World Cup Boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
From Wikipedia (and sourced)

It appears Eagleson and the various National Feds, along with the IIHF, did the heavy lifting...

The NHL's "role" seems to be as follows...

Thanks for the links - my memory is now officially refreshed. You original quote "if anything they worked against it" I'd say was an overstatement though. Some owners had to be convinced - that's different. It's fair to say though (as you did) that the NHL didn't come up with the concept as Eagleson was a player agent and didn't work for the NHL.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Thanks for the links - my memory is now officially refreshed. You original quote "if anything they worked against it" I'd say was an overstatement though. Some owners had to be convinced - that's different. It's fair to say though (as you did) that the NHL didn't come up with the concept as Eagleson was a player agent and didn't work for the NHL.

I dunno... It might be an overstatement, but based on the provided info the NHL's role in the CC becoming a reality is minimal. The league's role doesn't go beyond (eventually) agreeing to allow their players to participate.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Looking back it was far more credible than the sorry spectacle of amateurs (usually) getting routed by Communist pros at the Olympics.

More like Communist slaves. At least for Soviet Union. Dunno if it was that bad in Czechoslovakia.

In any case, this 2016 WCup is a joke tournament. The winner will be disputed immediately bcs of wonky teams. If Canada or US wins, they will blame eachother for having missed some youth. If a European team wins, the excuses of losing out on youth will fly again. If one of the gimmick teams wins, well...

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
More like Communist slaves. At least for Soviet Union. Dunno if it was that bad in Czechoslovakia.

In any case, this 2016 WCup is a joke tournament. The winner will be disputed immediately bcs of wonky teams. If Canada or US wins, they will blame eachother for having missed some youth. If a European team wins, the excuses of losing out on youth will fly again. If one of the gimmick teams wins, well...

And if the European teams lose they will blame it on being in N.A, with nhl refs, on nhl ice. Like they do and always have done.

Then this "World Cup" will be just like old times in many ways. The winner, aside from when the Soviets won in 1981(and was not disputed by Soviet fans) has always been disputed by European fans, nothing will change there this time around.

But you are bang on about how this tournament will change should the team europe leftover/team young gunz/ or Canada/U.S win this time.

Those scenarios are going to have a different bizarre aspect this time. Hence why this tournament shouldn't even take place under it's current guise.

You are correct, it is a joke tourney.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
I'm watching it because its the best players in the world - a far more stacked talent pool than any other tournament because of the controversial team europe/team NA.

I would rather the NHL get my dollars than the IOC anyways plus it means competitive hockey when I will be most hungry for it.

The only thing I don't like about it are the team canada jerseys, I hate the logo on the front it seems like a generic thing that EA would come up with.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't like that nhl players will not be playing in the olympics but at least I think (hope) the games themselves at this event will at least be better then the last olympics, which other then Canada winning for me was very dull.

Teams like Latvia and Finland just sucked the life out of it, i know they did what they had to do but man.............what boring and uninspired hockey teams such as those put on display.

They made the last olys rather dreadful. It was straight pitiful watching them play.

They set the bar for entertainment so low where it shouldn't take much for this world cup to beat it.

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
I'm watching it because its the best players in the world - a far more stacked talent pool than any other tournament because of the controversial team europe/team NA.

I would rather the NHL get my dollars than the IOC anyways plus it means competitive hockey when I will be most hungry for it.

The only thing I don't like about it are the team canada jerseys, I hate the logo on the front it seems like a generic thing that EA would come up with.

Don't you think that the drama of the game will be hurt because Europeans will not watch or care about this tournament?
Nobody cares about this tournament because the NHL went into it without getting the other Euro leagues involved.
It feels wrong and the two fake teams proves it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Me too.

For some reason, I still get a kick out of seeing great hockey players play hockey against other great hockey players.

Also gives me an excuse to go to Toronto, go to the HHOF, go to hockey games in September.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Don't you think that the drama of the game will be hurt because Europeans will not watch or care about this tournament?
Nobody cares about this tournament because the NHL went into it without getting the other Euro leagues involved.
It feels wrong and the two fake teams proves it.

I think the drama will be hurt more by the lukewarm reception it is going to get in Canada. Or at least I think it is going to get a lukewarm reception.

Because if even Canadian fans cannot get up for it then there is no hope.

Going by what European fans have always said the past Canada Cups were not greatly respected either so if you can believe them then their non interest this time should be same old same old and not affect much.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
HAH! Now they want to drop Finland!

Please just don't watch international competition. It's not for you.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
And if the European teams lose they will blame it on being in N.A, with nhl refs, on nhl ice. Like they do and always have done.

Then this "World Cup" will be just like old times in many ways. The winner, aside from when the Soviets won in 1981(and was not disputed by Soviet fans) has always been disputed by European fans, nothing will change there this time around.

Europeans aren't the only ones who hold this view. Up to this point the Canada Cup/World Cup have always been set-up for the North American teams to win, particularly Canada.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Teams like Latvia and Finland just sucked the life out of it, i know they did what they had to do but man.............what boring and uninspired hockey teams such as those put on display.

They made the last olys rather dreadful. It was straight pitiful watching them play.

They set the bar for entertainment so low where it shouldn't take much for this world cup to beat it.

Yeah Finland is just dreadful aren't they?

So boring and uncompetitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad