GWT: World Cup - Group F (Morocco and Croatia Advance)

Who Advances?

• Belgium

Votes: 72 69.2%
  • Croatia

Votes: 70 67.3%
  • Morocco

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • Canada

Votes: 33 31.7%

• Total voters

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Which tourney should they have won? I don't think they were ever better than us in the early days, or france in the later ones :dunno:
2014 was too early, 2020 was too late. They needed to win either of Euro 2016 or WC 2018.

Euro 2016 they go out in hilarious fashion against Wales.

WC 2018 they lose to a corner kick in the semis. They had both the best player (Hazard) and best keeper (Courtois) at that tournament. They lost to France on a fine margin, and prob would've beaten Croatia in the final.

Reactions: gary69

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
They didn't have too though, their kids are gifted. They just jogi'd themselves and didn't bother integrating that new blood.
That pretty much always happens. It's a thin and not always clear line between "You need experience to do well at a tournament" and "You're too old".

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
That Lukaku miss where he tries to chest the ball about 2 yards out from an open goal was incredible

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
2014 was too early, 2020 was too late. They needed to win either of Euro 2016 or WC 2018.

Euro 2016 they go out in hilarious fashion against Wales.

WC 2018 they lose to a corner kick in the semis. They had both the best player (Hazard) and best keeper (Courtois) at that tournament. They lost to France on a fine margin, and prob would've beaten Croatia in the final.

They weren't the best team at either of those tourneys though, so you can't blame them for not winning :dunno:

Jogi can be blamed for not winning in 2016, but not Martinez...he can be blamed for how they went out, but not for failing to win.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Well done to Morocco. Deserved to win the group. Defensively very sound and well organized. They will be a tough out in the round of 16 regardless of opponent.

Happy that Croatia has pushed through but easily could have lost. Think the ref got it wrong on the review, it was a pk.

Going to be very difficult to progress beyond the round of 16 if they matchup versus Spain. But, in a one off, you never know.

Canada, well done but outclassed in the end. There were some positives to take away from the tournament working toward 2026.

Belgium shocked they are out and the “Golden Generation” has nothing to show for it. Thank the baby Jesus, Lukaku was rusty/not in form.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That pretty much always happens. It's a thin and not always clear line between "You need experience to do well at a tournament" and "You're too old".

Yeah, but it's not a case where their population size prevented them from developing new blood so growing old was inevitable. They chose this.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yeah, but it's not a case where their population size prevented them from developing new blood so growing old was inevitable. They chose this.
I think it's a mix. As good as their youngsters may be, I would be shocked if any of them turned out as good as peak KdB or Hazard.

Reactions: gary69

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
This right there.

The reason why smaller nations can compete in senior football, but not in U-21 (most of the time) is because we don't have enough talent in gaps of 2-3 years.

But you don't need that in senior football. We have Modric at 37 and Gvardiol at 20.
Belgium has SO MANY quality young players, but chose to play the old guys. It was their choice.
We moved on from Mandzukic, Rakitic, Vrsaljko, etc... The stuck with Toby, Jan, Hazard, Mertens, etc.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think it's a mix. As good as their youngsters may be, I would be shocked if any of them turned out as good as peak KdB or Hazard.

While that may or may not be true, they didn't need to peak as high as KdB or Hazard to supplement them by replacing the Vertonghen's & Witsel's of their core, who aged out of usefulness.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
They weren't the best team at either of those tourneys though, so you can't blame them for not winning :dunno:

Jogi can be blamed for not winning in 2016, but not Martinez...he can be blamed for how they went out, but not for failing to win.
Eh, they were second best at 2018 by a thin margin, IMO. That semi was tight as hell, IIRC. If Belgium slip by France and then beat Croatia, no one would've said "the best team didn't win this tournament."

Martinez wasn't their coach in 2016, ya goof! Still Wilmots at that point.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
LOL cry more. They came into this match on like a 7-8 clean sheet streak. They sputtered in the second-half and demolished Canada in the first. Their defense and (usually) Bono are first-rate players.
Bono seems horrible. He’ll cost them, I think. I don’t think their defense has really been challenged yet - we’ll see. They have some nice players.

Do we know who they play R16 yet?

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
While that may or may not be true, they didn't need to peak as high as KdB or Hazard to supplement them by replacing the Vertonghen's & Witsel's of their core, who aged out of usefulness.
It is STAGGERING that Vertonghen is still a Belgium starter. But, then again, Van Buyten was a starter in 2014 lol

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Eh, they were second best at 2018 by a thin margin, IMO. That semi was tight as hell, IIRC. If Belgium slip by France and then beat Croatia, no one would've said "the best team didn't win this tournament."

Martinez wasn't their coach in 2016, ya goof! Still Wilmots at that point.

Unless they just stomped France, then yes I would have :dunno:

wow I totally forgot that Martinez was an upgrade for them, but I guess we had Klinsi before Jogi :laugh:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Bono seems horrible. He’ll cost them, I think. I don’t think their defense has really been challenged yet - we’ll see. They have some nice players.

Do we know who they play R16 yet?

Bono had a tough game (though who knows if he's still suffering from whatever ailed him before the Belgium match...if he is, he shouldn't play) but his star has gone up in recent years. He was incredible during that Europa League triumph for Seville and by and large has been great in the last couple of years, cementing himself as Seville's starter in strong La Liga campaigns. I know they've been terrible this year but have watched little La Liga. He's been extremely strong for Morocco lately though, as they haven't been conceding at all. This is their first goal in about 8 games and it was an own goal.

As for their R16 matchup, we'll know later today. If Japan gets a result, I think it's them. If not, Germany seems likely unless they choke against Costa Rica.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Gonna let this sink in a bit before I react, but Martinez just announced he won't continue as manager. So, some silver lining there.
I have an awful feeling he winds up on USA or gets another big club job

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That forty-five minutes of Lukaku was one of the most hilarious performances I think I have ever witnessed in this sport. That was Bebe-level bad by him lol, I could not stop laughing watching a player get in all the right positions and yet fail so horribly every single chance he got.

Sorry, @Savi I feel the pain mate when you have one of the best generations in fifty years and the wanks at the top can't even make a good decision like who should be the manager. Leaving Doku on the bench for this tournament when he did more in that fifteen minutes than the majority of those starters did in three matches is embarrassing for Martinez. Having one of the best players in the world and not getting anything out of him is just atrocious tactically speaking.

There has been a lot of talk about underperforming teams, but there has been no greater nation than Belgium at not getting any decent results these past eight to ten years.

I feel ya, but that's not nothing...Jogi insisted on "redeeming himself" after 2018 *sigh*
Make Deutschland football great again, 2026.
d8bdfad3-6391-4069-a923-92bdd9f4071d.png

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
That forty-five minutes of Lukaku was one of the most hilarious performances I think I have ever witnessed in this sport. That was Bebe-level bad by him lol, I could not stop laughing watching a player get in all the right positions and yet fail so horribly every single chance he got.

Sorry, @Savi I feel the pain mate when you have one of the best generations in fifty years and the wanks at the top can't even make a good decision like who should be the manager. Leaving Doku on the bench for this tournament when he did more in that fifteen minutes than the majority of those starters did in three matches is embarrassing for Martinez. Having one of the best players in the world and not getting anything out of him is just atrocious tactically speaking.

There has been a lot of talk about underperforming teams, but there has been no greater nation than Belgium at not getting any decent results these past eight to ten years.

Lukaku also screwed up multiple scoring chances against Italy at the Euro's. It's mystifying as to how such a good player can completely bottle it at tournaments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad