Post-Game Talk: World Champions @ Columbus | Caps Win 4-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I was 100% sure Djoos isnt gonna make it to the NHL.

Then I was sure he won't last for long.

Here we are. Guy has to be super smart and his puck skills are very good too.

You can't deny that or he would be on LTIR or in press box long time ago.

Thankfully Djoos is a warrior and our coaching stuff works well with him.

But Im still afraid to play him :P I mean, when Alexeev will come Djoos should be traded :D Nothing personal, asset management only.

OTOH, all the prospects of him getting bulkier are gone too. Is there much more potential in him? I doubt it. He's limited both with PP and PK due. A little mismatch.

But he's Cup champion forever.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I was 100% sure Djoos isnt gonna make it to the NHL.

Then I was sure he won't last for long.

Here we are. Guy has to be super smart and his puck skills are very good too.

You can't deny that or he would be on LTIR or in press box long time ago.

Thankfully Djoos is a warrior and our coaching stuff works well with him.

But Im still afraid to play him :P I mean, when Alexeev will come Djoos should be traded :D Nothing personal, asset management only.

OTOH, all the prospects of him getting bulkier are gone too. Is there much more potential in him? I doubt it. He's limited both with PP and PK due. A little mismatch.

But he's Cup champion forever.

Good post. Alexeyev will be here sooner rather than later. One season in Hershey next year and then he will get a shot here.

There was an article on Djoos were he said he was eating like 6000 calories a day but wasn't gaining as much weight as he'd hoped.

The Capitals have him on a high calorie diet that requires him to eat much more than other players.

“You just got to eat everything almost,” he said. “Not the bad stuff but you gotta eat all the time. Just trying to do that every day.”

He then cracked: “I just got to keep eating, keep eating, work out, then maybe one day just explode and gain some pounds.”

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just watched the condensed game. Jeff Rimer had a hard night. Go watch it. Its a hoot. Each of the Caps goals. Its like he just couldn't bring himself to say they scored

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I think Leonsis and Co have bought some real estate inside Columbus smack dab in the heart of downtown.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Good post. Alexeyev will be here sooner rather than later. One season in Hershey next year and then he will get a shot here.

There was an article on Djoos were he said he was eating like 6000 calories a day but wasn't gaining as much weight as he'd hoped.
Alexeyev looks like the real deal. We also have Johansen in the mix.
As for Djoos gaining weight it might not matter a lot. He hasn't developed the physical part of his game. Is he going to be able to learn to play physical? Its more than just weight. He needs to add strengh and learn how to use his body.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Kempny now tied 4th in +/- this season. Starting to approach 20 minutes night after night during this run. Season-high 23+ minutes few games back.

What a steal that was.
I think he is benefitting from be paired with Carlson. He is playing better than I ever expected him to. Wish he was a bit more physical though.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
As for Djoos gaining weight it might not matter a lot. He hasn't developed the physical part of his game. Is he going to be able to learn to play physical? Its more than just weight. He needs to add strengh and learn how to use his body.

In THIS version of the NHL? NHL defenses are loaded with Christian Djoos'. Guys who can't hit or can't clear the front of the net, etc. Look no further than Pittsburgh's 4 million dollar man, two time Cup winner, Olli Maatta.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
In THIS version of the NHL? NHL defenses are loaded with Christian Djoos'. Guys who can't hit or can't clear the front of the net, etc. Look no further than Pittsburgh's 4 million dollar man, two time Cup winner, Olli Maatta.
Wow. You are happy comparing him to Maatta? Maatta is soft and he does suck but he is still better and more physical than Djoos. The NHL is not loaded with guys like Djoos. Djoos us physically the weakest dman I have ever seen in the NHL.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
With Djoos if you’re going to be an effective defenseman at under 170 lb you’re going to have to play a game that not everyone finds aesthetically pleasing, you’ve got focus on passing lanes and not the body and you’re going to be an underdog along the boards. You can say we’re just not going to play or develop a 165 lb defenseman but then you play Jerabek and lose in the first round instead of winning the Cup.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Maatta and Djoos are both soft but that's a terrible comparison. Olli Maatta might be the worst skater in the league now that the enforcers are mostly gone.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Maatta and Djoos are both soft but that's a terrible comparison. Olli Maatta might be the worst skater in the league now that the enforcers are mostly gone.

Skating wasn't the comparison really. I just picked him because I watch him a lot and he would have a hard time clearing a pee wee from the front of the net.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
With Djoos if you’re going to be an effective defenseman at under 170 lb you’re going to have to play a game that not everyone finds aesthetically pleasing, you’ve got focus on passing lanes and not the body and you’re going to be an underdog along the boards. You can say we’re just not going to play or develop a 165 lb defenseman but then you play Jerabek and lose in the first round instead of winning the Cup.

Bit of a stretch laying the entire first round at Djoos feet. Dude needs to add 20lbs minimum. He just doesn’t have any other significant tools in the bag to overcome his physical deficiencies otherwise.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yeah Djoos should go, I can't think of a single Swedish defenseman who didn't play physical and survived the dead puck era by being smart and good positionally and won like 7 Norris trophies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Bit of a stretch laying the entire first round at Djoos feet. Dude needs to add 20lbs minimum. He just doesn’t have any other significant tools in the bag to overcome his physical deficiencies otherwise.
Oh I put the 2 Ls on Jerabek, both OT GWers were scored by guys touching him.

Jun 15, 2007
There's room for all playing styles. Djoos is fine.

You wouldn't want a defense corps of 6 Christian Djooses but you can't have 6 Brooks Orpiks either.

Djoos makes league minimum so it's literally impossible to get a better player for cheaper.

To clear up the logjam at defense a bit, I'd try trading Johansen for a forward prospect.

Reactions: Drakon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Impossible? Lol

I’m certainly not saying to ditch the kid. He needs to add strength though or someone will pass him by on the depth chart soon enough.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If someone passes him on the depth chart it’s because they have great depth at the position, not because Djoos is bad.

He is certainly limited but I’m just not understanding the hate right now from Maaco. Dude is a perfectly cromulent 5/6 D at this point.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

If you do that with Alexeyev, you will have to expose/protect him in the expansion draft. I wouldn't be penciling him in just yet.

Djoos is fine. He's had some rock solid games this year and he was everything you can ask for from 3rd pair D in the Stanley Cup run. The price is right, too.

He can and might be traded at some point but I don't think we are there yet. Siegenthaler is nowhere close to ready for a NHL roster spot. Put him in full time right now and the board will be begging to trade him before Christmas rolls around.

Reactions: Drakon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad