World Championship News

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Boucicaut said:
Agreed, provided that we are talking about top tournaments, and not about Spengler Cup, European Championships etc.
I'd take the Euro Championships ahead of the NHL, any day. Even with Erkka at the helm...

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
So who thinks it's going to be a best on best?

Now I must find a cable network that will be broadcasting the Worlds in France ... this country sucks!

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Well with the season canceled there is good chance Lemieux will play. I think we might be able to expect Sidney Crosby will too if the timing is right (I guess weather or not they make it to the Memorial cup)

Last edited:

Macman

May 15, 2004
wilka91 said:
So who thinks it's going to be a best on best?

Now I must find a cable network that will be broadcasting the Worlds in France ... this country sucks!

It look likes it's going to pretty close to a best-on-best, but I would imagine the fact a lot of guys aren't playing will be a factor. Lidstrom has already said he won't go because he's not in shape.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Macman said:
Lidstrom has already said he won't go because he's not in shape.
Yeah well if he's not in shape then it's not a problem because this means there are better players than him.

There's never been a 100% best on 100% best. :lol:

Game_Misconduct

Oct 13, 2004
TSN is reporting that Gretzky probably won't be working with Team Canada if the lockout isn't over.

I guess that means Lemieux wouldn't be able to play either.

Gretzky unlikely to head up Team Canada
TSN.ca Staff
2/21/2005
Even the Great One couldn't bridge the gap between NHL players and owners after he was asked to get involved.

Because of it, one might naturally assume he'd be available to help Hockey Canada again at a major international tournament.
But with the cancelled season, a source has told TSN the NHL will not allow anyone in the league or employees to take part in the Worlds.
So it seems unlikely that Gretzky, who managed Canada to Olympic and World Cup gold, will be involved this time.

It had been rumoured that Gretzky would manage Team Canada at April's World Hockey Championship but his position with the Phoenix Coyotes would be a seen as a conflict of interest since he would be working closely with NHL players currently involved in hockey's labour dispute.

An announcement is expected later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad