing smaller roles by then just like what we saw with Backes this tournament. Team North American had 12 Americans on it. A lot of these guys are either going to make it or at least be on the short list come 2018. There's more high end talent especially down the middle compared to the last core. You also could also have some guys rise up that aren't really discussed legitimately right now too.

I ultimately think they'll do what they did in Vancouver when they decided to generally go younger with their roster establishing a new core (Kane, Pavelski, Parise, Suter, Kesler, Backes, etc.). Some of those guys will likely be back in veteran roles like Rafalski, Langebruner, Drury, etc. were there.

Literally the ONLY good parts of watching Team USA during the World Cup were Cory Schneiders pads and Brett Hull destroying them at every intermission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad