World Championship News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2004
Canada is in a group with Latvia, Slovenia, and the States.

"Latvia" :eek:

"Slovenia" :amazed: :amazed: :amazed:

The score in these games, as with other games like smaller countries against bigger hockey ones, might just be 15-20 to nothing. No joke.

What if Canada decides to use this tourney as a nice stepping stone into the future.

Something like:

Mario, thornton, sakic, iginla, marleau, doan, crosby, bergeron, nash, vinny, marty, Jeff Carter.

Like mix and match.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
i'd like something like this:

forwards

maltby, draper, doan, smyth, briere, morrow, iginla, bell, tanguay, nash, torres, walz, gagne, morrison

defencemen

brewer, redden, bouwmeester, hannan, smith, boynton, sydor, sarich

goalies

luongo, denis, theodore

Vic Rattlehead*

leafs4thecup said:

The score in these games, as with other games like smaller countries against bigger hockey ones, might just be 15-20 to nothing. No joke.

What if Canada decides to use this tourney as a nice stepping stone into the future.

Something like:

Mario, thornton, sakic, iginla, marleau, doan, crosby, bergeron, nash, vinny, marty, Jeff Carter.

Like mix and match.

Jeff Carter?

Jeff Carter?

I would put my trust into someone who is playing in the NHL before Carter. Sure, he will be a very good player in the future, but I wouldn't put him on the team when there are more deserving players.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
leafs4thecup said:

Nice to see that you respect the opponents. Don't break your arm while patting yourself in the back.

peacefrogdog

Mar 15, 2002
Visit site
An even younger team Canada

I'd like to see Canada go for more players who hasn't played in big international events before (i.e. 02 Olympics or 04 World Cup) 'test' them for a possible 2006 Games spot (if NHL'ers play). And give the younger players from previous teams even more playing time. Plus older players who tend fo make more, may opt out anyway if insurance is an issue.

My suggestions for possible combinations:
Bertuzzi-Thornton-Iginla
Draper-Primeau-Doan (an even better checking line!)
Smyth-Lecavalier-Heatley
Gagne-Richards-StLouis
Nash-Briere-Tanguay

Defense :
McCabe, Redden, S Neidermayer, Bouwmeester, Jackman, Regehr, Brewer, Jovanovski

Goal: Luongo, Theodore, Raycroft

Undressed (but more to get the experience of being at a tourney) : Jeff Carter, Spezza, Bergeron, Phaneuf

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
leafs4thecup said:

Something like:

Like mix and match.
I'd kindly like to remind you that Latvia has the best hockey crowd in the world. It might be a hard situation for canada going into a game feeling like waaaay underdogs to a way worse team.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
leafs4thecup said:

Something like:

Like mix and match.

I can understand that you have no respect for Slovenia, but Latvia does have a few very talented hockey players and I can assure you that Team Canada won't be beating them with 15-20 goals to nothing.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Also... Slovenia will probably dress Mr Rodman... The guy who had 6 goals and an assist in 6 games in the 2002 World champs.

A guy who is known to make a shorthanded situation look like a powerplay.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don´t think teams will use players in the WC that haven´t played this year, Sakic is always Sakic but after not playing a competitive game for 12 month I really doubt he would do much good.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Riddarn said:
I can understand that you have no respect for Slovenia, but Latvia does have a few very talented hockey players and I can assure you that Team Canada won't be beating them with 15-20 goals to nothing.
Last season, Canada-Austria ended 2-2.

Adlergirl

Sep 2, 2004
Mannheim
leafs4thecup said:

Canada has to watch out that they don't get suprised by Latvia especially if they can't use players with a lockout contract in Europe. At the Spengler Cup Canada played without NHL players to prepare for the World Championships and the Olympics

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Adlergirl said:
Canada has to watch out that they don't get suprised by Latvia especially if they can't use players with a lockout contract in Europe. At the Spengler Cup Canada played without NHL players to prepare for the World Championships and the Olympics

When was the last time Canada sent NHLers to the Spengler cup? And how does it relate to the World Championships?

Clearly, Canada is no match for Latvia and Slovenia.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Lionel Hutz said:
Care to elaborate? Or have I just been hit by a drive by?

Not quite sure, if this is what you're looking for, but for example on Jere Karalahti's case, the only reason why he didn't play in the FEL the season he was banned to take part in the NHL, wasn't because IIHF didn't give him a permission to play. IIHF would have been fine with Jere playing. Jere didn't play, because the FEL, after long thinking about it, decided, that they would honor NHL's ban.

This means, that Jere would probably been allowed to play e.g. in Switzerland. In Bertuzzi's case, he can't play, because IIHF honors NHL's decision.

Get the difference, or were you looking for something else?

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:
When was the last time Canada sent NHLers to the Spengler cup? And how does it relate to the World Championships?

Spengler Cup does not even come close to the level of World Championships in prestige or skill. Obviously Canada is the clear favorite against those two countries, but I wouldn't count on a 20-0 victory. It is likely only if Canada does indeed field it's best team.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:

:lol:

I think that Spengler Cup's team Canada has absolutely nothing to do with the World Championships.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Boucicaut said:
Spengler Cup does not even come close to the level of World Championships in prestige or skill. Obviously Canada is the clear favorite against those two countries, but I wouldn't count on a 20-0 victory. It is likely only if Canada does indeed field it's best team.

wilka91 said:
:lol:

I think that Spengler Cup's team Canada has absolutely nothing to do with the World Championships.

Ah, yeah. That was my point. :huh:

I'm not the one who brought the Spengler cup into this, I'm the one asking how in the heck it matters, because clearly it does not.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Diaboli said:
Not quite sure, if this is what you're looking for, but for example on Jere Karalahti's case, the only reason why he didn't play in the FEL the season he was banned to take part in the NHL, wasn't because IIHF didn't give him a permission to play. IIHF would have been fine with Jere playing. Jere didn't play, because the FEL, after long thinking about it, decided, that they would honor NHL's ban.

This means, that Jere would probably been allowed to play e.g. in Switzerland. In Bertuzzi's case, he can't play, because IIHF honors NHL's decision.

Get the difference, or were you looking for something else?

In both your examples the IIHF honoured the suspension, I have no idea where you're going with this.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I'll clarify a bit what Diaboli said....

Karalahti was suspended from playing in the finnish league by the finnish federation and had no suspension from the IIHF.

Adlergirl

Sep 2, 2004
Mannheim
Lionel Hutz said:
Ah, yeah. That was my point. :huh:

I'm not the one who brought the Spengler cup into this, I'm the one asking how in the heck it matters, because clearly it does not.

I brought it up. why do you think was Team Canada playing without any NHLers at the Spengler Cup when Davos added guys like Nash and Thornton to their roster and every other team had some player from the NHL which normally isn't on their roster. The reason for that is that Team Canada wanted to get the impression of how they would fare without NHL players. But some Canada official said they did that because of the Olympics because it's likely that there won't be any NHL players at the next Olympics in Torino.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
leafs4thecup said:

Latvia finished 7th (loosing to Sweden in the Quarterfinal) at the last World Championships, ahead of Germany, Switzerland or Russia! Canada only won with 2:0 in the Qualifying Round. And btw. Irbe had a better GAA and SV% than Loungo in that tournament. :teach:

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Adlergirl said:
I brought it up. why do you think was Team Canada playing without any NHLers at the Spengler Cup when Davos added guys like Nash and Thornton to their roster and every other team had some player from the NHL which normally isn't on their roster. The reason for that is that Team Canada wanted to get the impression of how they would fare without NHL players. But some Canada official said they did that because of the Olympics because it's likely that there won't be any NHL players at the next Olympics in Torino.

I repeat my question, when has Canada played NHL players at the Spengler cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad