GWT: World Cup - Group F (Morocco and Croatia Advance)

Who Advances?

• Belgium

Votes: 72 69.2%
  • Croatia

Votes: 70 67.3%
  • Morocco

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • Canada

Votes: 33 31.7%

• Total voters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You aren’t exactly going out on a limb here, but they are no worse than Japan or Costa Rica, and Germany has not been impressive. They have a better chance than Croatia has against Spain

I have yet to see an xG of the Germany-Spain match that didn't have us ahead by .5 or more, but sure. We could f*** it all up today.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I tuned it late, and boy did I laugh at Lukaku... Wow.
He missed two gimme goals (one hit the post to be fair).
The last miss was for the ages.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
A good number had them coming out of the group, they definitely weren't expected to LOSE (not even a draw) all three. The only other team that managed to do that was Qatar. It was a bad showing for sure.
"A good number" of who? MLS fans who don't follow good leagues or something?

They did how they were expected to do by any reasonable measure. They should have got a result against Belgium but fell short, otherwise they were fortunate to even be competitive.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They should have done better with the talent level they have had. They underperformed at multiple tournaments and didn't get the best they could have out of what they had due to terrible management.

Which tourney should they have won? I don't think they were ever better than us in the early days, or france in the later ones :dunno:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

They did how they were expected to do by any reasonable measure. They should have got a result against Belgium but fell short, otherwise they were fortunate to even be competitive.
I love when people who never post here come here because of a big event and talk out their ass. It’s pretty funny

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

3 defeats is not the expectation by any reasonable measure.

I didn't say most had them coming out, but they did well in Qualifying so there was expectation.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I tuned it late, and boy did I laugh at Lukaku... Wow.
He missed two gimme goals (one hit the post to be fair).
The last miss was for the ages.
I’m not a professional footballer but really seems like he could have leant down to head it and just didn’t for some reason.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty stunning early exit for Belgium, no? Been a fan of this generation but, this seems to be par for the course for these European sides when they get just a bit too old

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
The golden generation thing is dumb anyways, Belgium had a MUCH better team than this in the 80's.
Than this? Maybe. Than 2016-18? Not even close.

Anyway, felt sorry for Lukaku (but not really). Man missed about 3 99% chances.

Gvardiol continues to do his Beckenbauer/Maldini hybrid impersonation.

Reactions: gary69

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
3 defeats is not the expectation by any reasonable measure.

I didn't say most had them coming out, but they did well in Qualifying so there was expectation.
They were expected to finish last in this group and would have been lucky to get a draw out of it. So yes, 3 defeats was a reasonable expectation for the 4th ranked team in a tough group.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Pretty stunning early exit for Belgium, no? Been a fan of this generation but, this seems to be par for the course for these European sides when they get just a bit too old

The problem isn't just that they got old, it's that they got old and didn't bother rejuvenating the team with their impressive youngstars...as Belgium's youth teams are still impressive, they just didn't integrate those kids enough and stuck with their oldies.

Martinez' Belgium truly was just a poor man's version of Jogi's Germany.

Reactions: GKJ

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The problem with a "Golden Generation" for a small nation like Belgium is that you're totally relying on that core group to play at a top level consistently. And if their form is down, you still play them, if they get old, they still play. And obviously it's not just KdB or Lukaku. Look at how much mileage they got out of guys like Vertonghen, Alderweireld or Witsel who are not at that high a level.

Meanwhile a Spain, France or Brazil has a couple of down years (relatively speaking) and then their side is full of new 20 year olds with stunning talent.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The problem with a "Golden Generation" for a small nation like Belgium is that you're totally relying on that core group to play at a top level consistently. And if their form is down, you still play them, if they get old, they still play. And obviously it's not just KdB or Lukaku. Look at how much mileage they got out of guys like Vertonghen, Alderweireld or Witsel who are not at that high a level.

Meanwhile a Spain, France or Brazil has a couple of down years (relatively speaking) and then their side is full of new 20 year olds with stunning talent.

They didn't have too though, their kids are gifted. They just jogi'd themselves and didn't bother integrating that new blood.

Reactions: Blender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad