Wooing Matt O'Connor to Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
It makes a lot of sense for him to the Rangers, their AHL team is better than ours

Our AHL team currently blows

Reinforcements are coming though and a lot of our AHL team blowing was on hammond.

Apparently Dreigder went 6-0 in Bingo with a .923 save percentage
Greenham went 15-11-1 with a .916 save percentage
Hammond went 7-13 with a .898 save percentage

Bingo wasnt as good as previous years but it shouldnt of sucked so badly. A big issue was lack of discipline and lack of pps

Its not a safe bet bingo sucks next year

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Reinforcements are coming though and a lot of our AHL team blowing was on hammond.

Apparently Dreigder went 6-0 in Bingo with a .923 save percentage
Greenham went 15-11-1 with a .916 save percentage
Hammond went 7-13 with a .898 save percentage

Bingo wasnt as good as previous years but it shouldnt of sucked so badly. A big issue was lack of discipline and lack of pps

Its not a safe bet bingo sucks next year

AND the graduations to the NHL team by guys like Stone, Pageau, Boro... never getting Lazar...

To be expected.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I didn't mean to rail on Bingo, a lot of talent left so you are right to claim this was expected

However O'Connor, who will definitely be in the AHL next year, can choose between a team that is currently in the playoff in Hartford or a team that had a really poor year in Bingo

I don't think it's a stretch to claim Harford is the more attractive option

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
I didn't mean to rail on Bingo, a lot of talent left so you are right to claim this was expected

However O'Connor, who will definitely be in the AHL next year, can choose between a team that is currently in the playoff in Hartford or a team that had a really poor year in Bingo

I don't think it's a stretch to claim Harford is the more attractive option

Sure because that is the only consideration he should be basing his decision on. Forget about who gives him the best opportunity to develop into an NHL goalie, or who has the best goalie coach, or who has the history with giving college UFAs the best opportunity at an NHL job, or any of the myriad of other factors, all he has to do is look at the record of a team's AHL franchise to make his decision....whatever.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sure because that is the only consideration he should be basing his decision on. Forget about who gives him the best opportunity to develop into an NHL goalie, or who has the best goalie coach, or who has the history with giving college UFAs the best opportunity at an NHL job, or any of the myriad of other factors, all he has to do is look at the record of a team's AHL franchise to make his decision....whatever.

The first step is the AHL. If you don't have a reasonable expectation of developing in a good AHL system, you won't survive to get to step #2.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The Rangers offer a chance to work with Lundqvist's goalie coach and a team that has shown they are playoff material (Richardson hasn't won a single playoff round with Bingo)

We have a good history of giving College UFAs a shot and have weaker depth than the Rangers in net and have good goalie coaching (I won't argue who's better, I have no idea)

I still think the Rangers are the better option for him

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The first step is the AHL. If you don't have a reasonable expectation of developing in a good AHL system, you won't survive to get to step #2.

Is Bingo having a hard time developint players though? I mean, sure they weren't a great team, but that doesn't mean they aren't doing a good job of development. If anything their struggles this year is in part a direct result of the quality job they've done developing talent.

AHL teams always go through ebb and flows as top prospects come in and out. I think since Murray took over, we've done a pretty good job of restocking the team and proven that it isn't just an afterthought.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Is Bingo having a hard time developint players though? I mean, sure they weren't a great team, but that doesn't mean they aren't doing a good job of development. If anything their struggles this year is in part a direct result of the quality job they've done developing talent.

AHL teams always go through ebb and flows as top prospects come in and out. I think since Murray took over, we've done a pretty good job of restocking the team and proven that it isn't just an afterthought.

I think Bingo has done well so far. With teams wooing Richardson, that might change next year. No idea.

But for O'Connor, one of his considerations has to be going to a place that develops their guys well (as in, NOT Edmonton).

It was more a response to Kickabrat who seems to want to skip a step or two.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
There is no chance lazar will be in the Ahl.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. Only reason he wasn't there this year was because he wasn't eligible. Next season, with Prince and Puempel both knocking on the door, having that roster spot opened up could be a win for everyone involved.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The issue is he could be 3-5 years with there farm teams while in Ottawa it would be a year maybe 2.

We have to sell him the hope that Bingo won't suck next year because
-The headcoach will hopefully be staying
-The players that are incoming will be good

While Hartford can sell the cold hard facts that their team was solid this year and have won a round

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There is no chance lazar will be in the Ahl.

There was no chance Zibanejad was going to be in the AHL after play 42 of 48 games in the lockout season and following that up with a strong showing in the playoffs, but low and behold, he started off in the AHL while Pageau and DaCosta played in the NHL.

I highly doubt Lazar plays the full year in the AHL, but he could certainly see some games while the team tries to figure out what it has in guys like Puempel, Prince, and whoever else might impress at camp.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Starting Lazar in the AHL also lets us give a few test runs at prospects that other teams might be interested in

Unless Lazar really impresses at camp I think it's fair to say he'll be starting next season in the AHL but won't be there for very long

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

I think Bingo has done well so far. With teams wooing Richardson, that might change next year. No idea.

But for O'Connor, one of his considerations has to be going to a place that develops their guys well (as in, NOT Edmonton).

It was more a response to Kickabrat who seems to want to skip a step or two.

I don't think he skipped a step, just pointed out that O'Connor probably has a lot more going into his decision than what AHL team is more likely to be a playoff team next year, especially since making the playoffs does not guarantee that a team is doing a good job developing their goalies. You both pretty much said the same thing, that he will have to consider which team can best help him develop into an NHL goalie.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Of course Bingo stuggled last year, we gutted them. This year, hopefully, will be a lot better.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Chiarelli probably needed to make contact after he was installed. I'm sure there is a lot of jockeying to show interest.

He'll take another week or two as the playoffs roll on and capture a good moment to maximize his spotlight and announce his choice.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie
Rangers and Matt O'Connor had follow-up conversation this week, but team did not get indication of how BU free agent goaltender is leaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad