World Championship News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adlergirl

Sep 2, 2004
Mannheim
Lionel Hutz said:
I repeat my question, when has Canada played NHL players at the Spengler cup?

Never because they never had the chance to because NHL players used to play for NHL teams in the old days and the NHL didn't stop playing between Christmas and New Years Eve. But nowadays many of them do actually play in Europe and some really good ones even in Switzerland so people were assuming that a guy like St.Louis for example would play for Canada instead for Davos. Why didn't St. Louis (picked this guy just as an example) play 4 Canada? Because according to them they wanted to try some "european" Canadians +some AHL-players because at the Olympics players with an NHL contract won't be allowed to play (probably). And the same works for the World Championships.

Last edited:

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Adlergirl said:
Never because they never had the chance to because NHL players used to play for NHL teams in the old days and the NHL didn't stop playing between Christmas and New Years Eve. But nowadays many of them do actually play in Europe and some really good ones even in Switzerland so people were assuming that a guy like St.Louis for example would play for Canada instead for Davos. Why didn't St. Louis (picked this guy just as an example) play 4 Canada? Because according to them they wanted to try some "european" Canadians +some AHL-players because at the Olympics players with an NHL contract won't be allowed to play (probably). And the same works for the World Championships.

I totally disagree, and I'd like to see a source for the official's comment that they wanted to try it.

I think you are reading something into the Spengler cup that just isn't there. Its a minor tournament that gets no attention here, and Canada has never sent players, it is always Canadians playing in Europe with the occasional exception (ie: Peca, who played once b/c he was not playing in the NHL).

St. Louis played for Davos b/c he plays for Davos, period.

Its possible they could mix up the WC roster a bit to prepare for 2006, but it has nothing to do with the Spengler Cup.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
I totally disagree, and I'd like to see a source for the official's comment that they wanted to try it.

I think you are reading something into the Spengler cup that just isn't there. Its a minor tournament that gets no attention here, and Canada has never sent players, it is always Canadians playing in Europe with the occasional exception (ie: Peca, who played once b/c he was not playing in the NHL).

St. Louis played for Davos b/c he plays for Davos, period.

Its possible they could mix up the WC roster a bit to prepare for 2006, but it has nothing to do with the Spengler Cup.

Actually, there was some comments from Hockey Canada a few months ago in which they suggested that they would take a Spengler Cup type team to the World Championships, in order to prepare for the Olympics in Torino. Here is an article which briefly mentions it. http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2004/10/28/689148.html I read another article that clearly stated that the Spengler Cup type players could represent Canada at the 05 Worlds.

And actually, St. Louis plays for Lausanne of the Swiss League. He was loaned to Davos for the tournament.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Tricolore#20 said:
Actually, there was some comments from Hockey Canada a few months ago in which they suggested that they would take a Spengler Cup type team to the World Championships, in order to prepare for the Olympics in Torino. Here is an article which briefly mentions it. http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2004/10/28/689148.html I read another article that clearly stated that the Spengler Cup type players could represent Canada at the 05 Worlds.

Thanks for the link. I remember hearing that discussion, but it seems different from Adlergirl's statement b/c this is speaking of forming a full-time team, which hasn't been done. So, given what has been done (Canada sent the same Spengler team they always do), is quite different from her assertion that Canada sent non-NHL players purposefully to prepare for future tourneys without pros.

Tricolore#20 said:
And actually, St. Louis plays for Lausanne of the Swiss League. He was loaned to Davos for the tournament.

Oops, my mistake. I don't follow European hockey.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:
It is always the top Canadians playing in Europe. Always, but not this season. In this regard, Canada did not do the same as previous seasons. Preparing for the Olympics in case the NHLers are unavailable in Turin seems a reasonable explanation.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
jekoh said:
It is always the top Canadians playing in Europe. Always, but not this season. In this regard, Canada did not do the same as previous seasons. Preparing for the Olympics in case the NHLers are unavailable in Turin seems a reasonable explanation.

That's ridiculous. But whatever, interpret however you want.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:
That's ridiculous. But whatever, interpret however you want.
So, tell us, what in your opinion may have inspired this surprise move by Hockey Canada ?

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:
If you could tell me what surprisemove you're speaking of, I'd be more than happy to give an opinion.
Not selecting the best players available.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:
I already gave my opinion on that, its a ridiculous interpretation.
It's not an "interpretation", it's a fact : they didn't select the best players available.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
jekoh said:
It's not an "interpretation", it's a fact : they didn't select the best players available.

Then provide a link that shows that this is what Canada did, and that that was the reasoning behind it. The Spengler Cup has never been on my radar, so it may well be, if it is its the first I 've ever heard of it.

I just don't see why they would have loaded up the Spengler team with NHL players who are over there, and how it relates to the World Championship, which they have always provided NHL players for.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
Then provide a link that shows that this is what Canada did, and that that was the reasoning behind it. The Spengler Cup has never been on my radar, so it may well be, if it is its the first I 've ever heard of it.

I just don't see why they would have loaded up the Spengler team with NHL players who are over there, and how it relates to the World Championship, which they have always provided NHL players for.
Lionel surely you realize the NHL does not provide NHL players to the Spengler due to the timing. They had the opportunity to assemble a Spengler team of NHLers but chose to start building towards the 2006 games which may be NHL player free. They may choose a combination for the Worlds or they may say to hell with it and go for another title with many of the best.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:
Then provide a link that shows that this is what Canada did,
You'll find the roster easily on the web.

I just don't see why they would have loaded up the Spengler team with NHL players who are over there,
That's too bad.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Canada should go for an under 28 team with only active players that are playing in a league right now. No point in bringing in inactive players they wont play there best. That would be sweet. Lots of experience gained.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
bert said:
Canada should go for an under 28 team with only active players that are playing in a league right now. No point in bringing in inactive players they wont play there best. That would be sweet. Lots of experience gained.

I Like. ;)

Adlergirl

Sep 2, 2004
Mannheim
Lionel Hutz said:
Thanks for the link. I remember hearing that discussion, but it seems different from Adlergirl's statement b/c this is speaking of forming a full-time team, which hasn't been done.

No i wasn't talking about a full time team. I guess Canada was just trying out some of the Swiss-based Canadians. The actual WC team will probably include some players from the other european leagues and some AHL players. From Germany Pascal Trepanier of Nürnberg and Pat Lebeau of Frankfurt are likely to get called up

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Well today there was some clarification as to how Hockey Canada would proceed for this tournament. Bob McKenzie said that if the NHL cancels the season, then Canada will send its best team possible, as he suggested that it would include players like Sakic and Iginla despite the fact that neither player is playing at the moment.

Eric Duhatschek mentioned that Iginla is well aware of the world championships, and would be willing to play if there is no season (so does that mean he would take out some personal insurance to help cover the costs?). The TSN panel suggested that Canada would play some exhibition games against American and Russian players who haven't played this season, before heading over to Europe. Hockey fans in Austria are probably hoping right now that the NHL is cancelled, so that the hockey world's attention falls on their nation.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
For me, a best-on-best tournament like this would almost make up for missing the NHL playoffs.

I looooooove international hockey.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
wilka91 said:
International hockey > NHL! Period.

Agreed, provided that we are talking about top tournaments, and not about Spengler Cup, European Championships etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad