GWT: World Cup - Group G (Brazil and Switzerland Advance)

Who Advances?

• Brazil

Votes: 45 97.8%
  • Switzerland

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Cameroon

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Serbia

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Group G features one of the favorites to take home the title, Brazil, who features remarkable depth throughout their lineup. While some of Tite's selections raised eyebrows in Brazil, the squad is loaded and will likely be one of the more fun teams to watch. The rest of the group brings its own intrigue, as any of the squads could conceivably advance. Cameroon combines youth with experience and is always a threat to surprise. Switzerland looks to have a strong defense and midfield with an attack more than capable of hitting on the counter. Meanwhile, Serbia has a talismanic goal scorer up top and talent throughout their lineup.

Key Players: Neymar (Brazil), Thiago Silva (Brazil), Vincent Aboubakar (Cameroon), Andre-Frank Anguissa (Cameroon), Aleksandar Mitrovic (Serbia), Dusan Tadic (Serbia), Granit Xhaka (Switzerland), Manuel Akanji (Switzerland)

HomeAwayTime and Date (CST)Venue
SwitzerlandCameroonThurs., Nov. 24, 4:00 AMAl Janoub Stadium
BrazilSerbiaThurs., Nov. 24, 1:00 PMLusail Stadium
CameroonSerbiaMon., Nov. 28, 4:00 AMAl Janoub Stadium
BrazilSwitzerlandMon., Nov. 28, 10:00 AMStadium 974
CameroonBrazilFri., Dec. 2, 1:00 PMLusail Stadium
SerbiaSwitzerlandFri., Dec. 2, 1:00 PMStadium 974

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Brazil and Serbia.

Brazil clear #1 and it's really close between Serbia and Switzerland, but I think Serbia will grab second. Real tough choice.

Reactions: al secord

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Brazil and Switzerland I think, but Serbia is very interesting on paper...I just have no clue if they actually play up to their talent or if this is yet another serbian team that is less than the sum of its parts.

The Swiss could get in trouble because they might have a tough time creating against Serbia and Cameroon...but I also won't be shocked if they get a result against Brazil.

They are very deep in the midfield...with Jashari & Reider likely to earn themselves bigger moves if they see the pitch at this tourney...they're also strong in goal, the CBs are coming into this tourney in strong form, and both Embolo & Okafor are having strong club seasons.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Brazil is obvious. I like Serbia, but Switzerland always finds a way. It’ll be Brazil and the Swiss

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I had the Swiss edging out Serbia in the last WC. This year I'm giving the edge to Serbia for second in the group.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've learned never to bet against the Swiss making it out of the group stage at tournaments.

And this is one of the stronger swiss teams. Akanji & Elvedi are in good form, as are Embolo & Okafor, they've got even more midfield depth than usual...and even if Sommer is out, Kobel is an excellent stand-in.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Serbia with a good offensive practice match destroying Bahrain. With Mitrovic out because of injury it was Tadic and Vlahovic leading the onslaught.

On their best day, Serbia certainly means trouble for any team, but I still don't believe they're disciplined or organized enough as a team to go far. It's not for lack of talent, it's just that they're less than the sum of their individual parts.

Hopefully the last group match between the Swiss and Serbia will be a great one on deciding who goes through.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Serbia with a good offensive practice match destroying Bahrain. With Mitrovic out because of injury it was Tadic and Vlahovic leading the onslaught.

On their best day, Serbia certainly means trouble for any team, but I still don't believe they're disciplined or organized enough as a team to go far. It's not for lack of talent, it's just that they're less than the sum of their individual parts.

Hopefully the last group match between the Swiss and Serbia will be a great one on deciding who goes through.
Yea that's my thing too, they've always had really talented teams and haven't done anything with them. Their back line is also lesser than the rest of their team. In a group where two of the teams have really fast attackers it seems like that matters a lot. It's also easy to write Cameroon off as free points because of how they've played in the WC the last few times but this is a different team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. Brazil
2. Switzerland
3. Serbia
4. Cameroon

Tough group, but I think this is an easy group to pick in the order they’ll finish.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s better at stopping pens…but no he’s not an upgrade overall. Sommer is much better with the ball.

Sadly he’s not that great at the pens either. Dortmund will never have a great pens GK. He’s just not the pens atrocity that Buerki was. I don’t think Buerki stopped one pen his whole time at the club.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sadly he’s not that great at the pens either. Dortmund will never have a great pens GK. He’s just not the pens atrocity that Buerki was. I don’t think Buerki stopped one pen his whole time at the club.

Pretty sure Sommer's first stopped penalty for switzerland was at the last euros

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Cameroon have no midfield, play like an old school English lower league team but they have some pace and caught the Swiss out a few times in the early goings

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Tite going with a very offensive team
FiWL05zXgAIlfnG

Reactions: gary69 and Gecklund

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Might be biased but seriously what has Raphinha and Richarlison done to start over Martinelli and Jesus?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00