Post-Game Talk: Woof. Coyotes - 3, Penguins - 2

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Im sure DB talks about discipline to the players but when it keeps on happening its up to somebody in that room to sit down with Neal and tell him hes gotta stop.

Or maybe DB can, you know, bench a guy if he's not getting the message? It's just common sense. If DB is preaching discipline and players are continuing to play undisciplined, he sits them.

Yet somehow that's not his job to do that? It's up to the other players?

If Neal (since we seem to be on him at the moment) is playing undisciplined hockey, DB should bench him. Reduce his ice time, take him off the first PP unit, whatever. But DB does nothing of the sort.

DB has the power to make players learn. Sidney Crosby doesn't have the power to tell Neal to smarten up or he's in the press box. DB does.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
So you saying Errey who was a captain in this league and a Stanley cup winner has no idea what hes talking about?

How would you know? have you ever played in the NHL?

errey's not wrong. you're just incapable of understanding him. it is not the coach's responsibility or the players' to ensure discipline. it's both of theirs and you're incapable of seeing it. obviously the pens are lacking it at least one of these. almost definitely it's both of them. the players are trying to fix it. the coach isn't and you're trying to excuse him

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Do you honestly think Errey is going to call out DB on the air? Of course not. It's alot easier to blame things on the players rather than the organization. Ownership on down to the coach, the get along gang has allowed this ******** to continue.

Errey kind of called out DB today for Iginla playing LW.

Steigy and Errey don't say anything negative about the pens during games but they aren't afraid to call out the coach or players when they do interviews.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Dejan Kovacevic @Dejan_Kovacevic

Thursday column will challenge #Pens leadership. Not those guys who piped up last night, but those who can effect real change. ONLINE AT 11

DUNNNN dunnnn

dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

About time. But I wait to see what he will challenge.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No, you don't have to have a players meeting, the entire team doesn't have a problem with taking stupid penalties, the main problems are Geno and Neal, somebody in that locker room needs to go up to those players and let them know they need to get there **** together.

Look at the Paul Stewart Article

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul...ster-Child-for-Whats-Wrong-With8230/196/58889

When I was an active referee, I would tell the team leaders and the coach to get control of such players or I would have to do it for them -- and they wouldn't like the result. If I told Ray Bourque or Dave Poulin to get someone on their team in line, I never had another problem with that guy. I would hope Sidney Crosby could be told the same thing by an official, but I have not seen that sort of leadership from him.

You are talking about one game. I'm talking about a season, two seasons, three seasons, etc.

You think Crosby doesn't eventually say ****? I was at the game last night and saw him in the ear of half a dozen guys when they made mistakes. I've seen him bark at a number of guys over the years and all the games I've been to. Maybe it's some gigantic coincidence he does this when I'm there? I guess he knows I'm coming and wants to make sure I see that, perhaps? Cause Sid is worried about me seeing this stuff I'm sure.

Is it his responsibility to talk to Neal a dozen times a season about the same garbage? What the hell is he going to say at this point that I'm sure he hasn't said already? Should he challenge him to a fight behind the rink after the game?

This is DB problem. Bench him. Grow some balls and start sending a message for once that ALL players on this team are accountable for their actions. Not just rookies and waiver fodder.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Thursday column will challenge #Pens leadership. Not those guys who piped up last night, but those who can effect real change. ONLINE AT 11

DUNNNN dunnnn

Titled "God Damn It Crosby and Malkin: Bylsma, Adams and Orpik Do All They Can but Those Two are Failing Them"

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You are talking about one game. I'm talking about a season, two seasons, three seasons, etc.

You think Crosby doesn't eventually say ****? I was at the game last night and saw him in the ear of half a dozen guys when they made mistakes. I've seen him bark at a number of guys over the years and all the games I've been to. Maybe it's some gigantic coincidence he does this when I'm there? I guess he knows I'm coming and wants to make sure I see that, perhaps? Cause Sid is worried about me seeing this stuff I'm sure.

Is it his responsibility to talk to Neal a dozen times a season about the same garbage? What the hell is he going to say at this point that I'm sure he hasn't said already? Should he challenge him to,a fight behind the rink after the game?

This is DB problem. Bench him. Grow some balls and start sending a message for once that ALL players on this team are accountable for their actions. Not just rookies and waiver fodder.

We don't know what Crosby is talking about on the bench but i doubt hes talking to players about this, i bet its X's and O's talk.

I put the most blame on Geno not Sid, Geno is suppose to be one of the leaders on the team, Geno is suppose to be one of the players that goes up to a player like Neal and tells him he needs to get his **** together, unfortunately Geno is one of the biggest problems when it comes to discipline.

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh

DUNNNN dunnnn

Boy, I hope it's about Sid!

Props for using the verb 'effect' correctly, though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We don't know what Crosby is talking about on the bench but i doubt hes talking to players about this, i bet its X's and O's talk.

I'm 100% sure he's been barking at guys about stuff. It isn't a constant thing, but from the body language I have zero doubt.

I'm 100% sure he barked at Gibbons and Nisky last night for horrible turnovers.

I put the most blame on Geno not Sid, Geno is suppose to be one of the leaders on the team, Geno is suppose to be one of the players that goes up to a player like Neal and tells him he needs to get his **** together, unfortunately Geno is one of the biggest problems when it comes to discipline.

Ya, I agree. And guess what, who is going to talk to Malkin? Crosby? I'm sure he has.

Again, that's DB problem. He allows him to get away with this crap. Take away his ice time. Bench him for a period. Grow some balls. I know DB is scared of Malkin and Crosby and doesn't have much control over them, but it's time he steps up or he won't have a job anymore.

If Bowman could orchestrate a fake trade to show the Great Steve Yzerman he wasn't more important than the team, DB can certainly take a few shifts away from Geno when he gets stupid.

That is how you get his attention. That's how you show your players no one is above the the team.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Really? Some are upset that Crosby isn't a rah rah Captain?

He always led by example.

This team has a lot of issues, but Crosby's leadership isn't one of them.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm convinced that Orpik shot that puck into Crosby's face to break his jaw and start his ascent to captaincy.

Or maybe I've seen too much Game of Thrones recently.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012

DUNNNN dunnnn

Everybody light your torches and sharpen your pitchforks - there's a witch hunt coming.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So to summarize the team's problems according to cheesedanish:

Discipline is the team's problem and Crosby needs to hold the team accountable. Also, Geno and Neal are the biggest offenders and Geno is supposed to be a leader so it's mostly his problem. Therefore, the team's problems are mostly Sid and Geno's fault.

Cool story dude.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
So to summarize the team's problems according to cheesedanish:

Discipline is the team's problem and Crosby needs to hold the team accountable. Also, Geno and Neal are the biggest offenders and Geno is supposed to be a leader so it's mostly his problem. Therefore, the team's problems are mostly Sid and Geno's fault.

Cool story dude.

I didn't say all that.

I said for the most part discipline is a players problem.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
You don't even have to bench a guy. Take Neal or Geno off of ONE powerplay after a bad penalty, or even put them on the second unit (that gets around 20 seconds)

But no, he'll pick on rookies, and Jokinen who can technically be up for the Lady Byng for how little time he spends in the box.

You know what's actually worse than not setting ANY example? Picking easy targets. Players see through this and actually lose respect for you.

So it's up to the players to find offense in a chip and chase system that's doomed to fail

It's up to the players to discipline themselves and each other

It's up to the players to play a system that fails miserably time and again without changes or adjustments. It's always about "execution" and "getting to our game"

So if he's not there to police his players or teach them a plan B or C when other teams inevitably adjust, being head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins is no harder than being a security guard in an empty lobby who can watch TV and do crossword puzzles for an entire shift.

Sign me the **** up for that gig!

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I didn't say all that.

I said for the most part discipline is a players problem.

I agree with a lot of your posts, but I think you're way off, here.

A captain can be argued to be responsible for bringing a single stray sheep back into the fold, but the Penguins undisciplined play is, at this point, institutional.

Crosby can't be micromanaging Letang's risk-taking, can't be yelling at Adams to put some freaking muscle on his clears, Geno to quit drop passing in the D zone, Geno to quit taking stupid penalties, Neal for just generally being a ****head, Orpik for being a selfish passenger, Scuds for feeding his partner bombs, Despres for overcomplicating things, Gibbons for not keeping his head up, and Sutter for not giving a **** unless he's been publicly shamed of late.

I mean, this is too much for a player to handle. That's why the notion of a player-coach went extinct and coach-only coach became a full-time job, then two full time jobs, and eventually four full-time jobs.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I agree with a lot of your posts, but I think you're way off, here.

A captain can be argued to be responsible for bringing a single stray sheep back into the fold, but the Penguins undisciplined play is, at this point, institutional.

Crosby can't be micromanaging Letang's risk-taking, can't be yelling at Adams to put some freaking muscle on his clears, Geno to quit drop passing in the D zone, Geno to quit taking stupid penalties, Neal for just generally being a ****head, Orpik for being a selfish passenger, Scuds for feeding his partner bombs, Despres for overcomplicating things, Gibbons for not keeping his head up, and Sutter for not giving a **** unless he's been publicly shamed of late.

I mean, this is too much for a player to handle. That's why the notion of a player-coach went extinct and coach-only coach became a full-time job, then two full time jobs, and eventually four full-time jobs.

To be honest hearing Errey talking about this and reading the article on Stewart is a big reason for my opinion.

I was never in a hockey locker room, i don't know how things work in there, Errey would he was a captain.

You throw in the fact that Shero always seems to go after those veteran leaders it makes me think they have a problem with leadership in the locker room.

Last edited:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Only if they were more disciplined, all of sudden 4 and 44 would be great players, t Gladams would set the world on fire, thh they would know how to skate out of our zone, that cycle would be mean and devastating, etc....

what a joke.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
To be honest hearing Errey talking about this and reading the article on Stewart is a big reason for my opinion.

I was never in a hockey locker room, i don't know how things work in there, Errey would he was a captain.

You throw in the fact that Shero always seems to go after those veteran leaders it makes me think they have a problem with leadership in the locker room.

Maybe if he were willing to get a better coach that actually holds players accountable, Shero can spend more of his resources building an actual team rather than trying to find "veteran leaders." It seems like he wants to do everything short of firing Bylsma, but that's the move Shero desperately needs to make.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
@JoshYohe_Trib 2m Pens held a player only meeting after the game. Sounds like Orpik did most of the talking.

:laugh:

Stopped reading right here. I have found exclusive text from the Orpik speech:

"Guys... we're better than this! I've played like stir-fried turd burgers all year -- I grant you that. This ****ing hernia thing again, man. I know that I'm on the ice, drifting around the paint on almost every bad goal we've given up the last 6 months.... but you guys have GOT to try harder, man! It's all about intensity. Have you seen the intensity with which I stare at the refs when I'm not playing? Stare at my opponent?

Common guys, TAKE some responsibility. Look at me, I am taking full responsibility for the fact that I have hung my goalie out to dry about 97 times this season -- that's what winning attitude is all about. Responsibility! "

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad