World Cup 2016 Thread

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I'm going to go with "because Quenneville is Canadian, and is on the Team Canada coaching staff". :)

He has American passport although I do not see why that would even be a requirement since you do not coach with your passport but with your playbook. This is the root of the American problem.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Can we start a stand-alone thread where the word 'playbook' gets used and ban its use entirely elsewhere? Or just use the John Tortorella's Playbook thread. Jeesh.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
:facepalm:

Be sure to let me know the next time a non-Finn coaches Team Finland. :rolleyes:

Ice Hockey Lion number #148 Curt "Curre" Lindström, a Swede brought Finland its first ever World Championship gold in Sweden, Stockholm, Globen in the year 1995 with his "lite bättre" playbook. That victory is the symbol of Finland getting out of economic depression.

latest

The latest foreign coach for Finland was in 2008 when Elvis Merzlikins's current head coach Dog Shredder led the Lions to a bronze position.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Murray and Jones have been McLellan's go-to pair for the PK. They both logged 6ish minutes in PK time yesterday (!!!). On a team that features Gostisbehere, Reilly, and Parayko, the two of them aren't heavily relied on to put up the offensive numbers, which is a good thing I guess.

Murray has really impressed me this tournament, he is so cerebral and can do it all. I know that he hasn't registered a point yet, but he seems to jump into the play in the offensive zone and create chances a good amount, too.

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
Well, I am glad that is over. While I wanted the USA to win, I am happy to have Torts from the beginning of training camp. And that isn't to say that with a different roster the result would be any different.

I have some mixed emotions, in that I feel that this World Cup of Hockey is a made for TV event, in that ESPN was behind it. So I would question how the the rosters were formulated. The public statements may say otherwise, but ESPN steers the ship. Look at the money they raked in with advertising. Did ESPN have a say in the makeup of the North American Squad? Did they influence the rosters in any way to make the games more competitive? Was ESPN in any way influential in having the North America team a team of young prospects? I question how much ESPN was involved behind the scenes.

Doesnt matter what ESPN dictates. Even Canada's B team would have beaten Team USA.

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
Can we start a stand-alone thread where the word 'playbook' gets used and ban its use entirely elsewhere? Or just use the John Tortorella's Playbook thread. Jeesh.

Seems like he likes Torts likes the word Mindset alot.... http://theprovince.com/sports/morni...orellas-mindset-and-will-canada-face-the-kids

Torts and his mindset

John Tortorella’s specialty seems to be “mindsetâ€.

“I have a tough time seeing players in the trainers room all the time getting rubbed, and they’re sore, they’re getting this done and that done,†he said on HBO’s 24/7 back in 2011. “I think athletes can create more problems for themselves than there really is. I think that’s part of a mindset.â€

He blamed mindset when the Bruins eliminated his Rangers from the playoffs in 2013.

“I don’t think our mindset was ready for the level you need to be at,†he said. “That’s what I struggle with right now. I didn’t do a good enough job in correcting … their mindset.â€

The Rangers fired him, but the Canucks hired him. And he had some surprises in store for the players during training camp.

“There will be some little tests you go through without even knowing you are going through them to see that you don’t give in,†he told Jason Botchford. “It’s a mindset.â€

Torts was pleased after a preseason game that September: “The biggest thing for me is the mindset and it was a good night for us.â€

The Canucks then went through a five-game losing streak in January, and Torts identified the problem.

Jan. 5, 2014: “Aside from the details, the specifics of it, a lot of it is a mindset.â€

Jan. 8, 2014: “It’s a mindset. I just don’t think we have the proper mindset to know how to change the momentum of games.â€

Jan. 9, 2014: “Situational play is a mindset and we have not totally grasped that.â€

The Canucks fired Torts after a 36-47 season.

His theories on mindset impressed Team USA brass enough that they hired him to coach at the World Cup of Hockey. In an article titled Wiser John Tortorella Ready To Coach Team USA At World Cup Of Hockey, he told the Los Angeles Times: “Let’s forget about the Xs and Os. It’s about a mindset. It’s about a team that needs to feel good about itself before this tournament even starts, needs to feel strong mentally about itself. I think intangibles in such a short tournament is huge.â€

The Columbus Blue Jackets were sold. Didn’t even need to wait for the World Cup. They hired Torts last November after an 0-7 start under Todd Richards.

“We have started off poorly, so we have to make this a tougher place to play,†Torts said at the time. “It’s not Xs and Os, it’s about a mindset.â€

The Jackets went 34-41 under Torts.

On the eve of Team USA’s opener, which cost them a chance at the semifinals:

Follow
Nick Cotsonika ✔ @cotsonika
Tortorella said he has not looked at Team Europe, his opponent tomorrow. He will study this afternoon.
7:55 AM - 16 Sep 2016
Retweets 3 3 likes
I think we have enough evidence by now that it isn’t a mindset. Or maybe it is, and Torts just isn’t very good at changing it. But I’ll tell you what mindset I’d be grasping if I were him: Let the professional athletes worry about their own mindset and spend some time on Xs and Os. Because it’s starting to look an awful lot like Team USA will be his second-to-last coaching gig.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I've got to think that the dismal US World Cup showing takes away any rope that Torts might have had if the CBJ get off to a bad start- a good possibility given the schedule.

Will the Jackets fire their coach in the first month of the season for the second consecutive season? Stay tuned.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I've got to think that the dismal US World Cup showing takes away any rope that Torts might have had if the CBJ get off to a bad start- a good possibility given the schedule.

Will the Jackets fire their coach in the first month of the season for the second consecutive season? Stay tuned.

I highly doubt it.. It'd be giving away a 2nd round pick for just 1 bad season under Tortorella. Almost like saying it was a mistake already.

I think we give him another full year to be honest

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

I think if we get off to another bad start that maybe for once the coach won't be to blame. Maybe look at the guy putting the team together and (in some cases the same person) the guy hiring the coaches that get turned over every year an a half.

Meaning if the team flops JD and Jarmo will be on the hot seat. Would be a typical CBJ move since we just signed them both to extensions to fire them shortly affter :)

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I highly doubt it.. It'd be giving away a 2nd round pick for just 1 bad season under Tortorella. Almost like saying it was a mistake already.

I think we give him another full year to be honest

Not to mention firing him would mean we were paying three head coaches.

And I say this as someone who doesn't think highly of Torts, he deserves at least a full season, barring a colossal disaster of a season.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Torts deserves a full season as this is his first full camp.. simple as that to me.

With that said, I'd be lying if I said the Team USA play did not give a slight concern for what will happen with CBJ. Only ever so slight though. ;)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Torts deserves a full season as this is his first full camp.. simple as that to me.

With that said, I'd be lying if I said the Team USA play did not give a slight concern for what will happen with CBJ. Only ever so slight though. ;)

Slight concern, yes.

It's just frustrating that everyone and their mother is throwing the kitchen sink at Torts, and the baby and the bathwater. Not much of it is substantive.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Slight concern, yes.

It's just frustrating that everyone and their mother is throwing the kitchen sink at Torts, and the baby and the bathwater. Not much of it is substantive.

Everyone was doing that before the World Cup. Now they just have a fresh, tangible reason to do so.

Hard "meh" from me. The personnel was not good. I don't know what exactly he was supposed to do differently. This has zero impact on my feelings going into CBJ training camp/NHL season. Only time will tell.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I think Team USA was built to be purposefully bad so they could move the team to Miami. I just watched Major League though so I could have made that up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->