GDT: World cup of hockey 2016 thread (Part 2 - The Finale)

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
GO FINLAND! Seriously, I don't think I've ever wanted a game more (that doesn't feature the Rangers) than a Canada-North America game. My God would that be fun to watch!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Solid chance we see a repeat of the Sochi bronze medal game tonight, yeah? Team USA was built and came to this tournament to beat Canada. They didn't. Now they're playing a meaningless game with NHL camps looming in the near future?

4-1 CZE

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
No surprise they are eliminating Team NA and Team Europe in 2020 with the largest viewership base no longer having a reason to watch anymore.

Zuuuuc

Dec 19, 2010
Canada
A few thoughts on WCOH based on the games that I went to in person (I live in Toronto)

Zucc was flying when I watched Europe vs Czech, he was engaged in the play every time he was on the ice and drew a few penalties. His pass on the OT winner was a thing of beauty, the kind of thread the needle pass that not a lot of players can do. Even my friend who was with me at the game, a notorious Ranger hater, was impressed by his play as a whole.
Also the most common jersey in the arena for that game was Zuccarello. Lots of Rangers ones, lots of Europe ones and a few Norway ones.

Hank had an extremely shaky start yesterday afternoon, but North America was flying and Swedens defence was no up to the challenge to start the game. But boy did he settle in, the man faced 49 shots and made a few ten bell saves. Everyone is sharing the video of MacKinnons OT winner but wheres the video of Hanks save on McDavid right before that. A lesser goalie would have let in 10 yesterday afternoon. I had a chat with former Ranger and cup winner Nick Kypreos, but being a broadcaster he wouldnt do more than smile when I asked if he thought Hank was better than Price.

Miller barely played yesterday and wasnt too noticeable in his shifts. Although he did give a few extra slashes to a Swedish player (cant remember who) after chasing him down the ice. His last slash was rather hard lol

I cant remember who was mentioning that the Rangers should sign Jakub Nakladal, but man can he shoot. The times he missed the net with his shots, the boards rattled

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
a few thoughts on wcoh based on the games that i went to in person (i live in toronto)

zucc was flying when i watched europe vs czech, he was engaged in the play every time he was on the ice and drew a few penalties. His pass on the ot winner was a thing of beauty, the kind of thread the needle pass that not a lot of players can do. Even my friend who was with me at the game, a notorious ranger hater, was impressed by his play as a whole.
Also the most common jersey in the arena for that game was zuccarello. Lots of rangers ones, lots of europe ones and a few norway ones.

Hank had an extremely shaky start yesterday afternoon, but north america was flying and swedens defence was no up to the challenge to start the game. But boy did he settle in, the man faced 49 shots and made a few ten bell saves. Everyone is sharing the video of mackinnons ot winner but wheres the video of hanks save on mcdavid right before that. A lesser goalie would have let in 10 yesterday afternoon. I had a chat with former ranger and cup winner nick kypreos, but being a broadcaster he wouldnt do more than smile when i asked if he thought hank was better than price.

Miller barely played yesterday and wasnt too noticeable in his shifts. Although he did give a few extra slashes to a swedish player (cant remember who) after chasing him down the ice. His last slash was rather hard lol

i cant remember who was mentioning that the rangers should sign jakub nakladal, but man can he shoot. The times he missed the net with his shots, the boards rattled

I summon thee...silverfish!

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It sounds like a great time and fun, @zuuuuuuc - Toronto is a great city for sure! :)

Zuuuuc

Dec 19, 2010
Canada
It sounds like a great time and fun, @zuuuuuuc - Toronto is a great city for sure! :)

Its been home for 31 years lol

I'm excited about Saturdays game which I have amazing seats to (I practically paid and arm, leg and my first born for the tickets)
No Rangers will be involved in the game, but I'm strongly considering getting tickets for Semi Finals #2, Zucc vs Hank

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Second USA goal for Ryan Mc. - he is ready for a new season for sure. :)

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
McDonagh was the only one to even show up for Team USA every game..

Oh well, bring on Zucc vs Hank!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Can't say I feel any empathy for USA.

**** their coach, **** their roster selection, **** their old boys club.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Can't say I feel any empathy for USA.

**** their coach, **** their roster selection, **** their old boys club.

Easy to second guess but guys like yandle , Faulk , stattenkirk on D would of made more sense than the johnsons .

Only Johnson they should of had was Tyler . How was Callahan in the team at the start and not kessel ? Yea kessel would of been hurt but it's pretty horrible selection

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I also noticed that the USA lines serious lack chemistry as well - which is strange since they`ve played with each other earlier in other tournaments.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

Larry and I came to a similar conclusion

So they don't think they can compete on talent level alone, So they enlarge the talent level gap even more, and that should give them a better chance to win?

Because culture, intangibles can beat talent, because it's obvious the other teams they face will not have any intangibles or culture of their own and are relying solely on talent?
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=122311399&postcount=448

I think the old guard just does not see it, bring your best players, make them feel as if they are just as good as the most talented teams, maybe they will play up to the challenge.

Surrendering to the other teams talent level by making selection based on weighting stuff above talent just sets a defeatist tone.

Zuuuuc

Dec 19, 2010
Canada
You can't remember?

How could you forget me? :(

My apologies :(

Will be reporting on Semi Finals #1 either tomorrow night or Sunday morning, unless of course Canada loses in which case I will be sad lol. Hopefully the game is exciting, because the tickets didnt come cheap

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Easy to hyperbole but this USA squad would likely be playing today:

Pacioretty - Pavelski - Kane
Palmieri - T Johnson - Kessel
Kreider - Stepan - Wheeler
Van Riemsdyk - Kesler - Okposo
B Ryan, Oshie or Parise

McDonaugh - Justin Faulk
Suter - Carlson
Yandle - Byfuglien
Shattenkirk or Greene

Schneider
Quick
Bishop

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I have not followed this closely, but why wasn't Tyler Johnson on the team?

Like I can understand why Torts left out the PMDs, like would be odd if he picked them if anything. He does t believe in his team trying to keep possession of the puck.

But Tyler Johnson? That one surprised me a great deal...

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Easy to hyperbole but this USA squad would likely be playing today:

Pacioretty - Pavelski - Kane
Palmieri - T Johnson - Kessel
Kreider - Stepan - Wheeler
Van Riemsdyk - Kesler - Okposo
B Ryan, Oshie or Parise

McDonaugh - Justin Faulk
Suter - Carlson
Yandle - Byfuglien
Shattenkirk or Greene

Schneider
Quick
Bishop

Amazing how some guy on a message board can see this, yet the 'experts' in charge of picking team USA couldn't.

They built a team to beat Canada. Got smashed by Canada, and couldn't even beat Europe or CZE.

Total embarrassment. Total failure.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I have not followed this closely, but why wasn't Tyler Johnson on the team?

Like I can understand why Torts left out the PMDs, like would be odd if he picked them if anything. He does t believe in his team trying to keep possession of the puck.

But Tyler Johnson? That one surprised me a great deal...

Tyler was too skillful. Team USA understood the only way to beat Canada was to de-skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad