GWT: World Cup - Group H (Portugal and South Korea Advance)

Who Advances?

• Portugal

Votes: 46 88.5%
  • South Korea

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Ghana

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Uruguay

Votes: 40 76.9%

• Total voters

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think Uruguay are just too old by now, Valverde is in great form, but I just don't see them having much success despite that. One of the teams most likely to disappoint, imo.

I'm not sure what their lineup will be but I assume the old guys they'll use as starters are Muslera, Godin, Suarez. But there are also five subs. If some old guy is having a bad match they can just pull him out. I expect Suarez would only play 45-55 minutes in any case.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. Uruguay
2. Portugal
3. Ghana
4. South Korea

Uruguay will quietly go about their business and finish first with Portugal being a mess. Top two won’t be challenged by the other two.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Portugal has a massive squad. They have quality players at every single position.
Their only three drawbacks?
1/ Lack of depth compared to other contenders but they have zero injury.
2/ Poor coach but the team has enough quality to overcome this.
3/ Ronaldo will start (partly because of #2, but let's be honest few coaches would have the balls to bench him on the portugese NT) and as usual, the players will play for him to score. Bernardo already said this WC was for Ronaldo. This IMO is their main weakness. And injury or a ballsy coach would make them instant favourites IMO.

What's scary about them also is that their quality players are fairly young and will be dangerous for years. Also they have tons of excellent young coaches so the next one could be quality as well. This is IMO the most dangerous contender for titles after France in the next 8 years.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
The drinking games that can be had with this lineup.
FB_IMG_1669248628410.jpg

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Portugal has a massive squad. They have quality players at every single position.
Their only three drawbacks?
1/ Lack of depth compared to other contenders but they have zero injury.
2/ Poor coach but the team has enough quality to overcome this.
3/ Ronaldo will start (partly because of #2, but let's be honest few coaches would have the balls to bench him on the portugese NT) and as usual, the players will play for him to score. Bernardo already said this WC was for Ronaldo. This IMO is their main weakness. And injury or a ballsy coach would make them instant favourites IMO.

What's scary about them also is that their quality players are fairly young and will be dangerous for years. Also they have tons of excellent young coaches so the next one could be quality as well. This is IMO the most dangerous contender for titles after France in the next 8 years.
Diogo Jota is hurt.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
South Korea could be a nightmare for radio commentators "And Kim passes to Kim, Kim finds Kim on a run on the outside, Kim is really going for it, Kim is in the box open, but will Kim see Kim? Kim is now raising his arm and Kim finally sees Kim, sending a long ball his way. And free kick! Kim was toppled. Was it inside the box? The referee says no. Kim, Kim and Kim are making their disagreement known to the official. Kim has to be careful here, he's already on a yellow."

Reactions: gary69

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Like there's lots of Portuguese in Massachusetts? Tbh I feel like there's kind of lots of Portuguese everywhere

Not to mention Cape Verde who we have the highest population of who also I find in my experience pull for Portugal

Attachments

• 0CCB0FDE-EA3D-44A5-8570-DB99A09AF818.jpeg
    0CCB0FDE-EA3D-44A5-8570-DB99A09AF818.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 1

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Godin, Caceres and Suarez...three guys starting this game for Uruguay who played in South Africa 12 years ago. The Uruguayan team feels like a high end version of Costa Rica.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
You would have thought that in this group constellation a win would be massive in this match. But of course the reason a win would be massive is also the reason a loss would be massive. In an interesting illustration of human psychology both teams' fear of potentially being put into a deep, deep hole already at the start outweighed the aspiration of gaining a major advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad