GDT: World cup of hockey 2016 thread (Part 2 - The Finale)

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
2 Olympic Golds, 1 WCOH, 1 WC Gold, WJC Gold. He's always the best, or among the best players on all those teams.

And 3 cups for Chicago.

A comment here was said that he's no Mark Messier.... Well, he's not even 30 yet.

Yeah, that was me, and he's not, and never will be. Toews will never win a Hart or come close to 100 points.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
2 Olympic Golds, 1 WCOH, 1 WC Gold, WJC Gold. He's always the best, or among the best players on all those teams.

And 3 cups for Chicago.

A comment here was said that he's no Mark Messier.... Well, he's not even 30 yet.

I know scoring was different in Messier's era, but he was a much better offensive player.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Actually surprised at how little I cared about this tournament.

I'm sure the US being terrible had something to do with it, but this tournament did not hype me up as the Olympics do.

Even if the 2018 Olympics don't have NHL players, I think I'll still enjoy watching those games more than I did the WCoH. The WCoH is a made up marketing ploy by the NHL that isn't even 1/10 as good of the marketing that the NHL must get from the Olympics.

Sometimes I don't understand this league. I guess they can easily see the tangible money they are getting back from the WCoH, but surely a league paying players $6m a year or more for 'intangibles' can see the 'intagibles' that the Olympics brings.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, some good points @Silverfish - maybe the reason for that u take out the youths on the national team who might be good enough to be part of it. And Olympics events can be exciting outside of the hockey arena as well. ;)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I liked the WCoH and hope to see it again sometime. I think the idea of having Team Europe and NA was interesting and was a good experiment.

The players actually cared and played hard, which was surprising.

Looking forward to seeing the next one in 2020.

Also nice to see none of the Rangers participating get seriously injured or something.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
LIAygh5.jpg

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
If only Gaborik was healthy we had Canada to 1-0 in 57 minutes of the second game. ;)

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Actually surprised at how little I cared about this tournament.

I'm sure the US being terrible had something to do with it, but this tournament did not hype me up as the Olympics do.

Even if the 2018 Olympics don't have NHL players, I think I'll still enjoy watching those games more than I did the WCoH. The WCoH is a made up marketing ploy by the NHL that isn't even 1/10 as good of the marketing that the NHL must get from the Olympics.

Sometimes I don't understand this league. I guess they can easily see the tangible money they are getting back from the WCoH, but surely a league paying players $6m a year or more for 'intangibles' can see the 'intagibles' that the Olympics brings.

One of the biggest reasons the Olympics garners so much excitement is the tradition of it all. The NHLs plan for the WCoH isn't short term. In 20 years, when they're on tournament number 6, it should feel totally different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad