Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
http://www.telegram.com/article/20151021/SPORTS/151029785

By Bill Ballou
Telegram & Gazette Staff

Posted Oct. 21, 2015 at 6:53 PM
Updated at 7:30 PM

WORCESTER — The city’s second professional hockey hiatus may last only as long as its first — one winter.

Eastern Mass. businessman Cliff Rucker has been in serious talks with the DCU Center about locating an East Coast Hockey League franchise there next season, according to multiple sources.

Last edited:

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
A Worcester Bruins ECHL team would be a success, I really believe that.

What Worcester needs to make sure of is that they don't get caught up in this nonsense that many smaller cities take where it's AHL-or-bust. I know Worcester has an AHL history but the AHL as a league is moving away from the days where there was a New England Division and towards having teams as close to their parents as possible.

Getting a tenant in the Centrum is the most important thing, and while I agree that some random affiliation team in the ECHL would not work, the Bruins affiliate would. They know it, the Bruins know it too I think, so hopefully they can get that done.

The Bruins have a two year deal with the Gladiators, but if Worcester landed an ECHL team for next season, I imagine Boston would be able to leave Atlanta without too much issue and set up shop at the AA level in Worcester. That would be great for hockey up here.

js957

Jun 24, 2015
http://www.telegram.com/article/20151021/SPORTS/151029785

By Bill Ballou
Telegram & Gazette Staff

Posted Oct. 21, 2015 at 6:53 PM
Updated at 7:30 PM

WORCESTER — The city’s second professional hockey hiatus may last only as long as its first — one winter.

Eastern Mass. businessman Cliff Rucker has been in serious talks with the DCU Center about locating an East Coast Hockey League franchise there next season, according to multiple sources.
i wonder why the p bruins talks fell apart i wonder if in the conversation someone suggested if the bruins echl team in Worcester was successful they should swap leagues at one point and the provdence bruins backed out because of that

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
I take it you haven't read the article posted.

I read it, including that half a line about Providence. I don't think they'd ever seriously consider moving, but you would know better than I.

Worcester should be focused on getting an ECHL team, that's the most realistic option to get hockey back and a tenant in the Centrum. May not be ideal to some but it's what's available.

I know Renfroe has the NESC and there's been rumors since he bought the team 10 years ago that they could move to the Worcester area, but until the city of Providence gives him a reason to leave I don't think he's going to do it.

Speed

Jan 7, 2004
Holden, MA
www.sharksboosters.com
I read it, including that half a line about Providence. I don't think they'd ever seriously consider moving, but you would know better than I.

Worcester should be focused on getting an ECHL team, that's the most realistic option to get hockey back and a tenant in the Centrum. May not be ideal to some but it's what's available.

I know Renfroe has the NESC and there's been rumors since he bought the team 10 years ago that they could move to the Worcester area, but until the city of Providence gives him a reason to leave I don't think he's going to do it.

You read it wrong.
"One group with Central Mass. ties explored the ECHL possibilities and the arena reportedly was very close to finalizing an agreement with representatives of the Providence Bruins before that unexpectedly fell apart."

This meant an ECHL group was looking for Providence to manage operations for them. Providence Bruins are part of a group called PSG Agency. The office of PSG is basically the PBruins office.

Worcester is and has been focused on getthing an ECHL Team - not an AHL team. Why you keep thinking otherwise, I have no idea. It has to be explored, of course, but focus has been ECHL. It is only coimmon sense, since AHL is moving more teams out of New England/NY and more ECHL coming in (or has the ability to).

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

To piggy-back Speed's post, the chances of Renfroe moving the PBruins to Worcester are extremely slim (not zero, but certainly close to that). Should he ever be interested in putting a team in Worcester the odds say it would be an ECHL team under the PSG umbrella. In fact, it makes financial sense for him to do so if possible.

js957

Jun 24, 2015
What P-Bruins talks? The P-Bruins are going to move or switch leagues, they're extremely successful there's no reason to.
a lot of the p bruins success comes from the fact that they carry the bruins name i really don't think they would be nearly as successful if they where the Providence devils

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
To piggy-back Speed's post, the chances of Renfroe moving the PBruins to Worcester are extremely slim (not zero, but certainly close to that). Should he ever be interested in putting a team in Worcester the odds say it would be an ECHL team under the PSG umbrella. In fact, it makes financial sense for him to do so if possible.

Let's hope he or someone else does. They would be a good draw for the city, and it would be nice to have hockey back after only a year hiatus.

a lot of the p bruins success comes from the fact that they carry the bruins name i really don't think they would be nearly as successful if they where the Providence devils

Yeah, no one's going to dispute that. Prov is still a good market for the AHL even if it weren't the Bruins. A team that was run competently would be fine. You mention the Devils, notoriously tough partners for AHL teams, no one's been real successful with them as the parent.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

Sure, you can move a Bruins team to anywhere in NE and do well, but people generally love coming to Providence as a city and the Dunk is as good as any arena in New England.

But that front office does not sit on their laurels when it comes to selling tickets. If Worcester got PSE in there to run things for an ECHL club at some point, they will do well off more than just the name.

Funny enough, the Devils were this close to moving here in 1992. Thankfully Anderson and Duross came through instead with the Mariners. **** Lou! He'd probably refuse to call them the Reds! (Which would be their name for almost any franchise other than the Bruins)

Last edited:

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Hey let's hope it happens. Getting hockey back at the Centrum would be great; it's going to be a longer winter with no games to go to.

Affiliating with the Bruins is not a given, though obviously it's a priority. I'm certainly not familiar with the ins and outs of the deals, but the B's have a two-year agreement with the Gladiators in Atlanta. How easy would it be for them to get out of year two of that deal?

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Hey let's hope it happens. Getting hockey back at the Centrum would be great; it's going to be a longer winter with no games to go to.

Affiliating with the Bruins is not a given, though obviously it's a priority. I'm certainly not familiar with the ins and outs of the deals, but the B's have a two-year agreement with the Gladiators in Atlanta. How easy would it be for them to get out of year two of that deal?

Enough money will get you out of anything.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey

ECHL affiliations are considerably less formal than NHL-AHL agreements.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Enough money will get you out of anything.

Of course, a very valid point. We'l see what happens but I hope "enough" money isn't "too much" lol.

ECHL affiliations are considerably less formal than NHL-AHL agreements.

I figured as much. It's clearly something that any owner trying to bring the ECHL to Worcester is going to want, that B's affiliation. It definitely could be the difference between success and failure.

If the team ends up as the Worcester Bruins, which you would have to imagine it would, what's the nickname though? I'd say Dub-Bruins or Woo-Bruins. These are the important things that need to be settled :laugh:

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
I figured as much. It's clearly something that any owner trying to bring the ECHL to Worcester is going to want, that B's affiliation. It definitely could be the difference between success and failure.

If the team ends up as the Worcester Bruins, which you would have to imagine it would, what's the nickname though? I'd say Dub-Bruins or Woo-Bruins. These are the important things that need to be settled :laugh:

The Bruins affiliation would be the best bet, there's no denying that and everyone seems to agree on that. It could be a year or two before that could happen if the Bruins want to continue the contract with Atlanta or until they realize that a Worcester team would fit into their organization well.

It's still a possibility that the team won't have an affiliation with any team unless they make that a requirement for any new franchises, similar to how the AHL teams must be affiliated with NHL teams. The IceCats' did not have any affiliation the first year of their existence and that was arguably one of their better years in terms of attendance.

The name doesn't have to be Bruins, I highly doubt the name will be Worcester Bruins if the team indeed does get the affiliation. No ECHL team takes the same name directly from their AHL or NHL affiliate, and I think it would be best if we had something different or original. Something that's local to the city would be best. The possibility of reviving the IceCats' name has been brought up many times.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
The Bruins affiliation would be the best bet, there's no denying that and everyone seems to agree on that. It could be a year or two before that could happen if the Bruins want to continue the contract with Atlanta or until they realize that a Worcester team would fit into their organization well.

The way they operate I would be surprised if they didn't go to Worcester as soon as they could. I think they would much rather have that ability to drive an hour and see their prospects.

It's still a possibility that the team won't have an affiliation with any team unless they make that a requirement for any new franchises, similar to how the AHL teams must be affiliated with NHL teams. The IceCats' did not have any affiliation the first year of their existence and that was arguably one of their better years in terms of attendance.

Right but as you said, that was their first year and the first year the Centrum had a hockey tenant in general. I don't think the fact that they were unaffiliated had much of an effect at all on the attendance, rather it was the new game in town.

The name doesn't have to be Bruins, I highly doubt the name will be Worcester Bruins if the team indeed does get the affiliation. No ECHL team takes the same name directly from their AHL or NHL affiliate, and I think it would be best if we had something different or original. Something that's local to the city would be best. The possibility of reviving the IceCats' name has been brought up many times.

I wouldn't hate the IceCats as the name with a black & gold theme, not at all. But there have been teams that branded all the way down to the ECHL level (the Devils did it) with their parent club names.

If they want to help ensure success, naming the team the Bruins (if affiliated with Boston) is a surefire way to do that. It just helps. But I also agree that were the team named the IceCats that would also lead to success. Would it be better if they were named the Bruins or the IceCats? Hard to say, but I would say that I think it's probably one or the other.

Last edited:

Speed

Jan 7, 2004
Holden, MA
www.sharksboosters.com
Re: Bruins affiliation + name:

Who knows what is in the affiliation agreement contract. It could be 2 1-yr deals. It could have a clause that either party can back out as long as Atlanta has another affiliation lined up. OR there could just be a penalty.

Also a possibility - Say Worcester and the Bruins really, really like each other and want to have that affiliation, but can't till '17-'18. I don't any reason why the team couldn't be called the Bruins for '16-'17 - with the Bruins permission of course. This is assuming that is the preferred team name.

Best success I think is to call them the Bruins. Same black and gold. The casual fans and families will eat that up. Can always have throwback "IceCats" night and bring back the old uniforms and Scratch.

Re: 1st year attendance wasn't just good due to being new, but the amount of free tickets given out. They papered the house pretty good back then. :D

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Yeah the IceCats nights that they had with the Sharks always seemed pretty popular, I'd imagine if the team weren't named the IceCats they'd continue that.

Naming them the Bruins, like you said, is the #1 way to bring in more casual fans, which they will need. It's a strong brand and using that branding all the way through the organization is a good thing IMO.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
http://www.telegram.com/article/20151101/SPORTS/151109902/101360/NEWS

Mr. IceCat Terry Virtue on returning to Worcester and Hockey:

“I have a passion for coaching,” he said, “but I’m only a dad once, and that’s why I stepped away from it, because I wanted to be a dad coaching him. But eventually, with the right situation, I do want to get back into coaching, once he gets older and I’m not taking away from my family.”

Virtue has remained in the loop regarding the city’s possible return to professional hockey, most likely in the ECHL.

“That’s part of me coming back this way,” he said, “knowing that something like that might happen here. Worcester means a lot to me, and I know that pro hockey means a lot to the city. I’d think I’d like to be part of helping it succeed.”

Last edited:

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Unfortunately, the team will most likely not be named the IceCats. Whitehawks has been trademarked, though the owner is open to different nicknames.

I liked that the report mentioned Indianapolis as a former AHL market. We haven't had an AHL team in nearly 60 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad