Worcester Railers to join the ECHL in 2017-18

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
The hockey jersey t-shirt they are giving away at the Bravehearts game this year, that thing looks mint, definitely going to have to try and procure one of those.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Just saw that. Kind of a kick in the **** for this franchise and for Worcester, but O'Brien is a good guy, can't really bear him any ill will. Hopefully Myers is up to the task.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Just saw that. Kind of a kick in the **** for this franchise and for Worcester, but O'Brien is a good guy, can't really bear him any ill will. Hopefully Myers is up to the task.

Yeah but it is what it is.

O'Brien did pretty well getting the Railers name out there by doing interviews and such in the little amount of time he was with the organization. I'm just hoping Myers and any one else filling in the now vacant position can help keep the name out there while we wait for the puck to drop.

There's still plenty of time for more people to come along and changes can still be made to the staff.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Side Note/Rant:

One of my biggest pet peeves with how some things have been run with professional sports in Worcester is that there isn't that big of any media coverage doing enough to get any information about what's going on out there. Maybe it's just me but it seems you have to be searching for it or be on top of it to know what's going on.

/endrant

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Side Note/Rant:

One of my biggest pet peeves with how some things have been run with professional sports in Worcester is that there isn't that big of any media coverage doing enough to get any information about what's going on out there. Maybe it's just me but it seems you have to be searching for it or be on top of it to know what's going on.

/endrant

The Telegram and WoMag do a decent job covering the local teams, and Charter's TV-3 covers them all the time. Exactly what are you looking for?

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
The Telegram and WoMag do a decent job covering the local teams, and Charter's TV-3 covers them all the time. Exactly what are you looking for?

It just seems to me like there could be more coverage to more people who aren't already engaged in these teams. Now that I'm writing this it's probably has nothing to do with what they're already doing and it's not really their responsibility in the first place.

In my eyes, The Telegram, WoMag, and MassLive have covered more on the Railers then they did when the Sharks were around and they've picked up more after the announcement that the Sharks were leaving. It seems the Worcester Sun gets their information out before any of the other outlets, and Charter TV3 has had live games and news updates for as long as I can remember.

Anyways back to what I was thinking, there's a void that brings people in who are occasionally attend games. More people outside of the former IceCats / Sharks STHs, Boosters, and the fans who attend games every chance they get. There needs to be more engagement to bring these people in and I just have this feeling that history will repeat itself and there will be a dip in attendance after the first few seasons.

Am I just having a crazy thought or is there anything to this? :laugh:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I wonder if they are going to curtain off the upper rows, or if they just aren't going to sell season tickets there, and just make them available for single game purchase?

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
I wonder if they are going to curtain off the upper rows, or if they just aren't going to sell season tickets there, and just make them available for single game purchase?

They will probably curtain off the upper rows and not sell season tickets for those rows until a majority of the other sections are filled. The only times they had those sections open were for when there was going to be a larger crowd.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Jamie Russell has a 69-63 record with 2 seasons of coaching the Elmira Jackals and has a 70-197-37 record in 8 seasons with Michigan State.

Named coach and the GM lol? Meet player and coach Reggie Dunlop. I don't know, very skeptical about this. How can any one person truly be tasked with General Manager duties, and fulfill all the responsibility that goes along with coaching?? We're not talking the FHL, or even the SPHL, we're talking a league that has evolved into a season long developmental league which plays an important role in the chain of development of pro hockey. Coaches should concern themselves with the coaching, the hockey operations side of things. GMs should only be tasked with finances of operating the team.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
I would be willing to bet that more than half of the ECHL teams have a single person for Coach and GM. The Eagles have had it that way for 11 of their 14 years. Chris Stewart was President, GM and Coach.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I would be willing to bet that more than half of the ECHL teams have a single person for Coach and GM. The Eagles have had it that way for 11 of their 14 years. Chris Stewart was President, GM and Coach.

Looking at Wiki, it appears that's not true...which I was a little surprised at. Only two teams have HC/GM specifically listed as one person (Allen and Worcester). 12 have no GM listed at all. The rest all have different GM and HC listings.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Job titles are subjective. GM at one place and director of hockey ops can be one in the same. So yeah, half the league could be like that...

As Speed was posting that I was chatting with him on Facebook as I went thought the ECHL media guide...it looks like it's nearly 50/50 on it being one person vs two.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Named coach and the GM lol? Meet player and coach Reggie Dunlop. I don't know, very skeptical about this. How can any one person truly be tasked with General Manager duties, and fulfill all the responsibility that goes along with coaching?? We're not talking the FHL, or even the SPHL, we're talking a league that has evolved into a season long developmental league which plays an important role in the chain of development of pro hockey. Coaches should concern themselves with the coaching, the hockey operations side of things. GMs should only be tasked with finances of operating the team.

You do realize that there have been people who have held the role of GM/Coach in the NHL? I don't really see what skeptical about it?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Job titles are subjective. GM at one place and director of hockey ops can be one in the same. So yeah, half the league could be like that...

Exactly. Depends on how your define "GM". If you are talking about the job often done by the GM of a major league level team - scouting, negotiating contracts, deciding who will be on the roster, etc, that is almost always done by the coach in the ECHL. If you are talking about running the business side of the team (overseeing ticket sales, negotiating the arena lease, attending league meetings, hiring game day staff, deciding on merchandising, advertising, etc) that is normally someone else. They might be called President or some other title though. There might be a few coaches who have oversight of the whole operation, but even then they are going to have someone else under them who handles the day to day business tasks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad