World Cup Discussion

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Tampa Bay to have 12 players at World Cup

Jonathan Drouin and Ryan Callahan were added today to the Team North America and Team USA respectively.

Players at World Cup 2016:
Steven Stamkos - Canada
Victor Hedman - Sweden
Anton Strålman - Sweden
Nikita Kucherov – Russia
Vladislav Namestnikov - Russia
Andrei Vasilevskiy – Russia
Ben Bishop - USA
Ryan Callahan - USA
Ondrej Palat – Czech Republic
Andrej Sustr - Czech Republic
Valtteri Filppula – Finland
Jonathan Drouin - Team North America

Pretty impressive number of guys.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Happy for Cally, the respect is still there around the league for him, wish Johnson was also added.

Also happy to see Cally, Dubinsky, and Stepan re-unite.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
What is the deal with this? Can they turn down the selection? Does that basically remove them from future tournaments for country? Amazing how half our roster will have played 17 extra games ALREADY this year and now this. Sorry but I'd rather win a cup and as an American, the Olympics is the only time I tune in for medals, not this or WJC or Worlds.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What is the deal with this? Can they turn down the selection? Does that basically remove them from future tournaments for country? Amazing how half our roster will have played 17 extra games ALREADY this year and now this. Sorry but I'd rather win a cup and as an American, the Olympics is the only time I tune in for medals, not this or WJC or Worlds.

And this is what's wrong with America, we lack the pride to appreciate every time the team puts on the sweater. We only care about the big events.

Ovechkin will put on a Russian jersey every time he's asked no matter the tournament because he's proud of his country, even after a tough playoffs. The US had to ice and entire line of college kids in the Worlds when there had to be plenty of available NHLers.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
That's what I was going to say. You can expect many to turn down the selection, but not the Russians.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
And this is what's wrong with America, we lack the pride to appreciate every time the team puts on the sweater. We only care about the big events.

Ovechkin will put on a Russian jersey every time he's asked no matter the tournament because he's proud of his country, even after a tough playoffs. The US had to ice and entire line of college kids in the Worlds when there had to be plenty of available NHLers.
You don't have to sound like a pompous ass if you're implying things you simply shouldnt. WJC is something I've never been interested in, world's isn't something I'm catching when I'm on a job site at 2pm or watching in the evening on replay during the playoffs so that leaves me with the Olympics which is the most prestigious.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You don't have to sound like a pompous ass if you're implying things you simply shouldnt. WJC is something I've never been interested in, world's isn't something I'm catching when I'm on a job site at 2pm or watching in the evening on replay during the playoffs so that leaves me with the Olympics which is the most prestigious.

I'm not being pompous, you're just ignoring other significant tournaments because they aren't the Olympics. The world championships were around before the Olympics and are a much bigger tournament than the Olympics as they have 4 divisions of teams throughout the world. The Olympics should be for amateurs like it is for most other events and happens in the middle of the NHL season, two things I don't like about it. The world juniors is more for those who like prospects so i understand not liking that one as much.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I'm not being pompous, you're just ignoring other significant tournaments because they aren't the Olympics. The world championships were around before the Olympics and are a much bigger tournament than the Olympics as they have 4 divisions of teams throughout the world. The Olympics should be for amateurs like it is for most other events and happens in the middle of the NHL season, two things I don't like about it. The world juniors is more for those who like prospects so i understand not liking that one as much.
Have you been a member of usa hockey? If so, for how long?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Have you been a member of usa hockey? If so, for how long?

My whole life, came out of the womb waiving the stars and stripes.

What are you referring to by that? The USA hockey you have to pay each season you want to play any organized hockey? Or something different?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The NHL didn't really make this a serious tournament with "Team Europe" and team "Team North America." I would not be surprised to see some players choose not to participate.

I'm sure Team Europe is going to show a lot of national pride playing with an assemblage of players who's countries are not well represented in the NHL. And when the US or Canada plays Team North America, it's going to be pretty silly.

The NHL really dropped the ball. I thought they wanted to make an alternative to the Olympics, but instead it became another NHL event.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Was for a long time but didn't play any hockey the past two years so didn't pay. Why?

See "this is the problem in America..."

So you judge me based on what tournament I watch and label it as the problem with Americans. You think you're in the clear cause you watch an extra tournament than me, yet not even a member of USAH, I'm surprised an American as prideful as you arent a member. Next time don't spout off about somebody's pride in their country based on what tournament they watch.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
See "this is the problem in America..."

So you judge me based on what tournament I watch and label it as the problem with Americans. You think you're in the clear cause you watch an extra tournament than me, yet not even a member of USAH, I'm surprised an American as prideful as you arent a member. Next time don't spout off about somebody's pride in their country based on what tournament they watch.

Yes the problem in America is people not paying membership fees for things they don't use. I'm going to go out and get me a Costco card tomorrow as well as that USAH membership so I can be more American.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Yes the problem in America is people not paying membership fees for things they don't use. I'm going to go out and get me a Costco card tomorrow as well as that USAH membership so I can be more American.

Just saying, if you're holding a standard as to what tournament you watch makes you part of the problem or not, while not even being a member of USAH, gasp!, then I think you should tone it down with the self righteousness of who is and isn't a fan because of what tournaments they watch.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Just saying, if you're holding a standard as to what tournament you watch makes you part of the problem or not, while not even being a member of USAH, gasp!, then I think you should tone it down with the self righteousness of who is and isn't a fan because of what tournaments they watch.

I never said anything about you not being a fan because you don't watch other tournaments. I said it's a common theme amongst Americans to only show support for the big events. The World Cup comes around and everyone's a soccer fan, the Olympics turns everyone into a fan of swimming, gymnastics and figure skating.

I'm not suggesting you fly to Helsinki and watch the games live. If you're a fan of hockey and like American players you can easily record a game and watch it, they play like every 4 days so it's not an everyday burden. I was a USAH memeber for a long time, with my playing days pretty much over there's no need to keep my membership going.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Sure, then good luck playing for the Olympic team if you do. This is the biggest international event under the Olympics, no player is turning this down unless injured.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I never said anything about you not being a fan because you don't watch other tournaments. I said it's a common theme amongst Americans to only show support for the big events. The World Cup comes around and everyone's a soccer fan, the Olympics turns everyone into a fan of swimming, gymnastics and figure skating.

I'm not suggesting you fly to Helsinki and watch the games live. If you're a fan of hockey and like American players you can easily record a game and watch it, they play like every 4 days so it's not an everyday burden. I was a USAH memeber for a long time, with my playing days pretty much over there's no need to keep my membership going.

You could make that case for the World Championship and the U20 tournament but the NHL's World Cup is not a true international tournament.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You could make that case for the World Championship and the U20 tournament but the NHL's World Cup is not a true international tournament.

No one cares about the WC - and the U20 sucks because most of the true best U20 players are busy in the NHL.

This is going to have the best players in the world. It matters way more than the other ones.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Ok that's what I was asking. Not sure if this was going to be coveted or like world's they'd turn it down. Thanks.

I don't know if the players themselves are directly getting paid, but the proceeds for this are going to HRR for cap purposes. That - if nothing else - should help players want to participate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad