GWT: World Cup - Group H (Portugal and South Korea Advance)

Who Advances?

• Portugal

Votes: 46 88.5%
  • South Korea

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Ghana

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Uruguay

Votes: 40 76.9%

• Total voters

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The final group in the 2022 World Cup, this group also features the likely final appearance of an all-time great. Cristiano Ronaldo will likely be making his World Cup swansong, and has entered the break with fireworks, telling off his club team, Manchester United, for whom two of his Portuguese teammates feature. It remains to be seen if Portugal can maintain chemistry throughout the tournament, as they look to continue a run of success that includes winning the 2016 Euros. Uruguay may be their biggest competition in the group, as the dark horse candidates feature a group of players in strong form. Ghana will look to avenge its loss to Uruguay in the 2010 World Cup, where Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez saved a goal illegally and, after the goal was wrongly not given, Uruguay advanced on penalties. South Korea, meanwhile, will seek to overcome injury to its star player, Heung-min Son, who will be sporting a Batman mask attempting to recover from a broken orbital bone.

Key Players: Thomas Partey (Ghana), Jordan Ayew (Ghana), Vitinha (Portugal), Bernardo Silva (Portugal), Min-jae Kim (South Korea), Heung-min Son (South Korea), Federico Valverde (Uruguay), Darwin Nunez (Uruguay)

HomeAwayTime and Date (CST)Venue
UruguaySouth KoreaThurs., Nov. 24, 7:00 AMEducation City Stadium
PortugalGhanaThurs., Nov. 24, 10:00 AMStadium 974
South Korea GhanaMon., Nov. 28, 7:00 AMEducation City Stadium
PortugalUruguayMon., Nov. 28, 1:00 PMLusail Stadium
South KoreaPortugalFri., Dec. 2, 9:00 AMEducation City Stadium
GhanaUruguayFri., Dec. 2, 9:00 AMAl Janoub Stadium

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm going to go against the grain here, but Uruguay and Ghana.

Portugal are a very good team but there are major chemistry issues and I think they spill into their performance on the field. On paper, they are the group favorites so this is just a gut feeling.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is the toughest group. I feel the best about Uruguay. The other spot will go down to who wins the Portugal/Ghana game. Portugal is more talented but I would be worried about them picking the right lineup. Portugal probably gets out of the group because I don’t think the powers that he will want them out that early, but a lot will depend on them finding the right XI

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
This is the toughest group. I feel the best about Uruguay. The other spot will go down to who wins the Portugal/Ghana game. Portugal is more talented but I would be worried about them picking the right lineup. Portugal probably gets out of the group because I don’t think the powers that he will want them out that early, but a lot will depend on them finding the right XI
Uh, sure.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Is Son being used in full this tournament? Is he still dealing with a lingering injury?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Uh, sure.
I mean Ronnie can torpedo them like he torpedoes Utd. Diogo Jota is a big miss. Very talented but don’t like the vibes, but if you look at the bracket; Qatar is really lined up for Argentina vs Portugal final aren’t they?

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I mean Ronnie can torpedo them like he torpedoes Utd. Diogo Jota is a big miss. Very talented but don’t like the vibes, but if you look at the bracket; Qatar is really lined up for Argentina vs Portugal final aren’t they?
Look at the part of your post that I bolded. You said they'll probably make it through because the "powers that be" won't want them out that early.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Look at the part of your post that I bolded. You said they'll probably make it through because the "powers that be" won't want them out that early.
Sure, I stand by that. But that doesn’t mean I don’t think they aren’t good enough on their own either.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Sure, I stand by that. But that doesn’t mean I don’t think they aren’t good enough on their own either.
Ok cool. Why would the "powers that be" want to prevent Portugal from going out early? Because of Ronaldo? How would they prevent that from happening? Where were the "powers that be" the last time Portugal and Ronaldo flopped and went out early? Or any other big team?

I doubt whether or not Portugal gets eliminated early will have anything to do with what the "powers that be" want.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ok cool. Why would the "powers that be" want to prevent Portugal from going out early? Because of Ronaldo? How would they prevent that from happening? Where were the "powers that be" the last time Portugal and Ronaldo flopped and went out early? Or any other big team?

I doubt whether or not Portugal gets eliminated early will have anything to do with what the "powers that be" want.
Because you know Qatar want that Messi vs Ronaldo final. And everything else around this tournament is crooked

You have to remember that Savant thinks everything in soccer is rigged except when Liverpool does well.
Where is the lie though?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Because you know Qatar want that Messi vs Ronaldo final. And everything else around this tournament is crooked

Where is the lie though?
The fun thing about a conspiracy is that it's near impossible to disprove. For example, your most recent conspiracy about Cup draws was disproven (and continued to be so disproved based on City's draws this year), and yet you still blather on about it.

Anyway, I'm not having this conversation because you'll just double down on nothing and it goes nowhere productive.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The fun thing about a conspiracy is that it's near impossible to disprove. For example, your most recent conspiracy about Cup draws was disproven (and continued to be so disproved based on City's draws this year), and yet you still blather on about it.
RB Leipzig in R16….

Also you need to understand the difference between rules and exceptions.

Also my point is that even players of the teams involved think the draws are rigged.

And you can’t tell me this World Cup isn’t crooked to shit already anyway, and that the marquee final isn’t Argentina vs Portugal

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Also my point is that even players of the teams involved think the draws are rigged.
Some players also bet on soccer, what's your point?
RB Leipzig in R16….
Ah, so City has given up their domestic rigging and gone continental.
Also you need to understand the difference between rules and exceptions.
Yes, whenever it happens the way that bolsters your conspiracy, it's a rule and whenever it happens in a way that harms your conspiracy, it's an exception. I think I have it down.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Some players also bet on soccer, what's your point?

Ah, so City has given up their domestic rigging and gone continental.

Yes, whenever it happens the way that bolsters your conspiracy, it's a rule and whenever it happens in a way that harms your conspiracy, it's an exception. I think I have it down.
i thinks it is so funny how much more seriously you take this than me

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
i thinks it is so funny how much more seriously you take this than me
1668742708409.jpeg

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Initially voted for Portugal and Uruguay, but have re-thought and now think Portugal crash and burn. Terrible coaching and CR7 drama. Shame, because if they benched Ronaldo they have the talent to go deep.

Uruguay and Ghana.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
i might have to eat these words and I hope I do. The fact Ronaldo hasn’t played much soccer and was bringing all this drama they should have left him off the team. If he can be a bench player they bring on i think that’s best but to play him full game might not be the best move.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
A

And what did you notice about their lineup?
No Ronaldo and Goncalo Ramos making a strong case he should be ahead of him in the pecking order (and for sure against Andre Silva who was invisible). Also Joao Felix is too phisically weak for this sport, while 18 yo defender from Benfica looked like a seasoned vet out there.

Reactions: gary69 and Savant

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
No Ronaldo and Goncalo Ramos making a strong case he should be ahead of him in the pecking order (and for sure against Andre Silva who was invisible). Also Joao Felix is too phisically weak for this sport, while 18 yo defender from Benfica looked like a seasoned vet out there.
Interesting how this is your takeaway from the game given how he played.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Not making a statement regarding anything else on this post, but damn how impressive Antonio Silva has been as a 19-year old CB this season.

Of course he can still crash and burn, but he reminds me of John Terry, who came an important player for Chelsea by the age of 20 and a club captain at 21 years.

I think Uruguay are just too old by now, Valverde is in great form, but I just don't see them having much success despite that. One of the teams most likely to disappoint, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad