World Cup Boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
No, I would still object to non-national teams being in a supposedly international tournament. It would be slightly better though, since then at least the Canadian and American teams would be legitimaute national teams.
hmm they should just change the name of the tournament.

I really don't mind the extra teams because they should both be somewhat competitive. As fun as it is watching team canada play against the weaker countries I prefer the 2 teams that could actually have a chance to win.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
hmm they should just change the name of the tournament.

I really don't mind the extra teams because they should both be somewhat competitive. As fun as it is watching team canada play against the weaker countries I prefer the 2 teams that could actually have a chance to win.

"NHL All-Stars..."... no, wait, that's taken already, right?

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Money talks? Really? That is not ground-breaking news.

You missed second part of this sentence. I just tried to identify the message of previous post. I dont know what are your arguments. But this tourney looks closer to Sprengler cup. Nothing against it, but Sprengler is hockey show, not a serious int. competition. i.e. not a venue where should be decided who is the best one.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You missed second part of this sentence. I just tried to identify the message of previous post. I dont know what are your arguments. But this tourney looks closer to Sprengler cup. Nothing against it, but Sprengler is hockey show, not a serious int. competition. i.e. not a venue where should be decided who is the best one.

Everyone knows Canada is the best anyway. One tournament isn't going to change that simple fact no matter what the tournament it or who wins it.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Not even close to the Spengler Cup. I'll agree this tourney is meaningless as it is set up now to determine who is the best, but it is not the Spengler Cup.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Not even close to the Spengler Cup. I'll agree this tourney is meaningless as it is set up now to determine who is the best, but it is not the Spengler Cup.

Agree, can't compare this plastic-coated garbage with the oldest hockey tournament in the world.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agree, can't compare this plastic-coated garbage with the oldest hockey tournament in the world.

I find it strange that several posters seem to feel that the quality of the players is less important than what the tournament is called, how long it has been in existence etc. So far it seems like everyone that feels this way is in Europe. Not sure what that means, just an observation.

By this logic, the 1976 Canada Cup wasn't worth watching, after all it was "plastic/coated" garbage with no history, certainly couldn't stack up to the Spengler Cup, the WHC, the Olympics etc. Then again, I watched it, thought it was great and I'd say it was the greatest hockey tournament ever played up to that point. Then again, another poster has said that the Canada Cup was poor hockey, around the level of an all-star game. Then again, that poster didn't watch the tournament, I guess some people are so confident in their superior knowledge that they can act as authorities on subjects they know nothing about. Oh well, to each his own I guess. :laugh:

The World Cup is basically a continuation of the Canada Cup. I don't think it'll ever be as dramatic as it was after all, there's no more mystery as there is no more iron curtain etc. and the worlds best players play together in the NHL. Still, the Canada/World Cup has always been hockey at a very high level, I suspect it will be again this time around. But hey, if some people will ignore because it doesn't quite stack up to the Spengler Cup, that doesn't bother me at all.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I find it strange that several posters seem to feel that the quality of the players is less important than what the tournament is called, how long it has been in existence etc. So far it seems like everyone that feels this way is in Europe. Not sure what that means, just an observation.

By this logic, the 1976 Canada Cup wasn't worth watching, after all it was "plastic/coated" garbage with no history, certainly couldn't stack up to the Spengler Cup, the WHC, the Olympics etc. Then again, I watched it, thought it was great and I'd say it was the greatest hockey tournament ever played up to that point. Then again, another poster has said that the Canada Cup was poor hockey, around the level of an all-star game. Then again, that poster didn't watch the tournament, I guess some people are so confident in their superior knowledge that they can act as authorities on subjects they know nothing about. Oh well, to each his own I guess. :laugh:

The World Cup is basically a continuation of the Canada Cup. I don't think it'll ever be as dramatic as it was after all, there's no more mystery as there is no more iron curtain etc. and the worlds best players play together in the NHL. Still, the Canada/World Cup has always been hockey at a very high level, I suspect it will be again this time around. But hey, if some people will ignore because it doesn't quite stack up to the Spengler Cup, that doesn't bother me at all.

The 1976 Canada Cup was the greatest international hockey tournament to that point - this is a completely different issue. This tournament is not an actual international tournament, as four of the eight teams are non-national teams. The 1976 Canada Cup helped to usher in the era of best on best hockey. This 2016 World Cup is being used to remove the NHL from the Olympics, and thus reduce the amount of best on best hockey. That is the main issue.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The 1976 Canada Cup was the greatest international hockey tournament to that point - this is a completely different issue. This tournament is not an actual international tournament, as four of the eight teams are non-national teams. The 1976 Canada Cup helped to usher in the era of best on best hockey. This 2016 World Cup is being used to remove the NHL from the Olympics, and thus reduce the amount of best on best hockey. That is the main issue.

Well that's another issue altogether. The post I was responding to was talking about the Spengler Cup. :help:

I get it, many people don't like these non-national teams, not sure I like them either ( I keep going back and forth on this TBH). It should still be great hockey though, if not technically best on best than it should be pretty damn close to it.

Another point - It's not that the NHL won't be going to the Olmpics because of the World Cup. It may be that the World Cup is happening because the NHL isn't going to the Olympics but if so, that's a completely different thing.

If NHL players won't be in the Olympics and the choice is between having a World Cup or no World Cup, I choose World Cup. I understand if some people are bitter about it and won't watch, their choice and I respect that. Maybe if the IOC wasn't such a bunch of arrogant self-entitled ego-maniacs they'd cough up the 10m as they have done in the past and everyone would be happy. Maybe it will still be worked out, we'll see.

What if for the next World Cup, 8 national teams take part. Would that make you less upset?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well that's another issue altogether. The post I was responding to was talking about the Spengler Cup. :help:

I get it, many people don't like these non-national teams, not sure I like them either ( I keep going back and forth on this TBH). It should still be great hockey though, if not technically best on best than it should be pretty damn close to it.

The reason that people compare it to the Spengler Cup is because there is an idiotic mixture of national and non-national teams. I doubt that anyone legitimately thinks that the level of hockey will be at that level.

Another point - It's not that the NHL won't be going to the Olmpics because of the World Cup. It may be that the World Cup is happening because the NHL isn't going to the Olympics but if so, that's a completely different thing.

The NHL, via Bill Daly, literally did say that if this tournament is successful, there is no reason to continue NHL participation in the Olympics. With the IOC' recent decision it may be that the NHL doesn't go to the Olympics regardless, but we already have Daly directly stating that the success of this tournament reduces the chances of NHLers at the Olympics.

If NHL players won't be in the Olympics and the choice is between having a World Cup or no World Cup, I choose World Cup. I understand if some people are bitter about it and won't watch, their choice and I respect that. Maybe if the IOC wasn't such a bunch of arrogant self-entitled ego-maniacs they'd cough up the 10m as they have done in the past and everyone would be happy. Maybe it will still be worked out, we'll see.

What if for the next World Cup, 8 national teams take part. Would that make you less upset?[/QUOTE]

I would be fine with a legitimate international World Cup. The Canada/World Cup tournaments before were great. It's also laughable when people complain about the NHL being "corrupt" and then support the IOC run Olympics. The issue is the NHL creating a tournament with gimmicks that ruin what could otherwise be a great tournament, and then using that very flawed tournament to reduce the amount of best on best tournaments.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I know next to nothing about the format of this tournament atm, but I don't understand the offense being taken because a couple of the teams are using a region larger than a singular country to help add talented players to the tournament. What's the big deal?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The Spengler Cup is a nice little tournament that no-one would mistake for an all-too serious affair. It's pretty good entertainment during the Christmas holidays, but it doesn't pretend to be a European club championship. The 2016 World Cup is something of a much bigger and much better Spengler Cup, but it pretends to be more than just that: it pretends to be an international best-on-best tournament. That's the sickening part. In reality it's neither international in the proper sense of the word nor strictly best-on-best. It's a lie born out of the ignorance of the NHL.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Look, I understand peoples frustration about this "world Cup" and I do not agree with the format either but some of the hatred is going to too far when folks start to say it is even lower then the Spengler cup.

I like the Spengler and watch it every year and it does have a great history but it's a few European club teams against a pseudo Canadian national team( a gimmick of the likes these folks are railing about and won't let go of with the new world cup format)

The level of players and hockey will be so much higher at the world cup then at the spengler, at least it has that going for it. Even the 2 dumb make believe teams blow the Spengler cup participants out of the water so to just rage with so much blind hate and say it is below the spengler cup is going far overboard.

Disagree with it as a NHL cash grab event all you want, but cmon, have some reasonableness.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Look, I understand peoples frustration about this "world Cup" and I do not agree with the format either but some of the hatred is going to too far when folks start to say it is even lower then the Spengler cup.

I like the Spengler and watch it every year and it does have a great history but it's a few European club teams against a pseudo Canadian national team( a gimmick of the likes these folks are railing about and won't let go of with the new world cup format)

The level of players and hockey will be so much higher at the world cup then at the spengler, at least it has that going for it. Even the 2 dumb make believe teams blow the Spengler cup participants out of the water so to just rage with so much blind hate and say it is below the spengler cup is going far overboard.

Disagree with it as a NHL cash grab event all you want, but cmon, have some reasonableness.

The quality of hockey will obviously be better. But winning it is about as meaningful as the Spengler cup.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

I specifally meant just a concept of the tourney. There are some similarities, it's invitational, some teams used to have additions from other teams to be stronger so it was not always their original line up and there is always this team Canada. Nothing agains it, it's a traditional great show. Its mostly for Davos fans and it is broadcasted. But it has its own specific role in hockey tournaments.

I would even respect WC even if they invite Toronto Maple Leafs with 5 added players and advertise it as a great hockey show for Toronto fan base. But when they introduce it as a possible replacement of the biggest hockey tournament in the world, that's where my complaints start...

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Just to clarify it, I was talking just about concept of the tourney and compare Spengler and WC concept, not a importance or hockey quality. Spengler is a great tournament and it's not that easy for league club to win it.;)

Last edited:

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I'm not sure a boycott is even necessary.

I work in Toronto, directly across the street from ACC.

There is absolutely NO buzz about this stupid tournament.

Not a single colleague has even mentioned it. Our company who purchased a number of "books" of tickets for the last WJC isn't buying anything for this tournament.

I truly believe the arenas will be VERY empty.

That includes the hundreds (likely thousands) of tickets that will be given to minor hockey teams, etc, for free, just to get seats filled.

I hope Bettman pays close attention to the flop of the stupidest idea in my 35 years on this earth.

And I agree, yes, the Spengler Cup is less of a joke than this silly tournament.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto

Not a single colleague has even mentioned it. Our company who purchased a number of "books" of tickets for the last WJC isn't buying anything for this tournament.

That includes the hundreds (likely thousands) of tickets that will be given to minor hockey teams, etc, for free, just to get seats filled.

I hope Bettman pays close attention to the flop of the stupidest idea in my 35 years on this earth.

And I agree, yes, the Spengler Cup is less of a joke than this silly tournament.

I'm in downtown TO as well and concur - ZERO buzz so far.

The NHL and Sportsnet will go into overdrive to promote it, but it's really tough to get past the non-national teams, the ridiculous ticket prices and the fact that tickets can only be bought as a total tournament package.

Anyone know what sales have been like so far?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

The NHL and Sportsnet will go into overdrive to promote it, but it's really tough to get past the non-national teams, the ridiculous ticket prices and the fact that tickets can only be bought as a total tournament package.

Wait, are you saying you can't buy tickets for a single game? I could have sworn I saw single game tickets for sale at ticketmaster.

The prices are ridiculous though, agree 100% on that. Just a complete joke,

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

The company I work for is a STH to the ACC. Although I don't work out of the T.O. office, I do spend time there. And my colleagues are pretty much the same as yours, interest in this tournament is negligible. There is some lukewarm interest in a few of the key Team Canada games...but beyond that, the attitude of my co-workers pretty much reflects what this tournament is, a gimmicky pre-season exhibition money gouge. Perhaps holding it in Vegas would have been a better option.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Unfortunately, "ridiculous ticket prices" is the way of the world right now. I also hate when they make you buy full strips. Isn't it the same for the World Jrs? I remember when it was in Buffalo and one of the times it was in Montreal, Ottawa, and Buffalo, I thought about going until I saw I has to buy full strips.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Unfortunately, "ridiculous ticket prices" is the way of the world right now. I also hate when they make you buy full strips. Isn't it the same for the World Jrs? I remember when it was in Buffalo and one of the times it was in Montreal, Ottawa, and Buffalo, I thought about going until I saw I has to buy full strips.

They're selling them in eight-game packages now too. Maybe they couldn't get enough idiots to drop $8,186 on a couple nosebleed seats for the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad