Worcester Railers to join the ECHL in 2017-18

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey

Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the Railers other than the owner of the team is owning that office.

Sounds like the lawyer firm is staying there and Cliff is going to be renovating the building. The team isn't going to be facilitating the building as far as that article hints at.

But we'll see...

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
it's their branding, they should.

And it's going over huge here in Worcester. That's why they don't care one iota what non-locals think. The people expected to support the team are overwhelmingly positive about the way Railers HC is doing business.

Currently they rank in the top third of the ECHL in season tickets, and are top five in corporate sponsorship.

Not bad for an organization you think is "tacky and redundant".

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
if they did not have that support they might not have a franchise at all.

HC is redundant and will be ignored. People here are already calling them just the Railers.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
HC is redundant and will be ignored. People here are already calling them just the Railers.

Toronto should drop the "Maple" from their name too! Maple is redundant and will be ignored. People in Ontario are already calling them just the Leafs.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Y'all know the Montreal Canadiens are technically an "HC" too, right?

Their actual name is "le Club de hockey Canadien". It's even their logo.

I guess they should change their name now, seeing as it's apparently "tacky and redundant" and "a bridge too far" (whatever the heck that means).

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
I love these posts complaining about the HC part of the name... I think we should always refer to the team as the HC. I don't see what the big deal is here.

Where were these complaints 8 months ago when the name was announced?

HC!
HC!
HC!

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa

I guess they should change their name now, seeing as it's apparently "tacky and redundant" and "a bridge too far" (whatever the heck that means).

Nobody calls them 'le Club de hockey Canadien' anymore and you know that. It's Les Canadiens de Montréal

Why do you think that is?

Toronto should drop the "Maple" from their name too! Maple is redundant and will be ignored. People in Ontario are already calling them just the Leafs.

Look up the history of the name. That's like renaming the Blackhawks the Hawks. Try again.

I love these posts complaining about the HC part of the name... I think we should always refer to the team as the HC. I don't see what the big deal is here.

Where were these complaints 8 months ago when the name was announced?

Swept aside temporarily because I was glad Worcester was getting a team again. The sentiment was still there. :popcorn:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

Aw, man....210....you of all people are better than this.

Did I really need to add

:sarcasm:

.....for you?

GAuCxPf.gif

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
http://www.telegram.com/sports/20161224/worcester-railers-steam-toward-full-echl-membership

"The agreement reads," Rucker said, "that our final approval is conditional on reaching two milestones - the 1,500 season tickets and the $250,000 in corporate pledges. We're around 1,100 in season tickets and about $800,000 in signed corporate pledges with handshake agreements on another $200,000, which is four times what we need.

"We've got a month, and I'm an optimist, but 1,500 season tickets is a little far away, so I don't think we're gonna make that. But I don't think it's going to be an issue. I think the league is pleased with our progress."

It is indeed. Worcester is expected to get full ECHL membership next month when the league meets at the All-Star Classic Jan. 17 and 18 in Glens Falls, New York.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
One of my biggest pet peeves is that they're taking the number of memberships and using that number as the count for the season ticket number. They have multiple season tickets under a membership and those extras aren't being counted towards the total count. I'm sure there's a couple hundred of those memberships that have multiple tickets underneath it and for all we know they've actually reached that 1,500 mark.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
One of my biggest pet peeves is that they're taking the number of memberships and using that number as the count for the season ticket number. They have multiple season tickets under a membership and those extras aren't being counted towards the total count. I'm sure there's a couple hundred of those memberships that have multiple tickets underneath it and for all we know they've actually reached that 1,500 mark.

Based on what I've been told, this is incorrect. If a member has more than one seat they're each counted separately. So while my membership number might be 12 (for example), your number could be 13 despite me having two seats. In the overall season ticket count, my two seats are counted individually.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Based on what I've been told, this is incorrect. If a member has more than one seat they're each counted separately. So while my membership number might be 12 (for example), your number could be 13 despite me having two seats. In the overall season ticket count, my two seats are counted individually.

Well the team uses the terms "season tickets" and "members" like they are the the same thing. On their site they list it as 1066 members and in the article it is "around 1,100 season tickets" which would make you think it would be the same count.

Perhaps they've done that to make it seem like they have less than they actually have.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Well the team uses the terms "season tickets" and "members" like they are the the same thing. On their site they list it as 1066 members and in the article it is "around 1,100 season tickets" which would make you think it would be the same count.

Perhaps they've done that to make it seem like they have less than they actually have.

They use "season tickets" and "members" like they are the same thing because they are the same thing. And there's no way they're under-reporting their number. Doing that would be against everything they've done before here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad