Niskanen
Carlson
Kempny
Djoos
Seigenthaler
Bowey
Orpik

Does that help?
I wouldnt say Seigenthaler is quite there yet and I dont think Djoos is really an NHL calibre defenceman. I'm sure he will only be here until some of our prospects are ready. Seigenthaler is already catching him.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Djoos just played 22 playoff games at 11 minutes a night. He is a 5/6 NHL calibre dman.
He wouldnt make many rosters. I'm not sure how long he will even remain in the NHL. We have some prospects that could pass him.
You do realize that he is by far the most sheltered dman on our roster. His board play is weak in the defensive zone. His play in front of our net us also very weak which is why he hasn't really been given an opportunity to kill penalties. Bowey and Seigenthaler have. So basically his strength is the offensive part of his game. More than a 3rd of the way through the season and he has 3 assists. He really isn't bringing much.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He wouldnt make many rosters. I'm not sure how long he will even remain in the NHL. We have some prospects that could pass him.
You do realize that he is by far the most sheltered dman on our roster. His board play is weak in the defensive zone. His play in front of our net us also very weak which is why he hasn't really been given an opportunity to kill penalties. Bowey and Seigenthaler have. So basically his strength is the offensive part of his game. More than a 3rd of the way through the season and he has 3 assists. He really isn't bringing much.

As a 6/7 I think he would make all but maybe four or five NHL teams. I will concede that others in the system may pass him but that is a credit to the D the Caps have in the system.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
As a 6/7 I think he would make all but maybe four or five NHL teams. I will concede that others in the system may pass him but that is a credit to the D the Caps have in the system.

He was a 7th round pick. After helping the team WIN the Stanley Cup, he may get passed by two 2nd round picks and/or later on a 1st round pick. Doesn't mean he isn't an NHL'r. I agree he'd find a home on 26 rosters or so. Also doesn't mean he's stopped improving. All those things Maaco mentioned about the various holes in his game, he's been improving them, he added a lot of weight this pass off season, and he's still only 24.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I wouldnt say Seigenthaler is quite there yet and I dont think Djoos is really an NHL calibre defenceman. I'm sure he will only be here until some of our prospects are ready. Seigenthaler is already catching him.

Seigs hasn't looked out of place at all this year, unlike say Bowey last year. I think Seigs getting a taste this year, he's got a LOT of upside, just needs to work on his interview game.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He was a 7th round pick. After helping the team WIN the Stanley Cup, he may get passed by two 2nd round picks and/or later on a 1st round pick. Doesn't mean he isn't an NHL'r. I agree he'd find a home on 26 rosters or so. Also doesn't mean he's stopped improving. All those things Maaco mentioned about the various holes in his game, he's been improving them, he added a lot of weight this pass off season, and he's still only 24.
It won't matter how much weight he gains if he doesnt use it. He really doesnt bring a lot and I dont see his game improving like Bowey game has.
I guess you dont set your standards very high.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Just finished watching the game. Wow, that was a clinical win. That's second game in a row that Orlov/Niskanen pair doesn't make me tear up. Kempny has been solid, too.

I'd also like to thank Blue Jackets for their contributions 'cause they sucked.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It won't matter how much weight he gains if he doesnt use it. He really doesnt bring a lot and I dont see his game improving like Bowey game has.

Why you gotta make it personal? My standards aren't low, I'm merely discussing a player who, while not perfect, is a bona fide NHL Dman who just took regular shifts on a Cup winner. Sure he's got flaw, so does EVERY 6th/7th Dman in the NHL. If he's our 6th/7th Dman, he's still an NHLr. You're just saying you think 30 other teams have better 6/7. You also seem to think he's peaked after 90 NHL games. I disagree, thats all.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Saw the highlights, and for a 4-0 game, Bob was lights out. Caps should have won this one by a much higher margin.

Jun 15, 2007
Where's Boyd's production coming from? How did we have such a seemingly talented guy buried in Hershey for so long?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

He brings what other defensemen in the system lack, fluidity in transition and the ability to play with his brain. You don't like him because he's not built and rugged, because you tense up whenever you think he's about to get hit. He's been playing around that physical limitation his whole life, and he's plenty good at making deft touches and working with incoming contact rather than winning it.

It's not the fault of the player, it's your love for plodding idiot hockey.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He brings what other defensemen in the system lack, fluidity in transition and the ability to play with his brain. You don't like him because he's not built and rugged, because you tense up whenever you think he's about to get hit. He's been playing around that physical limitation his whole life, and he's plenty good at making deft touches and working with incoming contact rather than winning it.

It's not the fault of the player, it's your love for plodding idiot hockey.
He is unreliable without the puck. There is a reason that he is sheltered so much. I dunno for a guy that is here for his play with the puck I would expect more than 3 assists from him.
He doesnt really bring much bat either end if the ice. I'd rather go with Seigenthaler and Bowey.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Why you gotta make it personal? My standards aren't low, I'm merely discussing a player who, while not perfect, is a bona fide NHL Dman who just took regular shifts on a Cup winner. Sure he's got flaw, so does EVERY 6th/7th Dman in the NHL. If he's our 6th/7th Dman, he's still an NHLr. You're just saying you think 30 other teams have better 6/7. You also seem to think he's peaked after 90 NHL games. I disagree, thats all.
Well it is obvious that you set your standards lower than I do because I dont think he really belongs in the NHL.
Maybe he hasn't peaked but his play hasn't really improved from last season. I also didnt say that 30 teams have better 6/7 dmen. I said he wouldnt make many NHL rosters. Djoos is lucky that the NHL isnt physical anymore. Otherwise he never would have been given an opportunity.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Where's Boyd's production coming from? How did we have such a seemingly talented guy buried in Hershey for so long?

Not sure how buried he was nor for how long. Which everyday player on last year's team or the team before that would you have given his roster spot to? As it is now, he gets scratched. I saw the article posted showing Dowd had better analytics than Boyd. Maybe that is why. I am sure his age has something to do with it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad