World Cup Boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I saw the word "usually", and as I said the funny thing is that even the example that you mentioned used "international" in it. I wouldn't say that it's a good definition, given that in terms best on best has always meant international, just funny. Then again, if you somehow consider the 2013 best on best, given that no one 20 or older could play in it, then there is no reasoning with you.

I won't watch because I refuse to support something that is so clearly wrong. The messed up a previously great tournament, and is even on record as saying that if this tournament is a success then it loses more interest in going to the . Supporting it even in a small way would only reinforce the 's idiocy in doing things that I don't like.

I get your point. And I said that I agree that the absolute best-on-best is just the olympics or something like the last World Cup in 2004.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I don't understand how someone is able to call himself a hockey fan and decide to watch this tournament.

Meh. Whilst I think this tournament is a sillier extension of the all-star game I do understand how some fans want to watch it.

Much like the casual basketball fan could love the Harlem Globetrotters and the die hard fan watching it because it kinda is basketball.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
This tournament blows. The NHL should be ashamed of itself. That being said, I'm still watching.:laugh: I won't be emotionally invested though.

I agree. I really hope Team Europe or the Young Guns wins the World Cup. Imagine the confusion of what anthem they have to play.

This tournament should've taken the top eight national teams and should've been a part of the IIHF seeding process. This is a shameless money grab on the part of the NHL.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
If your not watching it, your not a fan of the game! I’m calling you on this, otherwise you wouldn’t be on a Hockey Forum. :shakehead

So if you apply your thinking to both North Americans and Europeans, like myself, that would mean I am not a fan of hockey, because I won't get up in the middle of the night scouring the internet for some choppy stream to watch this?

Well if that is the requirement to call myself a hockey fan, I'll refrain from doing so, thank you very much.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
This tournament won't even attract 1/3 of Canadians to watch.

Remember that.

Canadians aren't stupid, they know how much of a hoax this is.

The Stanley Cup finals are an indication of what kind of viewership this cash grab will get.

Only hardcore nhl fans will watch. ''nhl'' are different fans from Hockey fans. There are more Hockey fans in the World then nhl fans.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
This tournament won't even attract 1/3 of Canadians to watch.

Remember that.

Canadians aren't stupid, they know how much of a hoax this is.

The Stanley Cup finals are an indication of what kind of viewership this cash grab will get.

Only hardcore fans will watch. '''' are different fans from fans. There are more fans in the World then fans.

Huh. The HF forum is definitely known to be, maybe not in majority but still, critical, and quite easy-to-be-negative. From my experience, I have not seen as much hate towards this tournament outside this forum as here. And yet still, I dare you to say that it's only 1/3 of users that will be watching the tournament. Not that it represents the whole HF for certain, but I made a poll last year in March about the tournament, 147 voters. 83% of them voted they will be watching. Not everyone likes the format, but will be watching. That is not 1/3. That's 2.5/3

Empty Net Goal

Dec 27, 2013
All Alone
I didn't read the whole thread, but what is so wrong with the tourney that people won't be watching?

It's going to be a tourney full of some of the best players in the world playing each other. How is that a bad thing for entertainment value or for the sport?

I don't understand why it's so evil and everyone should boycott.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I didn't read the whole thread, but what is so wrong with the tourney that people won't be watching?

It's going to be a tourney full of some of the best players in the world playing each other. How is that a bad thing for entertainment value or for the sport?

If the tourney is a success and goes exactly as NHL would want it to, they are closer to ditching the Olympics, stitching ads to the NHL team jerseys, clitching the IIHF as a competitor/counterweight to their taking control over the sport and generally itching people who rather would not see the business side of things completely dictating what's up.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

This is what's wrong with it...

From the NHL’s marketing guy who conceived of this travesty.

"This format isn’t locked in for future competitions, just this one because of the time constraints".

A lie. There were no time constraints.

"It’s not like we’re trying to establish that the World Cup becomes this amalgamation of countries and everything else,” Collins said. “We’re just trying to stage the best possible hockey tournament we can, set that up and then transition to this more natural World Cup brand.”

and this is his/NHL's idea of what a future gimmicky tournament is going to look like....

According to Collins, "In 2020, the idea is to have a qualifying tournament featuring some of the other traditional hockey-playing countries along with others, like the United Kingdom, Germany, France and Ireland. Eligibility restrictions would be relaxed so that Canadian and American players who don’t make those teams can play for a nation of their ancestry.

Look at the "traditional hockey powers he himself identified. UK., France, Ireland....

And ladies and Gentleman, I give you the Family Tree Cup. This is what it's going to lead to…

I can see one particular website lining up for sponsorship of this doozy of a marketing gong show. It is becoming more ridiculous and amateurish every time these N.Y. City lawyers open their mouths. Luongo can suit up for Italy. Todd Bertuzzi will come out of retirement to join him. Team France will enter a team and boast 3 players who were actually born and raised in France, the rest made of Quebecers not quite good enough. Maybe Scotland would like their own team and can convince Nathan MacKinnon to suit up for them. Oh, and by the way, in 4 years’ time McDavid will still be too young to play for Team Canada... but that's okay, as it won't be Team Canada anyway, it will be referred to as the Colonies or Team British North America. Team USA will be known as the Paul Revere Revolutionaries. The Revolutionaries will play all their prelim games on an outdoor rink near Boston harbor until they have to invade Upper Canada at Fort York in a stirring reenactment of the War of 1812.

The 1 hope remaining is that John Collins, the NHL's marketing guy who conceived of this abomination, has since moved on and is pursuing his profession in other ways.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
And ladies and Gentleman, I give you the Family Tree Cup. This is what it's going to lead to…

I can see one particular website lining up for sponsorship of this doozy of a marketing gong show. It is becoming more ridiculous and amateurish every time these N.Y. City lawyers open their mouths. Luongo can suit up for Italy. Todd Bertuzzi will come out of retirement to join him. Team France will enter a team and boast 3 players who were actually born and raised in France, the rest made of Quebecers not quite good enough. Maybe Scotland would like their own team and can convince Nathan MacKinnon to suit up for them. Oh, and by the way, in 4 years’ time McDavid will still be too young to play for Team Canada... but that's okay, as it won't be Team Canada anyway, it will be referred to as the Colonies or Team British North America. Team USA will be known as the Paul Revere Revolutionaries. The Revolutionaries will play all their prelim games on an outdoor rink near Boston harbor until they have to invade Upper Canada at Fort York in a stirring reenactment of the War of 1812.

I'm sorry, but this is actually an awesome concept, and I for one can't wait for the Swedes and Finns joining together to form Team New Sweden and wrestle the Delaware Trophy from Team British North America.

We'll see who'll be out in the prelims this time.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I'm sorry, but this is actually an awesome concept, and I for one can't wait for the Swedes and Finns joining together to form Team New Sweden and wrestle the Delaware Trophy from Team British North America.

We'll see who'll be out in the prelims this time.
Lol, Sweden and Finland in one team would be unfair in current hockey world.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I have no problems if the NHL wants to put a best on best tournament with 6-8 countries, all in the name of hockey related revenue. But this tournament is gimmicky as hell and I hope the ratings in Canada are a flop.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I have no problems if the NHL wants to put a best on best tournament with 6-8 countries, all in the name of hockey related revenue. But this tournament is gimmicky as hell and I hope the ratings in Canada are a flop.

I am expecting it to be a ratings flop... SN is the host broadcaster. Do we really want an early start to the Strombo hipster-dufus silly season? I am expecting low attendance at games, i.e. non sellouts, at least for games not involving Team Canada. The buzz of activity downtown Toronto in September will be at Rogers Centre/SkyDome...now if the Jays will only cooperate and stay in the race, it could put a serious dent in the NHL's plans.

fingers crossed that this gimmicky tournament dies on the vine and is mocked for months afterwards.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I am expecting it to be a ratings flop... SN is the host broadcaster. Do we really want an early start to the Strombo hipster-dufus silly season? I am expecting low attendance at games, i.e. non sellouts, at least for games not involving Team Canada. The buzz of activity downtown Toronto in September will be at Rogers Centre/SkyDome...now if the Jays will only cooperate and stay in the race, it could put a serious dent in the NHL's plans.

fingers crossed that this gimmicky tournament dies on the vine and is mocked for months afterwards.

The best thing that could happen is Canada and USA not getting out of the group, especially due to a lack of scoring, and the NHL being stuck with some combination of Finland/Czech Republic/Euro Leftovers in the finals. Unlikely that it will happen, but it would be the best.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The best thing that could happen is Canada and USA not getting out of the group, especially due to a lack of scoring, and the NHL being stuck with some combination of Finland/Czech Republic/Euro Leftovers in the finals. Unlikely that it will happen, but it would be the best.

And why would that be?

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
The World Cup will be a big success and everyone here doubting that will be really surprised.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Is that a good enough excuse for wishing a Canada defeat?

That's questionable in my mind.

If it means we get to have real best-on-best events then I'll happily sacrifice this team (which is the first Canadian senior team to have a stupid age restriction anyway).

No big loss.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
And why would that be?

Because the NHL is on record as saying that if this tournament is successful, NHL participation in the Olympics isn't needed. Because seeing Canada and USA eliminated early, after having unfair age restrictions placed on them, drives home how idiotic the Young Gunz is. Because I really don't care about the results of the Canadian over 23 team, since it isn't even a legitimate team Canada. It's pretty obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad