GWT: World Cup - Group F (Morocco and Croatia Advance)

Who Advances?

• Belgium

Votes: 72 69.2%
  • Croatia

Votes: 70 67.3%
  • Morocco

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • Canada

Votes: 33 31.7%

• Total voters

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Another group sure to intrigue many of the members of this board, Group F features Canada, making its first World Cup appearance since 1986 and seeking out its first win on this stage. Canada's success may hinge on the health of its star player Alphonso Davies, who was hurt in the month leading up to the World Cup. In order to advance, Canada will have to get past some stiff competition, including last World Cup's runner-up, Croatia. Croatia has added some new young talent to its squad but retains strong veteran presences throughout the pitch. Belgium, meanwhile, features perhaps the best midfielder in the game today and is looking to capitalize on a golden generation that has disappointed compared to their hype. Morocco features one of the better African squads and will look to advance as well.

Key Players: Alphonso Davies (Canada), Jonathan David (Canada), Luka Modric (Croatia), Ivan Perisic (Croatia), Achraf Hakimi (Morocco), Hakim Ziyech (Morocco), Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium), Thibault Courtois (Belgium)

HomeAwayTime and Date (CST)Venue
MoroccoCroatiaWed., Nov. 23, 4:00 AMAl Bayt Stadium
BelgiumCanadaWed., Nov. 23, 1:00 PMAhmad Bin Ali Stadium
Belgium MoroccoSun., Nov. 27, 7:00 AMAl Thumama Stadium
CroatiaCanadaSun., Nov. 27, 10:00 AMKhalifa International Stadium
CanadaMoroccoThurs., Dec. 1, 9:00 AMAl Thumama Stadium
CroatiaBelgiumThurs., Dec. 1, 9:00 AMAhmad Bin Ali Stadium

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Voting with my heart here, but Belgium and Canada.

Canada is a big wildcard right now. I don't think even our own fans know what to expect when we hit the big stage and face nations outside of CONCACAF.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Picked Belgium and Croatia.

I've had many fantasies about scenarios where Canada advances. If Canada somehow ekes out a draw against Belgium in the first match, then I rescind my vote, lol

I think it will take multiple "moments of individual brilliance" for Canada to advance. By that I mean they get outplayed, but Borjan makes some ridiculous saves and then some combination of Davies, David, and Buchanan catches the other team off guard and pops in a goal or two against the run of play.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Picked Belgium and Croatia.

I've had many fantasies about scenarios where Canada advances. If Canada somehow ekes out a draw against Belgium in the first match, then I rescind my vote, lol

I think it will take multiple "moments of individual brilliance" for Canada to advance. By that I mean they get outplayed, but Borjan makes some ridiculous saves and then some combination of Davies, David, and Buchanan catches the other team off guard and pops in a goal or two against the run of play.
Ya, i picked with my head and not my heart on this one. I'm not confident, but hopeful.

We give up way too many plum chances against teams who aren't close to the level of Belgium and Croatia. And they will most certainly punish us. I think Croatia will win the group and reach the semis.

We were unfortunate with the group we got, but hopefully the boys give 'em hell. If this team showed us anything it's that they are fearless.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Picked Belgium and Croatia, as much as I'd love to see Canada advance.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Canada and Croatia for me.

I just think Belgium's backline is the easiest to exploit out of the top two European teams and that makes them an easier target for Canada to get a result against.

Reactions: Tuggy

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If Canada is healthy I like them and Croatia to make it out

Reactions: Tuggy

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Canada will likely finish fourth, but there's also an outside chance that Davies and David run rampant against a very old Belgian defense and KdB isn't enough to save them.

Morocco are also overall better than Canada, FWIW.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
This is more wide open than people think. So many of the experts just gloss over the fact that they're overrating many European league players. Look at the number of leagues, teams, players. Don't tell me the bottom half has a major gap with non-Euro league players. Talent level is clearly diluted at that point.

Canada is strong up front, mediocre to weak on the back end. Davies & David are top end players, the latter could easily get big in EPL. Experience matters though and a lot of the opposition play conservative and wait for mistakes.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
TBF they do seem to be weaker on paper than last cycle...though they're still probably stronger than Canada.
They're my main candidate for surprise team. Strongest defence in the group and I can see Croatia doing another of their first-round flops.

Reactions: gary69

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Did anyone else besides Belgium lose their warmup game?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Other than Canada dominating world beaters Japan, you can't really look into warm-up games as any indication of future success.
I mean I’m shorting Belgium either way. Maybe it matters, maybe it doesn’t but I don’t know anyone else who lost to a team that didn’t qualify

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean I’m shorting Belgium either way. Maybe it matters, maybe it doesn’t but I don’t know anyone else who lost to a team that didn’t qualify

I'm not high on them either. Just saying never overreact to pre-tourney friendlies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. Croatia
2. Belgium
3. Morocco
4. Canada

These games are going to be hard fought. I think Croatia will beat Belgium to first. Morocco are pretenders. A lot of good players, but not a good team. Canada already has injuries to some of their best players and they don’t have depth.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Morocco is being totally ignored. To be expected.

It's a tough group.

I think Canada will be last.

The off feild clown show has halted the feel good vibes Canada had during qualification. I'm also interested to see Davies and eustaquio's form since they are two of Canada's most important players.

Davies has missed some time, and eustaquio was being "assessed" before their recent friendly against Japan.

They don't have the tools to overcome these guys not being in top from right from the opening kickoff in a group like this.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
It's a tough group.

I think Canada will be last.

The off feild clown show has halted the feel good vibes Canada had during qualification. I'm also interested to see Davies and eustaquio's form since they are two of Canada's most important players.

Davies has missed some time, and eustaquio was being "assessed" before their recent friendly against Japan.

They don't have the tools to overcome these guys not being in top from right from the opening kickoff in a group like this.
Ya, I think generally speaking, most people would have the Morocco/Canada match being meaningless because of how tough the other 2 teams are. No one is overlooking Morocco (at this point, they're probably the best African nation at the tournament) and rightfully ranked 3rd in our group.

If things go the way they should, Canada and Morocco will be playing for pride. But if one or both teams can pull off an upset in the first 2 games, it should make for a great final group day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad